Revell Grange, Rivelin

Guest bingles

Guest bingles

I am the current owner of Revell Grange at Rivelin, a house with an interesting history. Perhaps of greatest significance was its role as a centre of early Catholicism, and indeed there's still a private chapel in the house to this day.

We've managed to amass a fair bit of detail about the place (current frontage added 1742 but original house probably C16th) and had contact with various people researching related matters.

I've also embarked on a collection of old postcards and photos of the Rivelin Valley, but have yet to find one depicting the house. Anyone out there happen to have one?

Welcome to the Site.

No pictures I'm afriad, can only offer the following former resident ...

Francis Sutton, Revell Grange, Stannington (Kelly's 1893)

Hope someone else can come up with the goods !

Revell Grange, Sheffield

Extract from 'Old Halls of Derbyshire' describing Revell Grange

... Earlier in the walk than this are cottages gleaming white in the mid-day sun, and one skirts the courtyard of Revell Grange and up straight field paths towards the ridge of this great hill. Just where the ridge occurs, and towards the village of Stannington, is this wall-surrounded copse of trees. Rumour had it, across at Sandygate, that this enclosure was full of very old and mouldering grave stones. I found it to be a God's acre of the Quakers, not used for very many years, but left by that stern, methodical sect in perfect rest and peace. It has been sealed up, the entrance gates taken out, and a stone wall built in their place. Ivy has been trailed all along the inside of the surrounding walls, and there is a solemn peacefulness in the unending whispering of the wind-swept trees. It is just such a graveyard as one sees so often on the Suffolk coast, where erosion has compelled the abandonment of many churches; but here is the added whispering of the trees, which makes the picture so complete.

On an ensuing ridge-top the new valley spreads before us, the Loxley Valley which was swept and torn by the bursting of Dale Dike reservoir in March, 1864. Here and there gaunt, great shoulders of the hills interrupt the view, and it really is from the lower flank of Stannington village that the best view is obtained. For all that, this is bold enough. The houses of Stannington stand against the sky line to the right, down in the middle distance are Dyson's brick works and chimneys (not so much of an eyesore as might be imagined), and straight ahead is the hamlet of Storrs, with its little chapel. Many large and cosy farms nestle under the lee of the hills, splendid ranges of wood are seen on every hand, and the whole ground is broken up into sudden precipitous banks, with tiny rivulets singing down the glens and defiles of entrancing beauty.

Bradfield lies over the farther ridge; Hill Top, swept by every wind and scattered and very lonely, is at the crest of the hill, whilst, turning again to the right, one gets a glimpse of the opening and wider spreading of the Loxley Valley below Normandale, and just a sense of chimneys and buildings where the Malin Bridge district is creeping up. What is to be the future of such a country side as that?

Leaving the Manchester Road at Blackbrook Bridge, turning to the right across the bridge and up in the direction of Revell Grange, one passes Corn Mill Cottages standing at right angles to the road. They make a very entrancing picture in the sunshine, with their box gardens and ivied fronts. However, the patient seeker after the picturesque has a greater find if he walks past these cottages in the direction of the stream. Here he comes across the old mill, a big, well-built building, with huge corner stones, and space and comfort about it. In front, the stream babbles over great grey stones and falls into numberless cascades, whilst the drooping branches of trees dip into the sparkling waters.

This is beyond question the gem of the valley ...

http://www.rotherhamweb.co.uk/revill/grange.htm

Guest bingles

Revell Grange, Sheffield

Extract from 'Old Halls of Derbyshire' describing Revell Grange

... Earlier in the walk than this are cottages gleaming white in the mid-day sun, and one skirts the courtyard of Revell Grange and up straight field paths towards the ridge of this great hill. Just where the ridge occurs, and towards the village of Stannington, is this wall-surrounded copse of trees. Rumour had it, across at Sandygate, that this enclosure was full of very old and mouldering grave stones. I found it to be a God's acre of the Quakers, not used for very many years, but left by that stern, methodical sect in perfect rest and peace. It has been sealed up, the entrance gates taken out, and a stone wall built in their place. Ivy has been trailed all along the inside of the surrounding walls, and there is a solemn peacefulness in the unending whispering of the wind-swept trees. It is just such a graveyard as one sees so often on the Suffolk coast, where erosion has compelled the abandonment of many churches; but here is the added whispering of the trees, which makes the picture so complete.

On an ensuing ridge-top the new valley spreads before us, the Loxley Valley which was swept and torn by the bursting of Dale Dike reservoir in March, 1864. Here and there gaunt, great shoulders of the hills interrupt the view, and it really is from the lower flank of Stannington village that the best view is obtained. For all that, this is bold enough. The houses of Stannington stand against the sky line to the right, down in the middle distance are Dyson's brick works and chimneys (not so much of an eyesore as might be imagined), and straight ahead is the hamlet of Storrs, with its little chapel. Many large and cosy farms nestle under the lee of the hills, splendid ranges of wood are seen on every hand, and the whole ground is broken up into sudden precipitous banks, with tiny rivulets singing down the glens and defiles of entrancing beauty.

Bradfield lies over the farther ridge; Hill Top, swept by every wind and scattered and very lonely, is at the crest of the hill, whilst, turning again to the right, one gets a glimpse of the opening and wider spreading of the Loxley Valley below Normandale, and just a sense of chimneys and buildings where the Malin Bridge district is creeping up. What is to be the future of such a country side as that?

