Penknife Manufacture in Sheffield

Guest zorro

Not sure about 'bmp' files on here as I have always used 'jpeg'

I will post a 'bmp' up to just to see what happens ?,

please ignore RichardB as he seems to be having a one of his funny turns at the moment,

he's normaly a very nice bloke as you can see ..

lol

< think I will exit now>

Now theres a face only a mother could love :P

They are just jealous of my childish-goodlooks ... lol

My wife keeps telling me I have a childlike quality, or was it childish? Now I think I know how to upload images (giggle) I'll have a go at those Rodgers ones. Please don't get to excited, this may still take awhile. any ideas on the knife I got yesterday, I can see SHEFFIELD MADE on one blade, but the other side has got me baffled (easy done) could it be REDGE?

My wife keeps telling me I have a childlike quality, or was it childish? Now I think I know how to upload images (giggle) I'll have a go at those Rodgers ones. Please don't get to excited, this may still take awhile. any ideas on the knife I got yesterday, I can see SHEFFIELD MADE on one blade, but the other side has got me baffled (easy done) could it be REDGE?

Not a Mark I've seen before, hope springs Eternal than someone else has ...

Not a Mark I've seen before, hope springs Eternal than someone else has ...

Got overexcited composing the last one, had to go and have a lie down for five minutes! Shame about the state of the blades on this one, looks like its had a hard life. I think it must be victorian? Will post more tommorrow if you're interested, got a nice taylor eyewitness multitool that appears to be victorian/edwardian.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Got overexcited composing the last one, had to go and have a lie down for five minutes! Shame about the state of the blades on this one, looks like its had a hard life. I think it must be victorian? Will post more tommorrow if you're interested, got a nice taylor eyewitness multitool that appears to be victorian/edwardian.

Joseph Rodgers and Sons Cutlers to Her Majesty (Victoria) also has England on the tang which dates it 1891 or thereafter... so this knife dates 1891-1901.

Joseph Rodgers and Sons Cutlers to Her Majesty (Victoria) also has England on the tang which dates it 1891 or thereafter... so this knife dates 1891-1901.

WELLCOME! Nice to meet a fellow sufferer. Thanks for the info, the more I find out, the more there is to discover. Would you be so kind as to check out a previous posting on "REDGE", this ones really is doing my head in! :wacko: Collection is still growing, mainly Sheffield blades, but also some foreign. Cheers, Zorro, the grey blade.

Guest Smiling-Knife

WELLCOME! Nice to meet a fellow sufferer. Thanks for the info, the more I find out, the more there is to discover. Would you be so kind as to check out a previous posting on "REDGE", this ones really is doing my head in! :wacko: Collection is still growing, mainly Sheffield blades, but also some foreign. Cheers, Zorro, the grey blade.

Hi and thank-you for the welcome.

I'm sorry, I do not recognise that mark. I will keep an eye open for you though.

Cheers.

Guest Smiling-Knife

I am interested in your army knife. I have a small collection of them myself. Does your knife have the government issue broad arrow mark (three lines of equal length) on it anywhere.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi zorro. How are you this evening? I looked for 'Redge' and other variations today.... unfortunately no success.

I like the horn scales on your William Rodgers sleeveboard penknife....very nice.

I am interested in your army knife. I have a small collection of them myself. Does your knife have the government issue broad arrow mark (three lines of equal length) on it anywhere.

No, afraid not. As far as I am aware, the paterned handle military clasp knives were made for service personnel well into the fifties, and as MOD orders dropped (presumably when conscription ended) some manufactures started to sell them to the general public as scouting /outdoor general purpose items. It would make economic sense to do this until the tooling required wore out as it was already paid for! I have a RICHARDS LAMP POST that appears to be a "civilian" version in that while the blade looks to be military patern, the spike is stainless and the grips are typical cheap and cheerful richards.................. If you have any additional/different info please feel free to share, I am always happy to be corrected in the persuit of knowledge lol By the way, do you know when RICHARDS stopped using the lamp post logo? Cheers, Zorro the grey blade

Guest Smiling-Knife

A little info on Richards that may be of interest. The company started as Richartz of Solingen. Two brothers emigrated to Sheffield in the 1930s. Just before the WWII they changed the name to Richards. The lampost was the trademark from the beginning. The factory was badly damaged by a bomb during the war. It rebuilt afterwards on a different site and subsequently became the biggest cutlery company in Sheffield. They made a fortune selling large quantities of inexpensive knives. Typically, they have plastic shell type handles. Often, these have sea-side or other tourist scenes, Canadian Mounties, Queen Elizableth coronation etc. I believe Richards used the Lampost logo up until 1977 when the company was bought by the US Imperial knife company.

