Castle House to close

mickjj

Yet another fond memories of growing up in Sheffield is about to dissappear :(

City centre Co-op closure shock

By Richard Marsden

ONE of Sheffield's oldest department stores is to close with 130 people being made redundant in a move that has shocked business leaders and city centre shoppers.

The Co-operative Group says it is proposing to shut Castle House, apart from the food hall, travel agency and post office, because it can no longer compete with other department stores and wants to "focus on its core markets".

Non-food departments at its stores in Middlewood Road, Hillsborough, and at Drakehouse retail park, are also closing, along with its warehouse and delivery operation at Old Lane, Halfway.

Dismayed business leaders and politicians say they will be approaching the company to ask if there is any way the stores can be saved.

A Co-op spokesman said the decision had been taken with regret. The three department stores are the only such outlets operated by the group in Sheffield.

He added: "We simply do not have the critical mass required in today's competitive department store sector to justify the required further investment in these stores."

Post offices at Castle House and Hillsborough, plus food halls, travel agencies, and pharmacies at each of the stores, will stay open.

But the Co-op has not revealed whether it will keep its operations at the current buildings or if they will be moved elsewhere.

If so, the markets area – once one of Sheffield's main city centre shopping hubs and home to the Co-op since 1929 – will have few stores left.

The markets themselves are moving to The Moor and the area is earmarked for major redevelopment.

About 50 of the 130 employees whose jobs are under threat by the Co-op closures are full time and the remaining 80 part time. The company has promised "efforts will be made" to find workers alternative employment.

The stores are to close in the spring, following a consultation period with staff and trade unions.

The warehouse and delivery operation will operate "until all customer orders have been fulfilled".

The announcement follows a review of stores which resulted from the recent merger of Sheffield Co-op with United Co-op, which have since been incorporated into the main Co-operative Group.

One member of staff said: "This will be the end of an era for many people and a lot of the staff are very bitter at what has happened."

Nigel Tomlinson, chief executive of Sheffield Chamber of Commerce, said: "I had not seen this coming and it's sad news. But there has been a bit of a shift in retail towards the other end of the city centre and it looks like the Co-op has been an unfortunate casualty.

"It'll now be a question of having discussions with the Co-op and ascertaining whether there is a way forward.

"I think it would be nice if a business like this could be saved but I don't think the Co-op will have taken their decision lightly."

Coun Tim Rippon, Sheffield Council cabinet member for culture, economic regeneration and planning, said: "It's regrettable that there are to be job losses and I would ask that the Co-op look again at their business and if there is any way the closures could be avoided."

Coun Rippon added that although the markets area is earmarked for office and commercial development as part of the city centre regeneration, he had "no idea" the future of Castle House was at risk and the site had not been included in any development plans.

Sheffield Heeley MP Meg Munn said: "The Co-op has a very long history in the city but they have to make their decision on a commercial basis.

"I want to look carefully at all the information and why this proposal is being put forward."

Hi mickjj Just heard yesterday that John Lewis's Toy Store on Cambridge Street is closing down next month and the building to be Demolished. The old Sheffield is fast disappearing...

Perhaps now is the time to ask :

"When is Leah's Yard on Cambridge Street due to be accidently knocked down/deemed a safety hazard/destroyed by unforseen circumstances/turned into a giant 'baked alaska' and eaten by wombats".

The Best Thing About The Future Is That It Comes One Day At A Time.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN 1809-1865

Now days it seems to be coming much quicker than that or is it just me ??

Now days it seems to be coming much quicker than that or is it just me ??

It's just you being old and gnarly, the rest of us have discovered the secret of eternal youth and we're getting younger day by day - we just didn't tell you - kind of like an experiment to see if we re-grow a full head of hair before your nostril-hairs reach your knees lol

Probably ...

Hi mickjj Just heard yesterday that John Lewis's Toy Store on Cambridge Street is closing down next month and the building to be Demolished. The old Sheffield is fast disappearing...

Thats sad too. Don't get me wrong I know time cannot stand still but I find every time I take a trip home there have been huge changes. More so down town than in the suburbs. I do believe a big part of the problem is Meadowhall. While it vitalised one area of the city it led to the demise of the City centre.

Thats sad too. Don't get me wrong I know time cannot stand still but I find every time I take a trip home there have been huge changes. More so down town than in the suburbs. I do believe a big part of the problem is Meadowhall. While it vitalised one area of the city it led to the demise of the City centre.

