Paradise Square

Draco

I have a very old poem of the insight of the cobbled paradise square of ancient days:

"You may form to your fancy a stile which once stood

Near the little grape Tavern and made of wood;

On the side of a field then belonging to Hicks,

Where children at that time hav't oft gathered sticks,

'Twas called 'hicks Stile Field' and there corn oft grown,

But 'Paradise Row' since the stile was took down,

Many years it continued with houses, one row,

But now 'tis a beautiful square as you know,

With freemason's Lodge and a flight of stone stairs,

and under it shops with various wares.

---------------------

If anyone is interested can anyone guess what this old saying "Double 'uns" means? which is associated with paradise square.

If anyone is interested can anyone guess what this old saying "Double 'uns" means? which is associated with paradise square.

I know, but I'll hold my tongue, see what the newcomers to the Site can find - enjoy the chase !

Okay, youll kick yourself when you know. The nickname for it all started in paradise square at a little cellar kitchen where they made griddle cakes, oat cakes, pikelets etc..up a flight of stairs from this kitchen a lady a old caretaker which sheffield people called "a strapping wench" for she originated from the country to assist the kitchen in their work. A few weeks later a local lad came a-courting which this was made half-way up the stairs from the kitchen. The old lady remarked to a neighbour that tshe thought they would soon be a wedding judging by the kissing she heard. She then added "I counted up to twenty kisses, but when 'Double 'uns' started I lost count!"

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

That was funny, I am a newbie on here and I see that some of the admin like to give members a run for their money in giving out questions and answers about sheffield, but does anyone else have any old stories to tell? I used to love hearing my own grandparents stories. Does anyone know how Ringinglow got its name?

Does anyone know how Ringinglow got its name?

I know this one as well, but I'm sworn to secrecy !

Strong hint to the answer to the original question :

XXX

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

I suppose the name says it all :rolleyes: But there is a story behind it all. Who founded this site? is it the one who is called admin?

Wasn't it to do with person getting lost on the moors until he heard in the distant bells from a church?

No ones has answered your question about the person called admin if he founded this site or not, not even admin him/herself? I think its RichardB, he seems to be on here every bit of the day!

Wasn't it to do with person getting lost on the moors until he heard in the distant bells from a church?

No ones has answered your question about the person called admin if he founded this site or not, not even admin him/herself? I think its RichardB, he seems to be on here every bit of the day!

Will the REAL Admin please reveal himself......! :unsure::unsure: :unsure:

Will the REAL Admin please reveal himself......! :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I AM Sparticus ... !!!

I'm not Admin, I'm a secret weapon used to entertain and confuse ... bit like a waffle-iron ... or a spokeshave ...

I have Admin rights, because I post a lot, make a lot of deliferate mistooks and I can then put then right ... or do I ?

Anyway, I thought Admin posted a picture of himself, some while back, prior to the first "Meet-up", I got a kicking cuz I said he had a head like a baked potato ... like I'm a great beauty lol

All join in, I AM ADMINicus !!! he he

Strange, but I just noticed that the pictures of Admin have mysteriously disappeared........is the man we now know as Admin a clone or an impostor.....the truth is out there.....!

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Strange, but I just noticed that the pictures of Admin have mysteriously disappeared........is the man we now know as Admin a clone or an impostor.....the truth is out there.....!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Was he kinda 19-stone looking ?

Hey, if I was Admin, my Badge-thingie would read 2,500 Club, not 500 Club and it would be a nice Gold colour, I don't even know how to do that ! Actually I originally asked for a "Castle Crisps Club" badge but I guess we've never found one of them.

Found it The secret photo of RichardB bathroom and the reason he never has to take a break from posting,

Richard__s_Bathroom.bmp

This gives new meaning to "Going Online"...

Found it The secret photo of RichardB bathroom and the reason he never has to take a break from posting,

Richard__s_Bathroom.bmp

This gives new meaning to "Going Online"...

Syrup, you just made my day. Converted to JPEG so all can enjoy....thanks again!

Sorry about that been waiting a long time to put it on just waiting for the right post but rushing in feet first i forgot to convert it so thanks for doing it.

I think Ive got Admins photo somewhere, saved it into my pictures under websites when we had that meet up.

Give me a minute Ill find it lol

See how long it lasts, is he looking he he