What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

I went to Pye Bank in the 1960-66. Most miserble time of my school life. I remember Miss Wheeler, she caned me for not having my hair up, i was only 8. Then onto Burngreave Girls School 1966- 69 That was a lot better, at least they treat you like human beings. Then they changed Burngreave into a middle school.

I went to Southey Green Primary School‎ on Crowder Av from 1964-66

I remember getting canned by the Principal or Head a Mrs. Patterson and numerous other teachers for next to nothing. Quite a difference comming from a Canadain school system where you only got canned for something serious. I also remember a teacher Mr. Shufflebottom, probably the name has just stuck in my mind.

Don't know about any changes have only drove by the school a couple of times since we moved back to Canada.

Norfolk School

What year did you leave ?

What changes have there been to your school since you left ?

Most of it burnt down a few years ago, I think bits of it are still there as a primary school

Likewise, me and Stuart0742 were at school together, great days

Old secondary school was demolished in 1997 to make way for a small housing development (Cradock Mews)

New secondary school was destroyed in an arson attack on 5 August 2004

Infant school (Cradock Road) later demolished, date unknown, after 2004

Junior school (Brimmesfield Road) is open as a "pupil referal units" (that's a place other schools use to send their bad lads)

Here are a couple of pictures I took in August 2004 of the fire damage on the new secondary school building (built 1965) just before it was finally demolished.

I went to Southey Green Primary School‎ on Crowder Av from 1964-66

I remember getting canned by the Principal or Head a Mrs. Patterson and numerous other teachers for next to nothing. Quite a difference comming from a Canadain school system where you only got canned for something serious. I also remember a teacher Mr. Shufflebottom, probably the name has just stuck in my mind.

Don't know about any changes have only drove by the school a couple of times since we moved back to Canada.

Hey up redcanuck, as a past pupil of Southey let me welcome you. So you never had the pleasure of the "Senior" school, lucky you. I have a photo for you with Miss Pattinson and the aforesaid Mr Shufflebottom and who knows you may even be on the photo, taken from around your time.

Hey up redcanuck, as a past pupil of Southey let me welcome you. So you never had the pleasure of the "Senior" school, lucky you. I have a photo for you with Miss Pattinson and the aforesaid Mr Shufflebottom and who knows you may even be on the photo, taken from around your time.

The picture brought back memories of Patterson and Shufflebottom, not really sure if I recognize any of the students. I remember getting individual pictures taken and still have one but can't remember a class picture.

I am sure if any one was there the same time as I, they would remember me. As you can see from your picture, the area was hardly ethnically diverse and while I looked like everyone else because many of my relatives lived on Parson Cross, Southey Green, the minute I opened my mouth they could tell I wasn't local. Although I was a Canadian everyone thought I was a yank.

The picture brought back memories of Patterson and Shufflebottom, not really sure if I recognize any of the students. I remember getting individual pictures taken and still have one but can't remember a class picture.

I am sure if any one was there the same time as I, they would remember me. As you can see from your picture, the area was hardly ethnically diverse and while I looked like everyone else because many of my relatives lived on Parson Cross, Southey Green, the minute I opened my mouth they could tell I wasn't local. Although I was a Canadian everyone thought I was a yank.

Here's a photo taken a little earlier, actually 1949 / 1950. Southey junior school, some sort of May day celebration I think.

We must be similar ages, redcanuck, I moved up from the juniors in 1965. I can't say I remember a "yank" at school, in fact I can only vaguely remember one "coloured" lad (apologies) who only seemed to be there for one term.

I do have another class photo from the mid 60's but I'm having trouble finding it.

Regarding your run in with Miss Pattinson, you may be interested to know (or not due to the circumstances) that she only recently died last year aged 97.

We must be similar ages, redcanuck, I moved up from the juniors in 1965. I can't say I remember a "yank" at school, in fact I can only vaguely remember one "coloured" lad (apologies) who only seemed to be there for one term.

I do have another class photo from the mid 60's but I'm having trouble finding it.

