What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

Abbeydale Junior School until 1956 and then passed the 11+ (who remembers that) to go to Greystones. In 1957 Greystones girls and Rowlinson girls went to start the brand new all girls, King Ecgbert Technical school at Totley, which opened in 1957 and Greystones boys went up to Rowlinsons and formed a boys school. The school was off Furniss Ave and at that time, the bus dropped us at the bottom of Bushey Wood Road ( I think it was) and we walked the rest of the way. Not too sure about the schools now as I don't live in Sheffield anymore, think there's a new King Ecgbert's, but of course it won't be an all girls school now.

Abbeydale Junior School until 1956 and then passed the 11+ (who remembers that) to go to Greystones. In 1957 Greystones girls and Rowlinson girls went to start the brand new all girls, King Ecgbert Technical school at Totley, which opened in 1957 and Greystones boys went up to Rowlinsons and formed a boys school. The school was off Furniss Ave and at that time, the bus dropped us at the bottom of Bushey Wood Road ( I think it was) and we walked the rest of the way. Not too sure about the schools now as I don't live in Sheffield anymore, think there's a new King Ecgbert's, but of course it won't be an all girls school now.

For the benefit of new members I have brought this topic back to the top

For the benefit of new members I have brought this topic back to the top

Thanks for bringing it up to the top Stuart.

One of our new members, shellybarnes, has already picked us up on schools in the Norfolk School thread, - another ex student of the old school.

Guest stalborg

Frecheville Comp

Year left 1983

Now it is demolished and houses has been built on the site, exept for the youth club..which I think doesn't exist anymore anyway..what a shame!

I went to Frecheville and left in 1983 too.

Guest stalborg

Frecheville Comp

Year left 1983

Now it is demolished and houses has been built on the site, exept for the youth club..which I think doesn't exist anymore anyway..what a shame!

I went to Frecheville and left in 1983 too.

Guest ellenaitch

Went to Owler Lane briefly then Shiregreen school on Bracken Road 1951 (now sadly demolished so no trip down memory lane) then to City Grammar School 1957 www.omnesamici.co.uk

I wonder if we knew each other?

I went to Owler Lane (1949)

Grimesthorpe (1951)

Sheffield City Grammer in 1955.

Guest moonstone49

I went to Coleridge Road School, Darnall... left in 1965. The boys school is now demolished and I think the girls school is some sort of special needs school.

Would love to hear from anyone who attended this school.

I went to Coleridge Road School, Darnall... left in 1965. The boys school is now demolished and I think the girls school is some sort of special needs school.

Was Coleridge Rd a junior school or senior school?

blackboard jungle (wybourn high) cos its on top ora hill hehe.... and manor lodge or lane back then

Wybourn high prior to 1969 when it was closed under the Comprehensive School reorganisation and its students were bused up to Norfolk and Hurlfield on the Arbourthorne.

There's more about Wybourn closure and the effect of the 1969 reorganisation in the Norfolk school Arbourthorne thread.

Guest plain talker

Was Coleridge Rd a junior school or senior school?

My late mother, and her sisters went there in the 1950's to 1960's. At that time, it was a senior school (Not sure whether it as dubbed a "secondary Modern" or what, but it was definitely a "senior" school )

My late mother, and her sisters went there in the 1950's to 1960's. At that time, it was a senior school (Not sure whether it as dubbed a "secondary Modern" or what, but it was definitely a "senior" school )

"High schools" were posh names for senior schools that were "secondary modern", ie - NOT grammar schools that you had to pass your 11+ to get into. Many schools went through a short period prior to becoming Comprehensive of being called a High School, even my old school was briefly called "Norfolk High"

I also went to this school 1973-76 which by then was know as Concord Middle School on Bracken Road and rather bizarrely there was another school right next door called Shiregreen Middle School. Prior to that they were both Shiregreen Schools and as can be seen on this photo - were know as something else before that.

I understand the school was used as a hopital for wounded soldiers during the 1st World War.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s06522

I also went to this school 1973-76 which by then was know as Concord Middle School on Bracken Road and rather bizarrely there was another school right next door called Shiregreen Middle School. Prior to that they were both Shiregreen Schools and as can be seen on this photo - were know as something else before that.

I understand the school was used as a hopital for wounded soldiers during the 1st World War.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s06522

And then they knocked it down and replace by this - Looks like it's called Hinde House School - I thought there was one of those already!

Guest Falls

Hi,

I went to Burngreave Secondary Modern (1948-51). You had to be recommended to go there. Usually by a Judge or Magistrate.

Only kidding.

Regards

Hi,

St Patricks Sheffield Lane top when Sister Pauline was the headteacher and Sister John was still teaching 1969-1974 cos we had to move to Bakewell as Fearnehoughs where my dad worked relocated to Bakewell from Sheffield. Still standing but I dont know if any nuns still teach there?

Bakewell Methodist School 1974- 1976

Lady Manners Bakewell - hated that school ! 1976-1978

Bradfield secondary school Sheffield 1978-1983ish (because I didnt want to go all the way across town to Note Dame !) still standing and is now an oversubscribed well respected school.

