Tram Tracks on the Moor

Hjdary

I've read that on the Moor the council un-covered a section of the old tram track and made a feature of it and I was wondering if it is still there?

Its years since I walked down the Moor, maybe ten or more and even if they were uncovered then I would have took no notice of them at that time but now I'm a little older (for older..see sader) I would like to see them.

So, has any one been down there recently and are they still visable?

I've read that on the Moor the council un-covered a section of the old tram track and made a feature of it and I was wondering if it is still there?

Its years since I walked down the Moor, maybe ten or more and even if they were uncovered then I would have took no notice of them at that time but now I'm a little older (for older..see sader) I would like to see them.

So, has any one been down there recently and are they still visable?

It was right at the top, they left a short stretch of the lines exposed and built a brick planter in the shape and colour of the front of a Sheffield tram at the end of it. Can't tell you if its still there though I'm afraid. Anyone got a picture?

I'm sure I've either seen those planters or seen a picture of them but still cant remember the tracks.

They were outside Debenhams, opposite Macdonalds, not sure if they are still there.

Macdonalds has gone.

They were outside Debenhams, opposite Macdonalds, not sure if they are still there.

Macdonalds has gone.

I can't remember there being any track left showing there. Unfortunately the "planters" designed to look like the front of a "proper" Sheffield tram have also gone now.

For quite a time there was a length of track left down the centre of Angel St/Snig Hill, but the only bit I can think of that might still be visible is where the trams went through the middle of the roundabout at Firth Park.

The tram tracks on The Moor are no more, I think they went in the last round of "improvement" works. Late last year during digging, lengths of track were exposed and removed on Pinstone Street just above Charles Street and yes the original tracks at Firth Park are still visible.

Guest Angus Prune

Yep, they've definitely gone - at least two years ago, which was when I started walking down the Moor every day to get to work. The only bit of the old tram system left in town that I know of is a rusty old catenary mast on snig hill.

I remember a couple of years or so ago there were roadworks near the bottom of Staniforth Road, near where the current trams cross, which had exposed a section of the old tracks pointing up the hill towards Darnall, at least a good six inches deep thanks to subsequent resurfacings.

I dont think that the corporation bothered taking much of the redundant track up.

I have seen some pictures of the area in Beucheif were the traffic island is now wich show men removing whole sections of track with a crane, which was replaced with the grassed verge.

In the rest of the City I think most of the track was simply covered with a bit of tarmac.

I dont think that the corporation bothered taking much of the redundant track up.

I have seen some pictures of the area in Beucheif were the traffic island is now wich show men removing whole sections of track with a crane, which was replaced with the grassed verge.

In the rest of the City I think most of the track was simply covered with a bit of tarmac.

When the council were constructing the "New Ring Road" along Shalesmoor around 2006 they dug all the old tram tracks at that time. As you say just covered up with a bit of tarmac

I saw the track round there at the time and kept popping round to see if there was any small sections cut out that would fit in the car to take as a souvenir. but most of the bit that were cut out were at least ten foot long.

Would struggle to get that in a Mini!

I saw the track round there at the time and kept popping round to see if there was any small sections cut out that would fit in the car to take as a souvenir. but most of the bit that were cut out were at least ten foot long.

Would struggle to get that in a Mini!

In the mid 60's I worked at Firth Park Library, and one of the borrowers was a tram fan. One day they had the road up outside and exposed the old tracks, and he came in very excited to ask if we'd seen them. The next day he appeared with a 6-inch section of track he'd just sawn off, and explained he had a collection of such pieces from all over Britain. Now that's dedication!

I don't think that the corporation bothered taking much of the redundant track up.

I have seen some pictures of the area in Beauchief were the traffic island is now which show men removing whole sections of track with a crane, which was replaced with the grassed verge.

The covering of the old tracks was a godsend to the old British Relay TV company in Sheffield. They merely laid cables in the old lines before they were tarmac-ed over.

(Historical note: In the 1950s and 60s, TV reception in Sheffield was very difficult and impossible in some parts of the City due to it's hilly nature. Before the coming of the repeater stations at Crosspool and Brightside, Cable TV was the only option for many people.)

Guest bus man

I can confirm the feature on the moor as gone .

Very few tram tracks were took up at the end of the tramway erea - it just wasnt worth the efford the scrap value was less than the cost of getting them up .

I can confirm the feature on the moor as gone .

Very few tram tracks were took up at the end of the tramway erea - it just wasnt worth the efford the scrap value was less than the cost of getting them up .

These photo's were taken today, not very far below the surface

[a

ttachment=19948:07102009253_copy.jpg]

These photo's were taken today, not very far below the surface

I was hoping to find something like this when I took pictures down the Moor last saturday (recent developments thread) but they were not visible then.

Hope to get a look at them this weekend coming.

What an eerie sight. As one who can remember the trams you can almost here them coming along the tracks just by looking at these pictures. Great stuff Stuart. It is a pity a chunk could not be taken to weston Park Museum or some other appropriate place insted of just been sent to the scrap yard.

What an eerie sight. As one who can remember the trams you can almost here them coming along the tracks just by looking at these pictures. Great stuff Stuart. It is a pity a chunk could not be taken to weston Park Museum or some other appropriate place insted of just been sent to the scrap yard.

Plenty of spare ground around the area ... England's Greeenest City and all that ...