Bus Companies of Sheffield Past

Guest Slimsid2000

Guest bus man

Following on from the above post we actually see a PMT bus in Sheffield although the lettering on this one is Potteries the early Atlantean a PDR1 model , is seen in aniveresay livery in honour of the 100th aniversary of PMT which was in 1979

I suspect this photo was taken in september 1980 the bus as called in to central bus station on its way back from the Norfolk Park rally.

Behind the bus can be seen a bit of sheffield midland station and sheaf house the hq of BR just peeping out from behind the bus shelter is the back of ex SJOC 1156 to the right of that can be seen a bus in pte livery an Ailsa perhaps or is it a DMS whatever it is, the bus as hopper style upper deck windows.

To the right of the atlantean we can see a East Lancs bodied Atlantean new to sheffield transport over taking a 153* fleetline the east lancs bodied atlantean as had its upper most blue line painted out I suspect the bus is 319.

Meanwhile a local youth complete with what would now be a fashon statement knitted cardy and sports bag is looking at the atlantean.

Guest transit

Following on from the above post we actually see a PMT bus in Sheffield although the lettering on this one is Potteries the early Atlantean a PDR1 model , is seen in aniveresay livery in honour of the 100th aniversary of PMT which was in 1979

I suspect this photo was taken in september 1980 the bus as called in to central bus station on its way back from the Norfolk Park rally.

Behind the bus can be seen a bit of sheffield midland station and sheaf house the hq of BR just peeping out from behind the bus shelter is the back of ex SJOC 1156 to the right of that can be seen a bus in pte livery an Ailsa perhaps or is it a DMS whatever it is, the bus as hopper style upper deck windows.

To the right of the atlantean we can see a East Lancs bodied Atlantean new to sheffield transport over taking a 153* fleetline the east lancs bodied atlantean as had its upper most blue line painted out I suspect the bus is 319.

Meanwhile a local youth complete with what would now be a fashon statement knitted cardy and sports bag is looking at the atlantean.

.......yes ..yet another fleeting moment i cannot recall , caught in time forever !!!!!!! Do you know if the low-height Atlantean is still around ? - Bet its the same size - unlike me !!!!! he he

Guest bus man

I forgot to put that on its still listed as preserved although ive not seen it recently

Guest janet and jerry

Not strictly Sheffield but anyone remember Hulleys Buses ? In the 1950's/60's I recall going on the train to Grindleford then getting the Hulleys Bus to Baslow. I guess they went all over Derbyshire area.

Hulley's operated a service to Eyam from Grindleford station, which connected with the trains certainly from Sheffield, not sure about the Manchesters. The Bedford OB were regular performers, they used to rattle and scream up the hill from Eyam Woodlands, but always got there.. In the same 1940/50's period Whites of Calver Sough (the garage as a recall was at the back of the Eyre Arms Pub) ( the old one) also operated. They had a very attractive blue livered OB, always seemed a bit more up market than Hulleys's. Hulley's are now well and truly back in business at Baslow, I fear that Whites are gone never to return, but who knows.

Guest bus man

Whites was taken over by chesterfield so are part of stagecoach they still have an operators licence but not sure if there are any disks on it

Guest rick9525

SYT (Mainline)

Sheffield & District

SUT

Mike Groves

Sid's Coaches

Ladyline

Don Valley Buses

Sheafline

Yorkshire Terrier

Andrews

Sheffield Omnibus

Aston Express

South Riding

Wigmores

Richardsons

Northern Bus

What memories do you have of these or others?

Being a young child and a fan of buses, deregulation meant a new interesting choice of buses. Until then travelling on the Green Chesterfield Transport buses was the only alternative to SYT though the later did offer a choice of bus type.

Living in Norton Yorkshire Terrier's 25 was used often as was the Sheaflines 436 which was identical to SYT's 36 route. From memory I think Sheffield and District operated the 285 to Dronfield and 286 to Holmesfield so I did not use them much.

My Grandparents lived in Ecclesall so used to catch the Andrews 83 into town. When Sheffield Omnibus (route 74) started I took a trip all the way to Barnsley from Ecclesall which took ages. Also one could catch it to High green (via Hillsborough) and come back on the route via Firth Park. That killed a few hours too. My only trip on Northern bus was to Penistone.

My favourite SYT route was the 38 via Norton Lees though the 59 was also used often as was the 75.

I like the Daimler fleetlines which by 1986 SYT seemed to use a lot less and also the Leyland National so as the new companies bought the old buses it meant I could still travel on them though my favourite was the volvo ailsa's/van hools which SYT used for a few years but then got rid of.

I have travelled on Hulleys to 272 to Castleton and also a great route (forget the number) that went from Castleton to Bakewell via Buxton that went a very long route through the Derbyshire villages and also the slow route from Bakewell to Matlock.

another couple of old sheffield Buses, bring back a few memories for anyone?

