Penknife Manufacture in Sheffield

Guest zorro

"Are we going fishing this sunday grandad"?

I smiled indulgently at my thirteen year old grandson, "Its getting abit cold for my old bones, lets go to the car boot instead if its not raining". Well, it didn't rain so we wrapped up warm and off we went. "Look at that old penknife" "Hold on lad, let me put my glasses on - goodness me, my grandad had one of them when I was a lad, its an army knife!" And thats how it started, last october when we decided it would be fun to start collecting old penknives.

Among our rapidly increasing collection are, not surprisingly, a high proportion of sheffield made items. Now, about half of these are RICHARDS brand, which I was aware of having owned (and lost) several when I was a lad, but we have also turned up some names I was unaware of, including COWLISHAW, GEORGE BARNSLEY and SONS, SOUTHERN and RICHARDSON, BUTLER, TAYLOR EYEWITNESS, J HOWARTH, WALKER and HALL, VENTURE SLATER BROS and H M SLATER (any relation?) GEORGE WOSTENHOLM, TRAFALGAR WORKS, ROGERS, WILLIAM ROGERS, JOSEPH ROGERS (again any relation?) and we are trying to research the histories and possible dates of these manufacturers and their products.

Unfortunately we can find little information on the internet, and it was while searching I discovered this site, so I would be most greatful if anyone out there reading this could pass on any knowledge regarding books, literature, web sites or personal memories of the industry. Thanks for taking the time to read this, Zorro

The PERFECT posting, young people, old people, polite requests, Sheffield, a list of manufacturers (some of whom I have), penknives and an interest in the history of said items.

Would you like to have my babies ? (Comedy too !!!) lol

Does this have "I Cut My Way" engraved on it ?

Wow! I didn't expect a reply this quickly! thanks for your interest! We have 2 William rodgers Knives, one is an army style jack knife single blade and marlon spike, the other a 2 blade bone handled job with a silver shield (cartouche?) and yes, both are engraved "I cut my way" plus a logo that vaguely resembles an anchor or lawn edge trimming blade. Damn but this is exciting. Maybe I should get out more often? Zorro, the grey blade.

The PERFECT posting, young people, old people, polite requests, Sheffield, a list of manufacturers (some of whom I have), penknives and an interest in the history of said items.

Would you like to have my babies ? (Comedy too !!!) lol

Its very nice of you offer, but I've got 2 of my own plus 5 grandchildren and I've also just eaten a large filling supper, but I might just manage a small one for breakfast!

You already have one more William Rodgers knife than me and that's depressing news for me :(

George Wostenholme, changed his name from Wolstenholme was a major player in the (then) new US market ...

Southern and Richardson

Samuel RICHARDSON Manufacturer (Southern & Richardson) h. Collegiate Crescent White's 1852

Samuel Gray RICHARDSON J. P. (Southern & Richardson Ltd.) h. Stone Grove, Tree Root Walk White's 1919

Harold WILLEY Cutlery manufacturer (Southern & Richardson Ltd.) h. 10 Riverdale Road White's 1919

Samuel Gray RICHARDSON JP; manufacturer (Southern & Richardson Ltd.) h. Stone Grove, Tree Root Walk Kelly's 1925

Harold WILLEY Cutlery manufacturer (Southern & Richardson Ltd.) h. 10 Riverdale Road Kelly's 1925

Henry E. BRANT Manager (Southern & Richardson Ltd.) h. 102 Harcourt Road Kelly's 1925

Do good and you shall reap your rewards ... Henry E. Brant is a relative of mine !!!!

You already have one more William Rodgers knife than me and that's depressing news for me :(

George Wostenholme, changed his name from Wolstenholme was a major player in the (then) new US market ...

we also have a sorry looking originally 2 blade now 3/4 + 1/4 but clearly marked "rodgers cutlers to her majesty" penknife which I assume would be post 1953?

Welcome Kindred-Spirit !

Check out this link :

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...p?showtopic=727

Provide what detail you can of each item, preferably with a good quality photo or scan (of both sides of the item), I'll help you all I can. I have a certain level of knowledge regarding this kind of stuff.

Had a quick look at the link, interesting stuff! getting late now, I'm starting to dribble into my beard and nodding off. Time for horlicks and bed. will post some pics and info tommorrow. night night.

Welcome Kindred-Spirit !

Check out this link :

Provide what detail you can of each item, preferably with a good quality photo or scan (of both sides of the item), I'll help you all I can. I have a certain level of knowledge regarding this kind of stuff.

HELP! I keep trying to send a reply including an image attachment, I select the image file in attachment box using the browse button, but when I press UPLOAD I get a message no file selected! Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Doesn't sound as though you are doing anything wrong, Zorro. Are you sure you are selecting the image itself and not a link to it? Alternatively if it is a large file it could take a while to upload. Sorry to be vague but it is a bit of a puzzler!

Laurence

Doesn't sound as though you are doing anything wrong, Zorro. Are you sure you are selecting the image itself and not a link to it? Alternatively if it is a large file it could take a while to upload. Sorry to be vague but it is a bit of a puzzler!

Laurence

Sorted! The image I was trying to upload was to big! (DOOH!!!!!!!!) Can I claim advanced age and technical incompetence as mitigating circumstances? Thanks for your help, love this site, Yourself and RichardB are top blokes!

Welcome Kindred-Spirit !

Check out this link :

100_0248_cropped.bmppicked this up today, its a small 2 bladed job with these images,100_0257.bmp one on each blade. Please excuse quality of images, this is due partly to santa bringing a new camera, but mainly my general incompetence (thanks Tsavo) trying to upload files that are to large and then overcompensating with my cropping tool. I'll post some images of the ROGERS knives tommorrow - oops today, didn't realise how late it is! Bed time again, get back to you later. PS now I'm even more confused, just checked this after posting it and I can't see the uploaded images!

Sorted! The image I was trying to upload was to big! (DOOH!!!!!!!!) Can I claim advanced age and technical incompetence as mitigating circumstances? Thanks for your help, love this site, Yourself and RichardB are top blokes!

Glad to help. L

Here you go zorro.

THANKYOU! This has been bothering me all day at work, lovely to log in and see my images. I see they are now jpeg, and I uploaded them as bmp, was that the problem?

THANKYOU! This has been bothering me all day at work, lovely to log in and see my images. I see they are now jpeg, and I uploaded them as bmp, was that the problem?

I think the problem is mainly to do with your Date of Birth !

<Hides>

Not sure about 'bmp' files on here as I have always used 'jpeg'

I will post a 'bmp' up to just to see what happens ?,

please ignore RichardB as he seems to be having a one of his funny turns at the moment,

he's normaly a very nice bloke as you can see ..

lol

< think I will exit now>

Not sure about 'bmp' files on here as I have always used 'jpeg'

I will post a 'bmp' up to just to see what happens ?,

please ignore RichardB as he seems to be having a one of his funny turns at the moment,

he's normaly a very nice bloke as you can see ..

lol

< think I will exit now>

Now that picture has been well worth waiting for....he's almost good looking! he hehe hehe he

gargoil_02.bmp

Never noticed before but BMPs need to be opened, unlike JPGs which will display normally.

I think the problem is mainly to do with your Date of Birth !

<Hides>

If I could remember when it was I might feel insulted!