Hi mickjj It seems that J Lewis Toy Store is to be Demolished in July but lots of other Pubs and Business have not been given a date yet.

Don't know if everyone has see the Official Compulsory Purchase Order but if they haven't here it is ( if it works ).

Compulsery_Perchase_Order.pdf

Sad to see all these buildings go, as long as sensible buildings replace them, Im ok with progress. We wouldn't have anything to write about otherwise would we. :)

As for the coop I will have to have another run down the stairs before they go. Although that security guard knows my face now. lolhe helol

Sue

Sad to see all these buildings go, as long as sensible buildings replace them, Im ok with progress. We wouldn't have anything to write about otherwise would we. :)

As for the coop I will have to have another run down the stairs before they go. Although that security guard knows my face now. lolhe helol

Sue

I'm just glad I got took my photos last May when I was home.

Home? Isn't Vancouver your home? lol

No this is just where I reside (OK for twenty six years) but Sheffield will ALWAYS be HOME

No this is just where I reside (OK for twenty six years) but Sheffield will ALWAYS be HOME

At least the CO-OP is still providing a welcome

...yes , but for how much longer ????? :(

What are the plans for this building, the Post Office is still on the 1st floor and the Foodhall is still going strong. But the rest of the building is empty

What are the plans for this building, the Post Office is still on the 1st floor and the Foodhall is still going strong. But the rest of the building is empty

A view of the building today (Sat. 6 December 2008)

If it closes it will upset my mum. She worked for the B & C Co-Op for years, usually in our local branches like Northern avenue, Manor Park Centre and Jaunty Centre but she regularly went to Castle House in town to buy stuff.

A view of the building today (Sat. 6 December 2008)

If it closes it will upset my mum. She worked for the B & C Co-Op for years, usually in our local branches like Northern avenue, Manor Park Centre and Jaunty Centre but she regularly went to Castle House in town to buy stuff.

Except for the Food Hall, Post Office, Chemist and Travel Agent Castle House is now empty, the store at Drakehouse and Hillsborough have also closed, though I believe the Food Hall is still open at Hillsborough

The John Lewis toy shop on Cambridge street is now closed and boarded up, as are most of the shops on Cambridge Street.

At least the CO-OP is still providing a welcome

Another view of the Co-Op, this time from the snig hill end.

This is one of my 1974 archive shots showing the Co-Op. Notice that.-

1) In those days depending upon where you were in Sheffield there were 2 versions of the Co-Op

the B & C (Brightside and Carbrook)

or the S & E (Sheffield and Ecclesall)

2) The picture includes a bus, a taxi and a number of cars for Stuart0742, transit and bus man to analyse and comment on

Guest transit

Another view of the Co-Op, this time from the snig hill end.

This is one of my 1974 archive shots showing the Co-Op. Notice that.-

1) In those days depending upon where you were in Sheffield there were 2 versions of the Co-Op

the B & C (Brightside and Carbrook)

or the S & E (Sheffield and Ecclesall)

2) The picture includes a bus, a taxi and a number of cars for Stuart0742, transit and bus man to analyse and comment on

...okay , from the top - Austin A40 , Morris 1100 , Morris Marina , Austin Maxi , 3 mk3 Cortinas .Austin FX4 Taxi , and not forgetting the bus - Leyland Atlantean with Park Royal 30' body which was one of 36 delivered new to Sheffield Transport in 1966 ! (World Cup Year!)

....i'll get my anorak!

...okay , from the top - Austin A40 , Morris 1100 , Morris Marina , Austin Maxi , 3 mk3 Cortinas .Austin FX4 Taxi , and not forgetting the bus - Leyland Atlantean with Park Royal 30' body which was one of 36 delivered new to Sheffield Transport in 1966 ! (World Cup Year!)

....i'll get my anorak!

3 mark3 Cortinas!!!

A bit like my other picture then which had 3 minis

That should please Stuart0742, his first car was a mark 3 Cortina

And a view from the balcony at the top of the building:-

Like that second picture sando, with the "Woolens for Signs" sign being very prominent.

When was this picture taken?

It looks like suitable then and now material to me if we can get a matching picture.

Like that second picture sando, with the "Woolens for Signs" sign being very prominent.

When was this picture taken?

It looks like suitable then and now material to me if we can get a matching picture.

The picture was taken around March this year, I am sure the Woollens sign is still in place on the old Woolens buildings, but for how long who knows? Woollens was owned by Sheffield co-op over the last few years, but did not operate out of this building