Yess lots of army type knives were never issued but were sold as army surplus as you mentioned. Not all military knives were marked though.

A little info on Richards that may be of interest. The company started as Richartz of Solingen. Two brothers emigrated to Sheffield in the 1930s. Just before the WWII they changed the name to Richards. The lampost was the trademark from the beginning. The factory was badly damaged by a bomb during the war. It rebuilt afterwards on a different site and subsequently became the biggest cutlery company in Sheffield. They made a fortune selling large quantities of inexpensive knives. Typically, they have plastic shell type handles. Often, these have sea-side or other tourist scenes, Canadian Mounties, Queen Elizableth coronation etc. I believe Richards used the Lampost logo up until 1977 when the company was bought by the US Imperial knife company.

Yess lots of army type knives were never issued but were sold as army surplus as you mentioned. Not all military knives were marked though.

BRILLIANT! another piece in the jigsaw puzzle! If you would indulge me a little more (don't want to wear my welcome out!) this chap is idendtical to a SAYNOR pruning knife, horn handle, obviously old and in excellent condition, virtually no wear to the blade and yet there are no makers marks visible! I have been told that workers in the factories would "borrow" various parts from work and assemble them at home to be sold on privately. If this was the case, this knife could be one of these. there is no way I can ever prove this, but whenever I handle this lovely knife I have to smile to myself that it may have been born in someones kitchen!

Guest Smiling-Knife

That is a very nice knife zorro. There is so much patina that there could be a tang mark but I would not clean it. The handle looks like it might be jigged bone. What colour.... she is a beauty.

This is a saynor pruning knife with a smooth bone handle. There is a little shrinkage otherwise good condition.

Guest Smiling-Knife

As William Rodges was mentioned earlier I thought I would post three examples here. Two are the sleeveboard pen pattern and the last a three blade pen or whittler. Please let me know if it is more appropriate etiquette to start a new thread.

Hey Up Zorro

I've just noticed it's tha Birthday

Tha knows alot for a young un

Very kind, I was hand reared by pixies which probably accounts for my stunning intellect and my inability to concentrate for very lon..................................................................

The MOD/Scout knife referred to above used to be called the "jack knife" for some reason

As far as I am aware this patern was originally issued to royal navy sailors in the late 1800's boer war period, the marlin spike being used to undo wet rope knots. Sailors of the time were known as jack tars, hence the term jack knife. Of course I could be completely wrong, but its a damn convincing story! lol zorro the grey blade

Hi Fellow SHs I have found some penknives out that i had for many years one is very small but very ornate it has Toledo on the blade, The second one is a lock knife possibilly Toledo but poorly engraved on the blade, The third is a Cigarknife and has said name stamped on the fork they all have Pearl handles. Please excuse the photos only i am not very good at still knife photography.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi Syrup. Very interesting knives. I really like that smoker's knife. Do you know the maker of that one? If you have a close-up setting on your digital camera the photos will turn-out clearer.

Hi 'SH' members this pen knife was my late fathers, the blade appears to be made of silver?

And he used to refer to it as a fruit knife, but not sure if that is the correct term.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi Steve. Yes it is a fruit knife. They were quite common before the advent of stainless steel. The traditional carbon steel blades were prone to tanish and rust that wasn't so great with food. I like the filed design on the spring. A sign of a more upmarket version. The hallmarks tell all about the blade anyway. It is possible that the knife was made within a few years of that. The lion mark is for sterling .925 silver. The crown indicates it was assayed in Sheffield. The letter and shield combination indicate the year it was assayed. In your case 'i' in a eight-sided shield is for 1903. A quick search on the internet for TM reveals a number of potential makers. Based on date and place, Thomas Marples is the best bet but I am not 100% sure. Maybe someone else will know. I hope this is of interest.