Regarding your run in with Miss Pattinson, you may be interested to know (or not due to the circumstances) that she only recently died last year aged 97.

There was one "Black" kid in my class I believe his name was Tony. I think he was an orphan. Was there an orphanage around Southey Green?

Amazing about Miss Patinson 97, grand old age. But I think I am starting to develop arthritis in my hands from all those rulers she broke over my knuckles.

We lived with my grandmother (who spent most of her time in the Magnet) at 44 Kyle Cres.

Hi

I also went to Southey Green Junior School

Left in 1968 to come to Oz.

I also remember a Orphanage around Southey.

once visited there with a friend who lived there.

The Teacher i most remember is Mr Ellerby

Here's a photo taken a little earlier, actually 1949 / 1950. Southey junior school, some sort of May day celebration I think.

If your photo is some sort of May Day celebration, jmdee I hate to think what they where doing in this photo at Southey, probably human sacrifice or devil worship by the look of things.

Regards the orphanage ...... it was on the end of North Hill Road next to St Bernards Church opposite the gennel that lead to Kyle Crescent. I walked past this on my way to school, in fact I remember them building the home. On the site originally was an old barn which had belonged to one of the original farms in the area, the barn burnt down one night in mysterious circumstances.

On my travels I still pass through the area, I can safely say that your grans house (No. 44) is still standing but a lot of the area, especially on the north side of the school has been flattened, nothing but green fields. It seems strange, the road network is still there, streetlights but no houses, it makes you wonder where everyone has moved to.

Hi

I went to Woodthorpe Infants 57 - 60

Athelstan Juniors 60 - 63 Headmaster was Mr Thomas Mr Turner was one of my teachers. Still there, my grandaughter goes there now.

Brook Secondary 63 - 67 Now Demolished some good memories some bad.

Regards the orphanage ...... it was on the end of North Hill Road next to St Bernards Church opposite the gennel that lead to Kyle Crescent. I walked past this on my way to school, in fact I remember them building the home. On the site originally was an old barn which had belonged to one of the original farms in the area, the barn burnt down one night in mysterious circumstances.

On my travels I still pass through the area, I can safely say that your grans house (No. 44) is still standing but a lot of the area, especially on the north side of the school has been flattened, nothing but green fields. It seems strange, the road network is still there, streetlights but no houses, it makes you wonder where everyone has moved to.

Yes that would be the children's home, I remember going up by

St.Bernards Church.

Also Dr.Stanley I think I recognise my sister in that Southey Green class photo you posted

Norfolk School (1967 - 72)

Old secondary school was demolished in 1997 to make way for a small housing development (Cradock Mews)

New secondary school was destroyed in an arson attack on 5 August 2004

Infant school (Cradock Road) later demolished, date unknown, after 2004

Junior school (Brimmesfield Road) is open as a "pupil referal units" (that's a place other schools use to send their bad lads)

I also did 2 years 6th form at Ashleigh school 1972 - 74. This school also is no more.

The school consisted of 2 buildings,

The lower school was on Hurlfield Road and had previously been Hurlfield Girls school until it became comprehensive and combined to form Ashleigh in 1969

The upper school was on Gleadless Road and had been purpose built in 1960 as the Central Technical School to replace the older C.T.S. which had been on Leopold Street (much more central than Gleadless!) and became the Education Offices. This was a grammar school from 1961 to 1969 when it became comprehensive and formed the other half of Ashleigh.

Old students well remember having to walk across either a muddy field, or a longer footpath route past some smelly pig styes to get between the 2 Ashleigh building, but being there only for 6th form I only ever used the Gleadless Road site.

The lower school (Hurlfield Girls) was closed and demolished in about 1987, and is now a small private housing development. The upper school (Central Technical) carried on for some years but by 2004 it also seems to have suffered the same fate and is now houses. Strange how houses have only been built on the site of the actual school buildings. those large school field between the 2 schools which go all the way back to Gleadless Common are still there, surely this bigger area of land would have been ideal for housing.

