Tram Locations

Stuart0742

As no-one else has replied, I shall go public.

Commercial Inn/Hotel on the corner of Sheffield Road and Weedon Street.

I removed the top part of the image that shows the 'Ward's' name, thinking it made the location too easy to identify,

here is the full image.

And a view of the Commercial, here on picturesheffield,

the door on the corner has been replaced with a window.

Never heard of that pub (she says, pretending to ignore the joke lol)

I was only joking, I remember the pub well enough, ten bob on trap five ?

Postcript:- I thought the pub was The Greyhound but I've found that on Picture Sheffield and it doesn't look like the same pub although it was later used by Truline Bras. They must have had a thing about moving into old pubs.

Incidently does anybody remember the new building they had built in the Shalesmoor area. I think the flat roof collapsed during construction and I seem to remember fatalities.

HD

In French, what is the difference between a brasserie and a brassiere ?

Answer, One is a BAR and the other is a BRA

and it follows that

One has Glasses and the other has Cups

Come on then, put me out of my misery, where is the tram and ex pub ?

Following on from Dave H's post above did you know that the culverted River Little Don that runs under Stocksbridge Works has been christened the 40DD by the Urb- Ex community ?

The reason ? Simples, it runs under Sam Foxes. (Samantha Fox geddit?)

I'll get mi coat :unsure:

Cherry Tree Inn, Gibraltar Street - Brassiere manufacturers (1957 Kelly's)

Following on from Dave H's post above did you know that the culverted River Little Don that runs under Stocksbridge Works has been christened the 40DD by the Urb- Ex community ?

So it looks as though the Truline Bra factory just popped over the road to The Greyhound at number 217, they were there in 1960 according to Picture Sheffield.

HD

So it looks as though the Truline Bra factory just popped over the road to The Greyhound at number 217, they were there in 1960 according to Picture Sheffield.

HD

Perhaps Brook Shaw got them out :ph34r:

So this is the modern view

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Cupola,+Sheffield&amp;aq=3&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=19.228226,56.381836&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Cupola,+Sheffield+S3+8UQ,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.386615,-1.472469&amp;spn=0.002361,0.006883&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.386981,-1.472553&amp;panoid=uAYdEo3IR-coEmbdb3F28A&amp;cbp=12,328.05,,0,0&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Cupola,+Sheffield&amp;aq=3&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=19.228226,56.381836&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Cupola,+Sheffield+S3+8UQ,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.386615,-1.472469&amp;spn=0.002361,0.006883&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.386981,-1.472553&amp;panoid=uAYdEo3IR-coEmbdb3F28A&amp;cbp=12,328.05,,0,0" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

That looks pretty much like what I decided was the "now" shot: perhaps a little to the right, but it is hard to be exact. I have not been to that part of Sheffield for many years.

As well as Sam Fox various other females have given their names to a variety of things associated with their ample assets over the years. Although Mae West is before my time there has been Sabrinas (named after Sabrina who appeared on Arthur Askeys "Hello Playmates), Bardots (Bridgette Bardot), Mansfields (Jayne Mansfield) and Roes (Erica Roe, a streaker who streaked at a Twickenham Rugby match in 1981)

First thought was Shoreham Street but I think this service went via London Rd so unlikely. The building at the rear of the tram looks distinctly familiar. Will have to check out some early Sheffield scenes.

Infirmary Road, looking towards town. The building in the background is now Langsett Cycles.