Tram Locations

Stuart0742

We do not appear to have had this one.

What a great picture. I did not know that this used to be "the end of the line". When was it extended to near the Rex?

Interesting that the tram is on the left track but the pole has still to be moved using the auto reverse wire to the same side.

Off topic,

It's great when pictures bring back memories, In the early 60's I was driving my company Mini!! past this location when the car in front knocked a lady down. It was poring with rain and we asked the shop, about where the barbers is, if we could borrow an umbrella the shop keeper provided a brand new one and we held it over the lady to try and keep the rain off her. I always kept a blanket in the car (Still Do) and we put this over her to try and keep her warm. When the ambulance came and took her away my blanket went with her and I never saw it again. (sob sob)

What a great picture. I did not know that this used to be "the end of the line". When was it extended to near the Rex?

Interesting that the tram is on the left track but the pole has still to be moved using the auto reverse wire to the same side.

Off topic,

It's great when pictures bring back memories, In the early 60's I was driving my company Mini!! past this location when the car in front knocked a lady down. It was poring with rain and we asked the shop, about where the barbers is, if we could borrow an umbrella the shop keeper provided a brand new one and we held it over the lady to try and keep the rain off her. I always kept a blanket in the car (Still Do) and we put this over her to try and keep her warm. When the ambulance came and took her away my blanket went with her and I never saw it again. (sob sob)

It is interesting to see the auto-reverser. I was quite surprised to see one in use at what looks like an early date.

The Intake route was extended to Hollinsend Road on 8th February 1935 according to the STD souvenir brochure, before being extended to Birley Vale on 29th December 1935: this was the last extension of the old tramway system.

It is interesting to see the auto-reverser. I was quite surprised to see one in use at what looks like an early date.

The Intake route was extended to Hollinsend Road on 8th February 1935 according to the STD souvenir brochure, before being extended to Birley Vale on 29th December 1935: this was the last extension of the old tramway system.

Hollinsend Road to Birley Vale not a great distance a few hundred yards. That took the line to the old Yorkshire / Derbyshire border, I did used to wonder why the line was not continued up the hill to the new estate at Frecheville. It was quite a walk to the terminus for residents moving into Frecheville. May be it was because they could not cross into Derbyshire.

Like many people I cannot understand why the super tram did not go down Mansfield Road and through Frecheville with the large number of people who live there. It could still have gone through to Crystal Peaks.

They were placed there after the poles had been freshly painted to protect passers- by. W/E.

That sounds like a very sensible answer to me.

I don't recall hearing them called Telegraph Poles, but I can fully understand why they would be.

Cork borers........that takes me back. They were fine until used on rubber bungs!

Cork borers won't bore a hole through a rubber bung and you wouldn't need to as bungs come with either 0,1 or 2 holes already in them.

Interestingly though, you still need a cork borer to fit the glass tube safely through the hole in the bung.

If you try to push the glass through the hole (remember it has to be a gas tight fit) you will most likely break the glass and push it into your hand causing a nasty cut or wound.

The technique is to push a cork borer through the bung hole to stretch the rubber slightly. The glass tube is then dropped down the hollow cork borer tube which is already through the hole in the bung. If the cork borer is now removed from the bung, leaving the glass in place, the stretched rubber relaxes back gripping the glass tube tightly without risk of breaking it.

Cork borers won't bore a hole through a rubber bung and you wouldn't need to as bungs come with either 0,1 or 2 holes already in them.

Interestingly though, you still need a cork borer to fit the glass tube safely through the hole in the bung.

If you try to push the glass through the hole (remember it has to be a gas tight fit) you will most likely break the glass and push it into your hand causing a nasty cut or wound.

The technique is to push a cork borer through the bung hole to stretch the rubber slightly. The glass tube is then dropped down the hollow cork borer tube which is already through the hole in the bung. If the cork borer is now removed from the bung, leaving the glass in place, the stretched rubber relaxes back gripping the glass tube tightly without risk of breaking it.

I used that technique with rubber bungs several times in the dim and distant past.

For some reason lost in the mists of time, in my first real job we had many "virgin" rubber bungs with no holes and not enough with holes. Didn't take me long to realise that the cork borer was not a rubber borer :rolleyes:.

I am certain this location should be easy to identify, but I can't get my brain to work properly at the moment - too many other things on my mind.

newhall road at the junction of alfred road looking towards attercliffe the pub is the brickmakers arms

Ecclesall Rd South - Streetview follows soon

Google Streetview

(Quicker than I thought)

Ecclesall Church, more or less opposite Dunkeld Road then,

been past there lots of times, had no idea where the photo was taken !

Where was this photo taken ?

Fulwood terminus, at the very end of the tracks on Canterbury Avenue.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.365189,-1.541187&spn=0.001924,0.004136&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.365207,-1.54134&panoid=y0I1UHfYTuy6gLiJ9SFZHg&cbp=12,303.98,,1,8.38&source=embed&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.365189,-1.541187&spn=0.001924,0.004136&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.365207,-1.54134&panoid=y0I1UHfYTuy6gLiJ9SFZHg&cbp=12,303.98,,1,8.38&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Fulwood terminus, at the very end of the tracks on Canterbury Avenue.

Thank you MA, round about here then,

anyone any idea of the name of the Church and cemetery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit, just found Christ Church Fullwood, if I'm correct ?

Thank you MA, round about here then,

anyone any idea of the name of the Church and cemetery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit, just found Christ Church Fullwood, if I'm correct ?

Beat me to it: I was about to reply with Christ Church Fulwood.

Looks like vox knows the location of post #616,

must admit I had no idea !

Thought you might have known this one, Steve: there are other images of trams at this location on the forum.

Thought you might have known this one, Steve: there are other images of trams at this location on the forum.

My photographic memory must have stopped working.

Looks like vox knows the location of post #616,

must admit I had no idea !

Vox PM'd me this picturesheffield link

Found the images you mention MA,

It also appeared in Strange how I am able to remember all the topics with trams in :rolleyes:. Perhaps I should have realised by now that not everyone else has the same obsession with trams as me.

It also appeared in Strange how I am able to remember all the topics with trams in :rolleyes:. Perhaps I should have realised by now that not everyone else has the same obsession with trams as me.

Think this is a new un, this time I recognise the location,

anyone else know ?

Looks very much like Holme Lane to me, almost at the Malin Bridge terminus.

Not changed much has it.

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;q=sheffield+hallam&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=hallam&amp;hnear=Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&amp;t=m&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;fll=53.399851,-1.510996&amp;fspn=0.00157,0.003401&amp;st=109146043351405611748&amp;rq=1&amp;ev=zo&amp;split=1&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.399965,-1.510956&amp;panoid=igFLb9RpJYsNIOGVt0pDmQ&amp;cbp=13,292.51,,0,-8.23&amp;ll=53.399679,-1.510958&amp;spn=0.001004,0.003015&amp;z=18&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;q=sheffield+hallam&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=hallam&amp;hnear=Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&amp;t=m&amp;vpsrc=0&amp;fll=53.399851,-1.510996&amp;fspn=0.00157,0.003401&amp;st=109146043351405611748&amp;rq=1&amp;ev=zo&amp;split=1&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.399965,-1.510956&amp;panoid=igFLb9RpJYsNIOGVt0pDmQ&amp;cbp=13,292.51,,0,-8.23&amp;ll=53.399679,-1.510958&amp;spn=0.001004,0.003015&amp;z=18&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>