First school was St Vincents, think it was the bottom of Edwards Street. I don't live in Sheffield any more, haven't done for years, but recently went to see what was left of St Vincents.....a very sad sight indeed. derelict school building and church...now a car park for all the 'city workers'.

Left St Vincents in 68 to go to Lydgate Lane, which looks exactly as it used to.

Went to Tapton Comp, 73-78. Tapton has been totally rebuilt since my day.

Guest pinky green

Hi

Here's an old one for you. Netherthorpe School, it's my mum who went there and left in 1936. Anyone that old?

She had two sisters Maisy Green and Nellie Green

Did you go to Norfolk School on Cradock Road in the 1970s, Appeal for ex pupils of Norfolk School who may have been in films..

If you did please go to this LINK

Edit; this event was held on 25th November 2008

Thanks

Springfield county school,in broomspring lane.

Left July 1953

Do'nt know if it's still standing.

Hi JackD l had a lad come to work for me round that time named Roger Varley do you recall him l have been trying to contact him.

Skeets

Guest davecanning

Lydgate Lane Junior 1961-1965.

Still looks much the same except the air raid shelters that were still there then look to have been filled in and grassed over.

Firth Park Grammar 1965-1972

Sadly demolished after closure and then fire. Community College now built on the site.

Mine was Philadelphia, here's a picture of the teachers in , maybe about 1957.

Since SteveHB told me how to upload the pictures there's been no stopping me. lol

Mine was Philadelphia, here's a picture of the teachers in , maybe about 1957.

Since SteveHB told me how to upload the pictures there's been no stopping me. lol

Forgot to include the pictures.

Went to Owler Lane briefly then Shiregreen school on Bracken Road 1951 (now sadly demolished so no trip down memory lane) then to City Grammar School 1957 www.omnesamici.co.uk

Guest plain talker

Constable Road School (AKA Hemsworth County Primary) Gleadless Valley 1968-73

Sharrow Lane School 1973-5

Abbeydale Grange Secondary 1975-78

High Storrs 1978-1980

First school was St Vincents, think it was the bottom of Edwards Street. I don't live in Sheffield any more, haven't done for years, but recently went to see what was left of St Vincents.....a very sad sight indeed. derelict school building and church...now a car park for all the 'city workers'.

Left St Vincents in 68 to go to Lydgate Lane, which looks exactly as it used to.

Went to Tapton Comp, 73-78. Tapton has been totally rebuilt since my day.

I agree Pete about St Vincents, these photographs were taken about three years ago.

I suppose there will be more flats to come eventually.

There's a steep drop from the car park of St Vincents on to the back of company buildings on Scotland Street and well before these were built we used to play on there. It was just old rubble and grass but in one place there were part of an old yellow stone built stairwell which was narrow and curved round. I used to hide in there so my friends couldn't find

me.

I've heard since that there could be tunnels leading from the church. I often wonder what they will find when they

eventually "build flats" on that part of Scotland Street.

Whenever I pass I look at the place, I'm sure I could go straight to the spot where this stone built stairwell were and

maybe still is. :huh:

Guest BUXT0NGENT

Ecclesfield Grammar (before it went comprehensive) from 1951 to 1958.

Found one of the heads of music singing in the same choir, who invited us back for a reunion.

Whilst we were there they had just, or were completing a new science and craft block. They eventually built more new buildings.

The reason for the 'reunion' was that they were in the final stages of knocking down the 'old buildings' i.e. the ones which were new to us, to relace them. The mainpart of the reunion was held in the School, a building unchanged from its 1930's construction, still with the same cast iron radiators and opening windows, and i'm sure still the original paintwork. needless to say, this was to remain.

The one thing to depressme was the ruin that was the piece of hallowed turf in my day, the cricket square!

I well remember the head, Mr.T.C.(Ticker) Harrison, a gentleman, the fearsome Mrs Clay and her husband who was deputy head, and many more.

some of my male classmates- Bacon,Brodie, Heath, Heney, Kent, Moxon, Mumford, Pickering, Smith.

A mixture of sad but mainly happy days.