Bus Companies of Sheffield Past

Guest Slimsid2000

Guest Atlantean

Was it Glynn Pegg who set up R&D that used routmasters on the 72 route in about 1991, i got some good pics of these

Yes it was, with Stevensons of Utoxetter being involved.

Guest Chapeltowner

A very well informed bunch you are -)

I was a driver for Sheffield Omnibus between 91-99.The buses that other companies were going to scrap,usually ended up there much to our annoyance.

You knew you had done a shift in them "sheds" as we called them.It was all shake rattle and smoke with the old girls.

On a good day you might find 2 out of 4 gears actually worked,so driving uphill was down to a fine art.Sometimes even finding a gear when the stick was in neutral -)

Water covering the driver at the first sign of rain,and using newspapers to stop the cab windows rattling all day long.

They were good times for me,some really good blokes there.

My father worked for Sheffield Transport from the 60s,so i suppose i can blame him for my interest in buses.

Craig.

Guest Chapeltowner

Was it Glynn Pegg who set up R&D that used routmasters on the 72 route in about 1991, i got some good pics of these

I thought it was Mick Groves who used the Routmasters,i could be wrong.

Craig.

I thought it was Mick Groves who used the Routmasters,i could be wrong.

Craig.

Welcome to the forum, Chapeltowner.

I think andyrad is right about the Routemasters being operated by Rotherham & District, set up by Glynne Pegg. I don't recall Groves using Routemasters (although having not been residfent in Sheffield since 1987 there are big gaps in my detailed knowledge).

Guest jimmy75

Welcome to the forum, Chapeltowner.

I think andyrad is right about the Routemasters being operated by Rotherham & District, set up by Glynne Pegg. I don't recall Groves using Routemasters (although having not been residfent in Sheffield since 1987 there are big gaps in my detailed knowledge).

Groves did have a routemaster on loan to them which was owned by Glynne pegg at the time this was around 1988 it was on loan.

Guest Atlantean

Mike Groves borrowed RM1109 109 CLT for three months, Sept to Nov 1988. The bus never failed once whilst it was here and was in excellant condition bodily and mechanically. It was always used on the 72, High Green-City and did the odd bingo run in the evening. If the experiment proved sucessful more RM`s would have appeared, in the end it was to costly. RM1109 later appeared with Rotherham and District and with the Stevensons backing recieved their yellowy orange livery.

Guest baldone

I have not been to Dinnington for a while but the garage was between the Co-op site and the indoor market. I believe it is now a snooker club. Behind a flower shop built in front of the garage.The old garage housed 7 buses, 2 to eitheer side and 3 down the middle.

Fosters buses was based on the Co-op site but they gave up running before I left school.

Guest bus man

One company not mentioned is Edge Hopper which operated a service using a hired in Ford Transit / Mellor absed on the shiregreen hotel it was operated by a ex SYT inspector the service was meant to offer a link between other services

It ran on the 6th & 7th September 1988 indeed it was withdrawn during the afternoon, to my knowledge there is only one photo that exists of this service and it isnt mine :( I was due to photo it on the 8th Sep

Guest jimmy75

One company not mentioned is Edge Hopper which operated a service using a hired in Ford Transit / Mellor absed on the shiregreen hotel it was operated by a ex SYT inspector the service was meant to offer a link between other services

It ran on the 6th & 7th September 1988 indeed it was withdrawn during the afternoon, to my knowledge there is only one photo that exists of this service and it isnt mine :( I was due to photo it on the 8th Sep

Also to add another one which I don't think even started was P.Singh of dobcroft road who registered a service 75 from lane top-bradway back in feb 1987.

On 19/02/2009 at 21:35, Stuart0742 said:

Were Hulley's Buses based in Baslow or was it Tideswell

A few odd elated thoughts.

A family firm, Hulleys were always in Baslow and ran their first service in 1921. Harry died in 1971 and the three children retired in 1978 when J.H.Wolliscroft and Son  ( Silver Service.of Darley Dale)  bought them out.  Thereafter the firm operated much as before but the name disappeared except for a few buses on the Matlock - Chesterfield service. In 1988 the stage carriage services were sold internally and the Hulley name restored but with no family connection. Currently there are some twenty vehicles on   fifteen routes. It is recorded that over the years they have had 100 buses, only five of which were new. It was always a matey service out to serve its customers. A classic in Hulley family days must be the day excursion to London. Early morning departure, full day and then evening return with the the gaffer at the wheel.  Arriving back at Baslow in the small hours no-one had paid because he had still not worked out what the fare was going to be.

On one occasion when I was about twelve I went to Baslow with my uncle who as usual had "a bit of business to do". He had bought a dozen pullets about eight weeks old. We each had a sack with six in, walked to Calver,  boarded the Tideswell bus and sat with a lively clucking sack on our knees. No-one batted an eyelid and the pullets travelled free. We got off at Foolow to walk the last two miles home. I doubt we could have done that on an 84 Corporation bus.  Going on one of their buses as a Bakewell Show feeder seems quite tame. 

The Tideswell operator was Harold Andrews,  owner and driver, a small fleet  in the 1950s but now a large international tour  operator. A hearty Derbyshire man, nothing bothered him. Discovering my family  originated at  the next farm down the road and were still active in the local area we got on well..In 1951 as his first trip abroad he took a bus load of us to Switzerland, to              S-chanf  in Graubunden, some miles up the valley past St. Moritz in a reasonably tidy Leyland halfcab diesel coach, requiring several hundred miles of driving on the wrong side plus Alpine roads.. I asked about this, his response being that he had a contract to take the local quarrymen from Tideswell to Earles Cement works at Hope for a 6 a.m. start. so he had practiced for several weeks by doing most of the journey on the wrong side as there was only the milk lorry about at that time of day. The more nervous of his pssengers were subdued with a few well chosen words. To be sure, the coach had also  been back to the Leyland works, checked, serviced and declared fit to go. 

Once into Switzerland it duly had a problem under the bonnet but got us there. Kept quiet from the party it transpired that the system was over fuelling the engine, nasty but apparently that had enabled us to get up and over two vicious Swiss passes. Harold had said the obviously lower gearing of the local buses gave them a distinct climbing  advantage. No Leyland service so it was up.with the bonnet, off with the faulty unit,  back across Switzerland to the Saurer works who kindly dismantled and rebuilt it by making their bits fit, tested and calibrated it and sent him on his way. Once refitted it worked and we were back in business. I would have been annoyed; to Harold it was just one of those things. Probably as well that it was an oldfashioned simple diesel bus.

Two firms that did their best for a local community. Cant be many left like them.

Does anyone have photos of buses/coaches operated by George Ernest Whitely, who operated from the 1920s until taken over by SUT in the early 50s?