King Edward Hospital

syrup

Hi Fellow SHs

Has anyone out there got any information on King Edward Hospital Rivelin Valley Road circa 1940 or anything on any isolation Hospital in that area ??

Hi Fellow SHs

Has anyone out there got any information on King Edward Hospital Rivelin Valley Road circa 1940 or anything on any isolation Hospital in that area ??

There was an isolation hospital up the hill at Lodge Moor, does that count? Not Lodge Moor Hospital proper, it was at the top of Crimicar Lane.

There was an isolation hospital up the hill at Lodge Moor, does that count? Not Lodge Moor Hospital proper, it was at the top of Crimicar Lane.

Hi Bayleaf Any information about isolation hospitals in the Rivelin area would help its for my boss at work he is trying to trace his late mothers history and all he knows is that she worked at an isolation hospital in that area in the 1940s so its not a lot to go on so anything might help.

Hi Bayleaf Any information about isolation hospitals in the Rivelin area would help its for my boss at work he is trying to trace his late mothers history and all he knows is that she worked at an isolation hospital in that area in the 1940s so its not a lot to go on so anything might help.

Hi Syrup, the one at the top of Crimicar lane was I believe, demolished well before the 40's it also have an attached graveyard! There was also an isolation hospital at Hollow Meadows a short way out from Rivelin on the A57. Lodge Moor Hospital was built as an infectious disease hospital and therefore definately an isolation hospital, my Mum nursed there in the 50's, there are many reunion groups of nursing staff who still meet regularly the secretary of these would be the best way to source info for your boss.

Hi Syrup, the one at the top of Crimicar lane was I believe, demolished well before the 40's it also have an attached graveyard! There was also an isolation hospital at Hollow Meadows a short way out from Rivelin on the A57. Lodge Moor Hospital was built as an infectious disease hospital and therefore definately an isolation hospital, my Mum nursed there in the 50's, there are many reunion groups of nursing staff who still meet regularly the secretary of these would be the best way to source info for your boss.

Hi Bayleaf Thanks for that i think i know the place you mean on the right hand side before Moscar Top i will advice my boss.

Hi Bayleaf Thanks for that i think i know the place you mean on the right hand side before Moscar Top i will advice my boss.

You're welcome, but I think you meant to thank Huthwaite. Gets complicated doesn't it! Huthwaite's right, the one I mentioned was gone by the 1940's.

Hi Bayleaf and huthwaite OOP'S Sorry about that so can i now thank the both of you for the information, Totally my fault i must be loosing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Here is a piccie of Crimicar Lane Fever Hospital, until recently the gates were still standing, hosp records are available from 1902 to 1956 si I guess it was demolished shortly after, it was built in 1902 to care for TB sufferers, the way things are going we may soon wish we still had these places!

Here is a piccie of Crimicar Lane Fever Hospital, until recently the gates were still standing, hosp records are available from 1902 to 1956 si I guess it was demolished shortly after, it was built in 1902 to care for TB sufferers, the way things are going we may soon wish we still had these places!

So it was still operational in the 1940's which is the period Syrup is interested in? Like you I thought it had closed by then.

Guest karensheffield

Hi Fellow SHs

King Edwards was originally a children's orthopedic hospital, but it became effectively an isolation hospital as many of the patients had limb problems due to TB so had to be isolated. During both world wars it was used to treat injured troops. Life was hard for patients- every day their beds were wheeled out of the individual rooms under the open colonnades that linked them, come rain or shine. The beds were covered with tarpaulins when it rained. Of course there were no antibiotics then, fresh air was the only cure for TB. Life was not easy for the nurses either. They all lived in the main building, up in attic dormitories, and were in fear of Matron and the doctors. They had one afternoon off a week, and used to go to the post office at the end of Rivelin Valley Road where it joins the Manchester Road, and buy bottles of pop and sweets. I heard this from two elderly ladies who came to look round the King Edwards estate, now converted into housing. They had been nurses at the Edward VII hospital during the was, and one had emigrated to Canada and it was the first time she had been back since.

Guest karensheffield

Hello Syrup,

King Edward V11 hospital was originally an orthopoedic hospital but was also an isolation hospital as many of the limb problems were caused by TB so patients were kept in isolation.

Guest OLD No.12

thanks for the dates karen. it seems you know a fair bit of info of the hospital. the info what i'm really after is where did the refuge get disposed off in 1902 - 1920's

The building was demolished in the early 60s, pos 1963/4 and I think the gates are still there.

The building was demolished in the early 60s, pos 1963/4 and I think the gates are still there.

Are these the gates Mike?

Image from Google SV.

Guest Gramps

The NRA shows records - 1916-92: staff minutes, committee minutes, admissions registers, operation registers, case files, visitors book, are kept at Sheffield Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/sea...w.asp?ID=O62742

And some good photos here...

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=6845183

I notice that if 'Fever Hospital' is used as a search term on Picture Sheffield it brings up photos of both Crimicar lane and Lodge Moor hospitals...but the King Edward VII Orthopaedic Hospital is something and somewhere completely different. Much confusion here !!!

We need a sticky topic for Sheffield Hospitals.