What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

I haven't got the picture any more , wish I had but could the Nash be Barry?

Could be or Trevor he could'nt make his mind up between first names, Trevor Nash or Barry Vera, will have to put more sugar in his tea next time around.

Anyone know the first Sheffield school to take its pupils abroad. I had friends in the 50s that went to France with Burngreave school. My brother went to Chaucer in the early 60s, he always seemed to be off somewhere. W/E.

Just spoken to my brother Richard, one of his trips abroad with Chaucer was to Paris for Bastille Day. He is going to look for some photos, seems to think it was 1963. W/E.

Guest honeyhamster

St Joseph's RC Primary, Howard Hill/Road, Walkley, S6. Any memories of pupils or staff please? (especially Miss (Mary Imelda) Brown - she was a good friend to me, although in her very old age by then. I would love to hear from anyone who knew her at any stage), I am new to this website/forum. HH

CITY SCHOOL,STRADBROKE ROAD,SHEFFIELD

I left in 1986 and it is now a Business College

Welcome to Sheffield History topcat70 and thank you for posting.

My son went to City School, but being younger, only in the current century.

However, given the year you left you may know some of my friends the Keetons, 3 brothers who all attended City around this time

John (also known as "Buster" Keeton as he is a professional boxer), Chris and Tim.

Guest topcat70

Welcome to Sheffield History topcat70 and thank you for posting.

My son went to City School, but being younger, only in the current century.

However, given the year you left you may know some of my friends the Keetons, 3 brothers who all attended City around this time

John (also known as "Buster" Keeton as he is a professional boxer), Chris and Tim.

sorry i dont remember them but my brother is a friend of a keeton who is a relative of the funeral director

sorry i dont remember them but my brother is a friend of a keeton who is a relative of the funeral director

OK thanks, the funeral directors are a different family of Keetons

Guest whyme

I went to Pye Bank and then St Peters until 84 when I got sent to Notre Dam which I left in 86.

Wisewood juniors 1944-1947

Then Oakwood Collegiate school . Mrs Holroyd was headmistresss.

Left in 1950

Expect Oakwood disappeared years ago,.but would be interesting to know if anyone else remembers it. We were rigidly taught the 3 R's .

Wisewood juniors 1944-1947

Then Oakwood Collegiate school . Mrs Holroyd was headmistresss.

Left in 1950

Two of my cousins went to Oakwood on Norwood Road in the mid 50s. W/E.

Guest Lostmarbles67

Went to Myers Grove

Left 1983 , now Demolished and a new school merged with Wisewood replaced it !

Guest whyme

Went to Myers Grove

Left 1983 , now Demolished and a new school merged with Wisewood replaced it !

Yes and the new school is called Forge Valley and my youngest son goes there. He went to Myers Grove until it closed and I must say that I find the school now is nowhere near as good as Myers Grove.

Yes and the new school is called Forge Valley and my youngest son goes there. He went to Myers Grove until it closed and I must say that I find the school now is nowhere near as good as Myers Grove.

I agree , we never seem to move foward always backwards.

The kids are complaining that there is not enough room in the dining room for them all to

have their dinners.

They also have the same complaint at Stocksbridge were some have had to stand up

to eat their dinners or even ran out of time to even get into the dining room for there lunch.

Not thought out properly.

The kids are complaining that there is not enough room in the dining room for them all to

have their dinners.

They also have the same complaint at Stocksbridge were some have had to stand up

to eat their dinners or even ran out of time to even get into the dining room for there lunch.

The school I work at had a PFI (private funding initiative) rebuild on the same site about 10 years ago now.

Although the old school was much the worse for its years of wear and tear it was far better for the pupose of teaching and learning than the new building which has replaced it.

The complaints about new building madfe by the previous 2 posters are very common

Governments are always saying that state education isn't as high a standard as private education. They come up with grandiose schemes to improve things, but the single most effective thing I think they could do is always ignored, i.e. smaller class sizes. As soon as the birthrate drops, and school admissions fall, they close a school and amalgamate them.

Back in the 70's I worked for the Council and visited all the state schools in Sheffield, as did my colleagues. One thing we all agreed on was the difference in atmosphere in secondary schools. The ones with up to 700/800 pupils had an almost family feel. All staff seemed to know all the kids. But the larger schools tended to feel impersonal by comparison. Yet governments seem to want bigger and bigger schools.

And while I'm on a rant, one of the most offensive things I find when politicians are talking about children and education, is to refer to 'added value' in respect of children. And if I remember rightly it was Blunkett who started it.

I'll get me coat...

Guest whyme

have their dinners.

My son now takes a packed lunch and eats outside because he says that half the time when he waits for a hot lunch by time there is room in the dining hall lunch time is over and they go back to class without eating.

Guest whyme

And while I'm on a rant, one of the most offensive things I find when politicians are talking about children and education, is to refer to 'added value' in respect of children. And if I remember rightly it was Blunkett who started it.

I'll get me coat...

Don't get your coat because I completely agree with you. I really do worry for our children's future.

Governments are always saying that state education isn't as high a standard as private education. They come up with grandiose schemes to improve things, but the single most effective thing I think they could do is always ignored, i.e. smaller class sizes. As soon as the birthrate drops, and school admissions fall, they close a school and amalgamate them.

Back in the 70's I worked for the Council and visited all the state schools in Sheffield, as did my colleagues. One thing we all agreed on was the difference in atmosphere in secondary schools. The ones with up to 700/800 pupils had an almost family feel. All staff seemed to know all the kids. But the larger schools tended to feel impersonal by comparison. Yet governments seem to want bigger and bigger schools.

I'll get me coat...

Likewise, don't get your coat.

As you know I teach in a school and I agree with you as well.

I could comment further on the state of new schools and modern education but as I have to put up with it all the time at work and being on Sheffield History is a bit of an escape from it all I will not continue and drive myself into depression.

My son now takes a packed lunch and eats outside because he says that half the time when he waits for a hot lunch by time there is room in the dining hall lunch time is over and they go back to class without eating.

That seems to be very common in large schools.

Being built to a budget amny of them have small classrooms, narrow corridors and as you point out, limited dining space for the number of students in the building.

I always thought from my knowledge of psychology that if people are forced to live and work constantly in cramped conditions it leads to fall outs, arguments and poor antisocial behaviour, even criminal behaviour.

No suprise then that the behaviour of kids in modern new build secondary schools is often stated as being poor when they have been made to work in conditions which actually encourage the poor behaviour.

Does anyone know of a teacher called Mr Roger Butcher who I believed taught at Manor school

in the early 1990s? I would love to know how he is ?

Guest Angie123

Hi I went to King Ecgberts, Richmond College and Clarkehouse Preparatory which was opposite the Hallamshire Hospital - I think that one is now demolished. I was born in 1955

Hi I went to King Ecgberts, Richmond College and Clarkehouse Preparatory which was opposite the Hallamshire Hospital - I think that one is now demolished. I was born in 1955

Welcome to Sheffield History Angie123 and thank you for posting.

Guest Angie123

Hiya everyone,

Went to Clarkehouse Preparatory School opposite the Hallamshire Hospital then King Ecgberts and then Richmond College - does anyone remember any of the teachers? Left King Ecgberts in 1974

Angie