Leaving the Manchester Road at Blackbrook Bridge, turning to the right across the bridge and up in the direction of Revell Grange, one passes Corn Mill Cottages standing at right angles to the road. They make a very entrancing picture in the sunshine, with their box gardens and ivied fronts. However, the patient seeker after the picturesque has a greater find if he walks past these cottages in the direction of the stream. Here he comes across the old mill, a big, well-built building, with huge corner stones, and space and comfort about it. In front, the stream babbles over great grey stones and falls into numberless cascades, whilst the drooping branches of trees dip into the sparkling waters.

This is beyond question the gem of the valley ...

http://www.rotherhamweb.co.uk/revill/grange.htm

Thank you very much for that - I thought I'd found every recorded mention of the house, but this is a new one on me.

I am slowly piecing together the story of Revell Grange with the aid of snippets like this. Its place in catholic history is fairly well established, but there are still surprises - like the chap who turned up in pursuit of the subject of a book he was writing on Richard Broomhead, born in the house in 1751. He apparently went on to become the hugely-popular Bishop of Manchester until his death in the early C19th. If anyone has any other information, it will all be gratefully received - as indeed would any old pictures.

Have you had any contact with the Rivelin Valley Conservation Group?

Keith Kendall (under contacts on that site) has a large collection of postcards

of the valley. Last year he gave us (Friends of Walkley Cemetery) an illustrated

talk about the valley at our AGM. You could ask him if he knows of any old images

of the hall.

Hugh

Guest recorder

I am the current owner of Revell Grange at Rivelin, a house with an interesting history. Perhaps of greatest significance was its role as a centre of early Catholicism, and indeed there's still a private chapel in the house to this day.

We've managed to amass a fair bit of detail about the place (current frontage added 1742 but original house probably C16th) and had contact with various people researching related matters.

I've also embarked on a collection of old postcards and photos of the Rivelin Valley, but have yet to find one depicting the house. Anyone out there happen to have one?

There is a memorial to Lydia Revell who died in 1926 in Bradfield Church. She was the wife of Lt-Col F Revell-Sutton of Revell Grange. He served in the Boer War.

A mention here from "The Lord's House - a history of Sheffield's Roman Catholic Buildings 1570-1990"

I have a will of John Bill of Stoke on Trent (1878) who is the father-in-law of Francis Sutton (the executor of the will) of Revel Grange. My sister, who is coming to England from Canada next month, has some information on Revel Grange. My father visited relatives there during WWII.

I wish these old threads were still active.   Bingles - if you are still active, can you make contact?   I think there could be a link from Revell grange to my house just down the road and looking to see what info you have that may confirm that,

As another point - Nethergate Hall - does anyone know where that was?  there are no real records showing the location of that hall.... one assumes Nethergate, there is the old catholic school there - was this Nethergate Hall? 

From the Sheffield Independent, 31 May1889.

There is a long article headed 'The Revival of Roman Catholicism in Sheffield'.

This is just a short section of it:

'During the troublous times, when the faith and well-nigh every vestige of the Catholic religion had been swept away

from Sheffield and the county round, the sacred fire was kept alive in NETHERGATE HALL, the venerable family mansion

of the Revell's, which stood on the site now occupied by St Mary's School, Stannington'.

I wonder if Stannington Hall and Nethergate Hall are the same building.... 

"I pass on to another deed. On the 30th of September, 1580 John Parker of Norton Lees, Esq., in consideration of the sum of 220 pounds and 10 shillings paid to him by Gregory Revell of Stannington, yeoman, bargained and sold to the said Gregory"

Revell Grange, Bingley Lane. August 1991.s27895.jpg.4b28ad20acfab19c1be0cdf9501380d8.jpgPicture Sheffield No s27895 

Front Elevation. s27893.jpg.f408370c085abc7b6e0301f233826bd1.jpgPicture Sheffield No. s27893

Revell Grange, seat of the Revell family who moved there from Nethergate Hall in 1742, they were Roman Catholics, and the private chapel was in continuous use as a Mass centre until 1828, mission reopened 1855's.

See The Lord's House, a history of Sheffield's Roman Catholic Buildings 1570-1990 , Denis Evinson Ref: 282.4274 S.

also Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society Vol 9 1964-69 page 196 S

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27896&pos=4&action=zoom&id=30630

Rear elevation and Chapel, Revell Grange, Bingley Lane. s27894.jpg.d3a691d232ad366f15cfa8dee27f67e8.jpgs27894

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27897&pos=5&action=zoom&id=30631

Stables, Revell Grange. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27898&pos=6&action=zoom&id=30632

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27899&pos=7&action=zoom&id=30633

Revell Grange, Bingley Lane, Stannington front elevation. July 1974.

w01504.jpg.9535b55c175aa7ada298b522fb951871.jpgw01504

From the West End. w01503.jpg.9aa8ea7188cc318dc362896bda0591ce.jpgw01503

Photographer: David Cathels

Revell Grange Grade II Listed Building. 8th August 1985. 

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1132865

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revell_Grange

https://cityseeker.com/sheffield/878723-revell-grange