Tram Locations

Stuart0742

The building behind the back of the tram looks vaguely familiar, but the only place I can think of would be at the bottom of the hill from Meadowhead, before the Big Tree pub. Will keep thinking, someone must know....!

Guest transit

Any thought on the location of the photo?

Sorry - cant help with the location - but as for the tram , 536 , this was THE very last tram to be built /delivered to Sheffield back in 1952(before the re-introduction of Supertram) and was one of the 36 (501 to 536) publicly loved "Roberts" style models. Although very modern and stylish at the time, there was disbelief and sadness when they were scrapped with the abandenment of the tramway system back in 1960 , when trams like 536 were cut up for scrap when approx only 9 years old! In comparison the Supertram today is around 14 years old! Fortunately sister trams 510 and 513 wera saved for preservation and can be seen at Crich and Beamish

Do we have any clue as to the date of this image.

If we can get that it would help as we could discount routes that had beien abandoned.

I think 536 was delivered after the decsion to close the system had been taken so there is a few roads it might not have been on.

Have a look at this shot.....

Then look at the first shot.

There looks to be some sort of outbuilding possibly an old stable with a large door off the ground.for loading hay perhaps?... Now look at the brick that stick out to hold the guttering up.....they appear to be in the same posistion.

It would be better if the two shots were took from the same angle and if the Roberts car wasnt blocking so much of the building in the first shot.

The only thing that puts me off saying Im sure thats the spot is the cars in the background. I dont think there is room at that junction for the tramway and a carpark at the side of The Abbey

You've beaten me to it, Hjdary, it is indeed The Abbey Hotel, Chesterfield Road.

I've pinched the photo below from the Sheffield Libraries website, the buildings in the background are John Codd's, (joiner and wheelwright).

It would be interesting to see a modern day photo for comparison, without getting run over that is!

Must be after 1952 when the tram was built

Best guess is Junction of Mowbray St.Harvest Lane and Apple Street, Neepsend

You've beaten me to it, Hjdary, it is indeed The Abbey Hotel, Chesterfield Road.

I've pinched the photo below from the Sheffield Libraries website, the buildings in the background are John Codd's, (joiner and wheelwright).

It would be interesting to see a modern day photo for comparison, without getting run over that is!

Problem solved, Abbey Pub at the bottom of Meadowhead, I could not rember the Abbey having 3 stories, but it has see photos taken today

Many thanks

Thats definitly it. The image Dr Stanley posted...when placed side by side with the first image....shows the roof lines of the main building are the same.

I'm glad we nailed that one so I can sleep tonight!

I've found a few moving pictures of the said junction, unfortunately the "Abbey" is just not quite in the shot.

Many thanks Stuart, for the modern pics, I had forgot about the central reservation.

Abbey Lane tram

I've found a few moving pictures of the said junction, unfortunately the "Abbey" is just not quite in the shot.

Many thanks Stuart, for the modern pics, I had forgot about the central reservation.

Abbey Lane tram

This clip is at the other end of Abbey lane at Beauchief Terminus

Beauchief Terminus

Hi dr stanley Excelant footage you dont realise how unsafe they look when they moved at speed. Do you have any on Barnsley Rd to or from Sheffield Lane Top please.

How about a trip along Staniforth Road on a sunny day, the conductress just looks like my mum.

Staniforth Road

A bit more of Abbey Lane here

Mystery Bridge

Almost at the end of the clip of "Abbey Lane" you see a tram about to ascend Abbey Lane from Abbeydale Road, in the background is the Beauchief Hotel with what appears to be a bridge over Abbeydale Road, any ideas regarding the bridge?

Mystery Bridge

Syrup ..... I'll find you some clips out of Lane Top and Barnsley Road

I've uploaded a couple more clips. There's Meadowhead to The Wicker and then The Wicker To Sheffield Lane Top via Firth Park.

I'm getting the clips from a video I bought many years ago entitled simply "Sheffield Trams", I don't know wether the video is still available but I know there are copies floating about in the Sheffield Libraries

From Meadowhead

To Sheffield Lane Top

Hi dr stanley Thanks for that the Lane Top clips were brilliant they brought back many memories of my cycling days when i was delivering papers for the Rendezvous newsagent opposite the Terminus taking care to avoid the lines with the bike.

Guest transit

For anybody wanting the full-length video , just go on ebay , and enter "Sheffield trams" and press search - and this and various other films ,books, pictures and even models are often available!

Hi dr stanley Thanks for that the Lane Top clips were brilliant they brought back many memories of my cycling days when i was delivering papers for the Rendezvous newsagent opposite the Terminus taking care to avoid the lines with the bike.

Glad you liked the clips ..... I vaguely remember the Rendezvous, was'nt the right hand side a cafe or coffee bar.

Would walk past in the 60's on the way to the Capitol, then chips after from the chip shop behind the cinema on Swanbourne Road.

Glad you liked the clips ..... I vaguely remember the Rendezvous, was'nt the right hand side a cafe or coffee bar.

Would walk past in the 60's on the way to the Capitol, then chips after from the chip shop behind the cinema on Swanbourne Road.

Hi dr stanley Trying to think back to my school days i cant recall the cafe seem to think it was Greenstreets the Chemist next door but i could be wrong but i do remember the chippy on Swanbourne bettered only by the Paragon at Firth Park.

Hi dr stanley Trying to think back to my school days i cant recall the cafe seem to think it was Greenstreets the Chemist next door but i could be wrong but i do remember the chippy on Swanbourne bettered only by the Paragon at Firth Park.

To keep this thread going, what about this photo.

To keep this thread going, what about this photo.

Not as difficult as the first one but here goes ...... Halifax Road, having just left "Gallaghers cigarette factory ", approaching the White Horse pub on the left, with the shops at the junction of Southey Green Road in the background!

"Newboulds bread is like lead and when you eat it you drop down dead" ...... as the rhyme used to go.

Not as difficult as the first one but here goes ...... Halifax Road, having just left "Gallaghers cigarette factory ", approaching the White Horse pub on the left, with the shops at the junction of Southey Green Road in the background!

"Newboulds bread is like lead and when you eat it you drop down dead" ...... as the rhyme used to go.

Oh yes I recognise the location now, looking back towards town.

How far did the trams go up Halifax Road or is that the terminus

Great stuff. Any from Hillsborough, Hilfoot Bridge and Neepsend area?

I've uploaded a couple more clips. There's Meadowhead to The Wicker and then The Wicker To Sheffield Lane Top via Firth Park.

I'm getting the clips from a video I bought many years ago entitled simply "Sheffield Trams", I don't know wether the video is still available but I know there are copies floating about in the Sheffield Libraries

From Meadowhead

To Sheffield Lane Top