Karen

Lady Manners Bakewell - hated that school ! 1976-1978

Karen

I teach in NE Derbyshire and Lady Manners is highly regarded school, according to OFSTED one of the best in the county.

Why did you find it so bad?

I teach in NE Derbyshire and Lady Manners is highly regarded school, according to OFSTED one of the best in the county.

Why did you find it so bad?

I think because at the time it had been dragged kicking and screaming from a grammar school and the headmaster wasnt keen on just letting anyone in but he had to.

It wasnt a very sympathetic school if you didnt have much money and couldnt afford the full uniform, ie I didnt have a blazer and I lost count of the number of times I was stopped on the school corridor by a teacher being asked where it was !!! You needed different PE kits for hockey, tennis etc, special baskets for cookery. It wa a nightmare to be there if you were a poor kid.

Nothing to do with the teaching it had very good facilities it just didnt really cater for differing home circumstances.

I think because at the time it had been dragged kicking and screaming from a grammar school and the headmaster wasnt keen on just letting anyone in but he had to.

It wasnt a very sympathetic school if you didnt have much money and couldnt afford the full uniform, ie I didnt have a blazer and I lost count of the number of times I was stopped on the school corridor by a teacher being asked where it was !!! You needed different PE kits for hockey, tennis etc, special baskets for cookery. It wa a nightmare to be there if you were a poor kid.

Nothing to do with the teaching it had very good facilities it just didnt really cater for differing home circumstances.

Ok thanks for that winter64.

I must admit that this particular area of Derbyshire does seem to be quite affluent so i can see where the attitudes you describe may have come from.

Guest horaceelam

I went there from 1946 - 1950 its title was COLERIDGE ROAD SECONDARY MODERN SCHOOL,it was divided into two parts separated by a 6ft high wall one the girl's school and the other a boy's only school.It was originally an all age school for children between the ages of 5-14yrs,it later changed to a Secondary School when Phillimore Road Infant's and Junior school came into being in the 1920's.After the second world war a pre-fab single story building was added to the boy's school in the playground facing Coleridge Road.horaceelam

Guest horaceelam

I went to Coleridge Road School from 1945 - 1950,I was in the boy's school.My sister attended the Girl's school from 1953 - 1958. My mother and her sister attended there between 1918 -1930.

Hello. I went to Standhouse School on the Manor, which I am surprised is still standing, in the early 60's - can't recall much about it though! Anyone got any info or pics?

I then went to Norfolk Junior School and then moved into the senior school, leaving in 1974, so am really interested in your site, particularly the photo's - well done everyone - I am loving it.

Another Norfolk member to add to your numbers!

Not many Thornbridge Old Boys on the list - Only Smiffster!! I was there from '61 to '66. Who could ever forget Mr Snook, our fearsome headmaster who wrote the latin textbook. Before that, Rainbow Forge at Hackenthorpe, the equally fearsome headmistress Miss Cantor who could weild a cane with the best of them. And before that, Hackenthorpe infants School, a tiny 2 roomed Victorian workhouse in old Hackenthorpe village. When we came back from Oz in '95 for a visit, the school was almost derelict and up for sale. For just one fleeting moment I had visions of buying my old school. I suppose it's a private residence now??

Not many Thornbridge Old Boys on the list - Only Smiffster!! I was there from '61 to '66. Who could ever forget Mr Snook, our fearsome headmaster who wrote the latin textbook. Before that, Rainbow Forge at Hackenthorpe, the equally fearsome headmistress Miss Cantor who could weild a cane with the best of them. And before that, Hackenthorpe infants School, a tiny 2 roomed Victorian workhouse in old Hackenthorpe village. When we came back from Oz in '95 for a visit, the school was almost derelict and up for sale. For just one fleeting moment I had visions of buying my old school. I suppose it's a private residence now??

I have lots of memories of The Village School Phil. Now a private residence, no, sorry, no such luck -- they flattened it some years ago. It's now just some modern houses. I've got some photos past and present. I think I posted them on here a while ago, but I'll re-post them if i can't find where.

Very little information available on Cotleigh House I'm afraid. (at least not that I can find) I lived right opposite it from 1953. There were still a few people living there at the time. No one in our family has any photos and I can't find any on the net.

I'll get some memories together re both and post them soon.

I was at Thornbridge as well. If you were there 61 - 66, then you must have been at the Village School at about the same time as me. (And obviously at Rainbow Forge also.)

Give me a while and I'll get some stuff together to post.

I have lots of memories of The Village School Phil. Now a private residence, no, sorry, no such luck -- they flattened it some years ago. It's now just some modern houses. I've got some photos past and present. I think I posted them on here a while ago, but I'll re-post them if i can't find where.

Very little information available on Cotleigh House I'm afraid. (at least not that I can find) I lived right opposite it from 1953. There were still a few people living there at the time. No one in our family has any photos and I can't find any on the net.

I'll get some memories together re both and post them soon.

I was at Thornbridge as well. If you were there 61 - 66, then you must have been at the Village School at about the same time as me. (And obviously at Rainbow Forge also.)

Give me a while and I'll get some stuff together to post.

Looks if we followed in each other's footsteps, and we could have been class mates! We lived on the Hackenthorpe from 1955 to about 1967 when we moved to Firvale. Really looking forward to hearing your memories.