Tram Locations

Stuart0742

Thats his plan, a bit like Alfred Hitchcocks cameo appearances in his own films

The well known local (Darnall) railway author Stephen Gay always used to include his dog ( a German Shepherd called Thunder) in his pictures of railway locations along now disused lines which he used to walk with a camera and his dog.

With vox the dog has been replaced with a van.

Time for another photo, I don't think we have had this one

Upwell Street, looking towards Brightside, at a location which Picture Sheffield refer to as Colver's Yard. Two shots: one of the same area taken from slightly further back and one of the old building to the left of the tram. The street sign Upwell Street can be seen on the wall.

On Map 61 the street (?) on which this building is located is referred to as Court No 1.

Where's this busy location, should be easy

Junction of Pond Street and Sheaf Street, with the tram turning from the former into the latter. It's the Wholesale Linoluem Co which gives it away!

Junction of Pond Street and Sheaf Street, with the tram turning from the former into the latter. It's the Wholesale Linoluem Co which gives it away!

Right so the Rd between the 2 trams is Howard st with Davy's Bakery in the left background

Right so the Rd between the 2 trams is Howard st with Davy's Bakery in the left background

That's how I see it, although it appears to be called Davy's Food Factory in this picture, which sounds a lot less appealing than Bakery.

Sheffield Wholesale Lino moved to this site after that.

Furnace hill - Gibraltar Street.

Now relocated to a trading estate near Cristal Peaks.

Google Streetview

Out in the suburbs for this one

Woodseats terminus, on Abbey Lane. Looking towards Meadowhead, with Marshall Road on the left.

Woodseats terminus, on Abbey Lane. Looking towards Meadowhead, with Marshall Road on the left.

That was my original thought, but I unwisely changed my mind :mellow:

What do you think of this one

This one looks like Mansfield Road, looking down towards Intake, with the lodge of Intake Cemetery behind the tram. The photographer must be somewhere around the junction with Sharrard Road (Maps 127 and 168)

The telephone box doesn't look very red!

So is mine wrong as well? Mansfield Rd. looks right to me.

I don't think this is Mansfield Road at Pleasant Road as there was no crossover at that point. The tram destination is Wadsley Bridge via Queens Rd, which suggests it is using the crossover at Woodseats terminus (the other end of the Wadsley Bridge route), which was at the junction of Abbey Lane/Camping Lane/Marshall Road.

I don't think this is Mansfield Road at Pleasant Road as there was no crossover at that point.

Aha! - the advantages of knowing something about the tram system. :)

The tram destination is Wadsley Bridge via Queens Rd, which suggests it is using the crossover at Woodseats terminus (the other end of the Wadsley Bridge route), which was at the junction of Abbey Lane/Camping Lane/Marshall Road.

How could you read that? I tried but couldn't make anything out?

Point taken about no crossover on Mansfield Road, but the junction on the left is the wrong shape for Camping Lane/Marshall Rd and there looks to be too much of a hill. ??

I agree about the steepness of the hill, but if the tram is reversing on a Wadsley Bridge service, the only place which fits is the Woodseats terminus - all the other crossovers on that route just don't match this photo.

The reading of the destination is a combination of a really good magnifying glass and a vivid imagination (I think this might be Woodseats, therefore the destination must read Wadsley Bridge, rather than the other way round!), although to my eyes the lower line is clearly via Queens Rd.

The only photograph I can find taken from the same angle is on page 74 of A Nostalgic Look at Sheffield Trams since 1950 by Graham H E Twidale, which is captioned as Woodseats terminus at Camping Lane. All the other photos I have seen of Woodseats terminus are taken from slightly further along the road, so Marshall Road can not be seen.

I agree about the steepness of the hill, but if the tram is reversing on a Wadsley Bridge service, the only place which fits is the Woodseats terminus - all the other crossovers on that route just don't match this photo.

The reading of the destination is a combination of a really good magnifying glass and a vivid imagination (I think this might be Woodseats, therefore the destination must read Wadsley Bridge, rather than the other way round!), although to my eyes the lower line is clearly via Queens Rd.

The only photograph I can find taken from the same angle is on page 74 of A Nostalgic Look at Sheffield Trams since 1950 by Graham H E Twidale, which is captioned as Woodseats terminus at Camping Lane. All the other photos I have seen of Woodseats terminus are taken from slightly further along the road, so Marshall Road can not be seen.

I put this together,

though the 'Google SV 'and the tram photo are taken from different angles and hight,

the houses are the same in both views.

I put this together,

though the 'Google SV 'and the tram photo are taken from different angles and hight,

the houses are the same in both views.

That'll do for me.

Whilst doing the odd then and nows, I've noticed that a lot of these old photos are awkward to get right as far as the height is concerned. I've ended up almost kneeling down to get the same view. It recently occurred to me that they were probably using "box type" cameras where the view finder is on top, making the lens at just above waist height. (for normal people lol )

That'll do for me.

Whilst doing the odd then and nows, I've noticed that a lot of these old photos are awkward to get right as far as the height is concerned. I've ended up almost kneeling down to get the same view. It recently occurred to me that they were probably using "box type" cameras where the view finder is on top, making the lens at just above waist height. (for normal people lol )

Either that or all tram photographers in the fifties were dwarfs lol

Would taking a photo from waist height make a gradient look steeper than it really is - several of the photos on this thread have fooled me initially by looking to have gradients steeper than they really are (to my eyes, anyway).

Great stuff on the Google Street View, SteveHB. I have a love hate relationship with it - I love it, my computer seems to hate it - don't know why.

That's better. Just like the red one at Wadsley Bridge earlier in this topic. Proper phone boxes have to be red. :)

Just below the prefab [behind the tram] is where Mansfield Drive is now. W/E.