The Booth & Fisher buses brings back memories. Not because I ever used them, but because almost every car journey past their depot involved a stop so I could look at and note the fabulous collection of single deckers, so different from STD's buses. I was really upset when SYPTE bought them out in 1976.

The one outside Midland Station is just great - an Albion Nimbus of 1960 vintage, which survived long enough to become part of the SYPTE fleet and be numbered 1028, being withdrawn in 1978.

A brieef history of Booth and Fisher and fleet details can be found here:

http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_transpor...ists/booth1.htm

http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_transpor...ists/booth2.htm

Some more pictures, from John Law's massive collection here:

http://gallery41664.fotopic.net/c115621.html

Again not 100% Sheffield but the East Midland 99 route from Sheffield to Chesterfield. I used to catch it on Ridgeway Road and get off on Brimmington Road Chesterfield.

What a route, White Lane to Ridgeway and then down to Ford, The climb up the other side to White Lane was always an experience. The single decker had a heater right at the front a large round drum with a chrome ring. I used to pretend it was the steering wheel, well I was only nine. This in about 1953.

Saw a 99 the other day but it wasn’t going through Barrow Hill like it used to.

Any one got a picture.

Again not 100% Sheffield but the East Midland 99 route from Sheffield to Chesterfield. I used to catch it on Ridgeway Road and get off on Brimmington Road Chesterfield.

What a route, White Lane to Ridgeway and then down to Ford, The climb up the other side to White Lane was always an experience. The single decker had a heater right at the front a large round drum with a chrome ring. I used to pretend it was the steering wheel, well I was only nine. This in about 1953.

Saw a 99 the other day but it wasn’t going through Barrow Hill like it used to.

Any one got a picture.

The 99 was a route I also remember for similar reasons: a trip from Gleadless Townend to Chesterfield was always a highlight, especially as the green & white Chesterfield Corporation buses were to be seen at the other end.

Going the other way was equally good fun, when I first knew and used the 99 (in the 70s)- down Gleadless Road to Newfield Green was a bit nervy (and I was only a passenger!). Coming up Gleadless Road was just as good - sometimes wondered if the bus would make it!

It was for many years a jointly operated service by Sheffield Transport and East Midland, and was for many years the only bus which served Charnock, until the 64 started in the early 70s.

After undergoing many changes of route and number, the direct bus from Gleadless to Chesterfield disappeared some time ago.

HAven't located any photos so far, unfortunately, but I will keep trying.

I forgot to put that on its still listed as preserved although ive not seen it recently

766 EVT is still around - a picture of her at this year's POPS rally in Stoke-on-Trent can be seen here. She is, of course, 50 years old this year.

http://deansrallysnaps.fotopic.net/p58506005.html

Potteries/ PMT ran service buses into Sheffield for some time, from the 80s to early this century (the actual dates escape me). Service X23 was created by combining Trent's Sheffield - Buxton service and PMT's Buxton - Hanley service. A bit of an epic in terms of journey length. At some point it acquired extensions to and from Keele University as well, and it metamorphosed into the X18 at some point.

Some photos of PMT buses in Sheffield taken this century. The first one is very poor quality, taken at about 4pm in December, the second is operating for PMT (despite the livery) and the last is the same coach in corporate F***t livery (again not a very good shot but included because of the different location - my first digital camera was not brilliant). Has anyone got any better shots of buses on the X23/X18?

766 EVT is still around - a picture of her at this year's POPS rally in Stoke-on-Trent can be seen here. She is, of course, 50 years old this year.

http://deansrallysnaps.fotopic.net/p58506005.html

Potteries/ PMT ran service buses into Sheffield for some time, from the 80s to early this century (the actual dates escape me). Service X23 was created by combining Trent's Sheffield - Buxton service and PMT's Buxton - Hanley service. A bit of an epic in terms of journey length. At some point it acquired extensions to and from Keele University as well, and it metamorphosed into the X18 at some point.

Some photos of PMT buses in Sheffield taken this century. The first one is very poor quality, taken at about 4pm in December, the second is operating for PMT (despite the livery) and the last is the same coach in corporate F***t livery (again not a very good shot but included because of the different location - my first digital camera was not brilliant). Has anyone got any better shots of buses on the X23/X18?

Replying to my own post again!

The X23 service did not replace the Trent service to Buxton (route number 208 at the time) and ttok a different route, running via Baslow and Bakewell. Found another shot of an X23, this one from 2nd January 1993 and showing the PMT name.

Added to Site Calendar

My mothers sister in law's father drove for Chesterfield transport. He, like many bus drivers, was a rotund gentleman. She took me on a trip into darkest Derbyshire and on one hill we were asked to get off and follow the bus up the hill as it could not get up with any one on!!!

Guest mandator

When I lived in Froggatt in the 40s and 50s and was at Lady Manners School at Bakewell, Sheffield Corporation or SJOC used to run us to school. The bus stop was at Stoke Bar between Grindleford and Calver.

At first in 1953 they were AEC back loading single deckers but eventually the what we used to "flat fronters" came on the scene. I think the Leyland was an Olympian and there were two AEC models but I can't remember the names of them.

One of the AECs was OWB 13 and the others were TWJ ---.Maybe the AECs were Regents or Swifts.

I do recall another reg number for an AEC which was RPA 226 or 9 and often wondered if it was an ex AEC demo with that non-Sheffield reg.

I remember the name of the General Manager on the N/S of the buses was C.T.Humpidge. lol

There used to be three routes from Sheffield to Bakewell:-

37 via Baslow.

40 via Fox House

44 via Ladybower

The other route I remember was 84, the Sheffield-Buxton service shared with North Western Road Car.

And route 48 was Sheffield-Manchester via Woodhead.

An attempt was made to run a school bus through Froggatt village to Curbar school. I can't remember if it was Whites or Hulleys but one grounded on the Derwent bridge after coming down Stoke Lane and the idea was abandoned for a while.This would be pre 1953 and it was more fun walking anyroad !

Guest transit

When I lived in Froggatt in the 40s and 50s and was at Lady Manners School at Bakewell, Sheffield Corporation or SJOC used to run us to school. The bus stop was at Stoke Bar between Grindleford and Calver.

At first in 1953 they were AEC back loading single deckers but eventually the what we used to "flat fronters" came on the scene. I think the Leyland was an Olympian and there were two AEC models but I can't remember the names of them.

One of the AECs was OWB 13 and the others were TWJ ---.Maybe the AECs were Regents or Swifts.

I do recall another reg number for an AEC which was RPA 226 or 9 and often wondered if it was an ex AEC demo with that non-Sheffield reg.

I remember the name of the General Manager on the N/S of the buses was C.T.Humpidge. lol

37 via Baslow.

40 via Fox House

44 via Ladybower

The other route I remember was 84, the Sheffield-Buxton service shared with North Western Road Car.

An attempt was made to run a school bus through Froggatt village to Curbar school. I can't remember if it was Whites or Hulleys but one grounded on the Derwent bridge after coming down Stoke Lane and the idea was abandoned for a while.This would be pre 1953 and it was more fun walking anyroad !

...similar to these ?....

37 via Baslow.

40 via Fox House

44 via Ladybower

37 via Baslow.

40 via Fox House

44 via Ladybower

Whoops, sorry chaps something went amiss with my last post.

I was saying that an ex-Leyland Olympic demonstrator was obtained in 1952 and numbered 211 with reg. no. RPA771. Leyland saloons 222 and 223 were Royal Tigers with Edinburgh style 'standee' bodies with rear entry and open platforms. They were usually kept within the city boundaries on the Walkley route and I doubt very much whether they would have been allowed on school services outside the city

Guest transit

Whoops, sorry chaps something went amiss with my last post.

I was saying that an ex-Leyland Olympic demonstrator was obtained in 1952 and numbered 211 with reg. no. RPA771. Leyland saloons 222 and 223 were Royal Tigers with Edinburgh style 'standee' bodies with rear entry and open platforms. They were usually kept within the city boundaries on the Walkley route and I doubt very much whether they would have been allowed on school services outside the city

...yes , the two Royal Tigers which had the "Edinburgh" style body were bought in '53 , and were not approved into service till a rear emergency door was fitted to the back panel approved by the Ministry ! (pic 1) A side view of the same bus (pic 2)

The Leyland demonstrater bought in 1952 was indeed 211 - RPA 771 ,(pic 3)which was part of a batch of four .Interesting to note is how more "modern" the front -loading ones looked to the Tigers (rear-loading) bought a year later !

Guest mandator

Sorry,I should have added that those back-loading Leylands were not used on School runs.

RPA 771 - I recognise that reg number after all these years.Don't know where I got RPA 226 or 9 from. <_<

Sorry,I should have added that those back-loading Leylands were not used on School runs.

RPA 771 - I recognise that reg number after all these years.Don't know where I got RPA 226 or 9 from. <_<

Well, to move on a little further Mandator, before buying RPA 771, the S T D had bought three similar Leyland Olympics in 1951 numbered 226 to 228 and whose registrations were NWA 926-8, so if you've put it all together from memory, it's a pretty creditable effort. A touch of the Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn perhaps; 'basically the right numbers and letters but not necessarily in the right order' :-)

Guest mandator

Well, to move on a little further Mandator, before buying RPA 771, the S T D had bought three similar Leyland Olympics in 1951 numbered 226 to 228 and whose registrations were NWA 926-8, so if you've put it all together from memory, it's a pretty creditable effort. A touch of the Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn perhaps; 'basically the right numbers and letters but not necessarily in the right order' :-)

lol

Thanks for that oldrowley.I've always been good at remembering reg numbers,I wish I could have remembered more in my exams at school!I can remember the reg numbers of every lorry I've driven from 1968 - 2005 but I can't recall where I put my glasses just now. he he

Was it Glynn Pegg who set up R&D that used routmasters on the 72 route in about 1991, i got some good pics of these