Tram Locations

Stuart0742

Guest alexander

...Middlewood Rd - the bottom bit as it just branches off Penistone Rd. ,sandwiched between Hillsboro Park on the right and the Football ground on the left. Could be football specials. In the background, would just about see the ski village on the hills nowadays! :o

The three trams are on Parkside Road and these three trams were the last 3 rocker panel cars in Sheffield and are on a tram enthusiasts tour in the 50s , Parkside Road was used for stacking trams on football match days and also fotr training tram drivers , it was never a through tram route from Penistone Road to Middlewood Road although there was accsess tto both these roads at both ends

I am certain this location should be easy to identify, but I can't get my brain to work properly at the moment - too many other things on my mind.

Something about it reminds me of Stanniforth Road - looking away from City. I don't know why. Just a feeling.

Edit: I've just had a 5 minute drive up and down on streetview and clearly it isn't where I thought it was/is

I am certain this location should be easy to identify, but I can't get my brain to work properly at the moment - too many other things on my mind.

I think the clue has got to be the background, like MA I am sure I should recognise this.

Am I right in thinking that this is a view along Newhall Road looking towards Attercliffe Common ...... making the road on the left of the photo Alfred Road (see Map 64) now outside the PDSA.

Am I right in thinking that this is a view along Newhall Road looking towards Attercliffe Common ...... making the road on the left of the photo Alfred Road (see Map 64) now outside the PDSA.

No your not right in thinking dr stanley !

You are spot on !

Well done it's put my mind at rest.

The PH/Beer House in MA's photo, No 21 Newhall Rd was the Bricklayer's Arms

SH link .. Bricklayer's Arms

SH link to .. 1900's photo of the Brickmakers Arms, could it have been the same pub before a face lift?

OS map #64

No your not right in thinking dr stanley !

You are spot on !

Well done it's put my mind at rest.

SH link .. Bricklayer's Arms

SH link to .. 1900's photo of the Brickmakers Arms, could it have been the same pub before a face lift?

OS map #64

Just needs a certain "man with a van" now

Just needs a certain "man with a van" now

Do we know one ?

In the meantime, I'll go he he

I should be around that area on Friday

Do we know one ?

In the meantime, I'll go he he

I should be around that area on Friday

In the same area, The Junction Hotel Brightside Ln

Guest Gramps

It was always referred to as the 'Brickmekkers' by the Alfred road people of my acquaintance when they were fondly reminiscing about folk getting 'grated' on a Saturday night ;-)

Not an easy couple of pictures to do.

I was intending to take the camera but The Missis had it in her bag at work so - mobile with scratched lense.

Massive road widening and complete lack of reference points but:

I did some work painting lorries in a shed belonging to Atkinsons (early 90's I think). Atkinsons (Yellow box) took up the whole corner between Brightside lane and Newhall Rd.

From that I can more or less determine the line of the right hand side of Brightside Ln because of the surviving brick building which was next to their entrance.

So I think it was about where the red box is

Any help appreciated.

Next one the same.

Where I think Atkinsons was in the yellow box. The sunlight on the old picture must be coming from the road junction on the right.

The only other point of reference is the bridge.

So I think it must be about here.

Same again - any thoughts before I crop them ?

Great stuff gents: good to see you have been keeping busy whilst I have been otherwise engaged in the last few weeks.

I am still not entirely with it, so here is another one requiring your assistance.

Any thoughts on whether I've got the last 2 about right.

I'll finish them at that If nobody thinks otherwise.

Guest transit

...certainly convinced me ! - well done , and thanks .

Pretty close as far as I can see, given how different the area is now.

Perhaps on the Bricklayers Arms shot the old picture should be a bit closer to where the now photo was taken from, based on the location of the light in the right hand side of that picture being from Alfred Road.

Great stuff gents: good to see you have been keeping busy whilst I have been otherwise engaged in the last few weeks.

I am still not entirely with it, so here is another one requiring your assistance.

Suddenly yesterday after each day looking at this photo I had that eureka moment, yes I have it! .... now the question is should I disclose it or give someone else a chance .... here's a clue.

The photo must have been taken early afternoon (direction of shadows) so the 2 lads (if its a Saturday afternoon) could be going to the afternoon matinee at the cinema from where outside of, the photo was taken.

Guest transit

Suddenly yesterday after each day looking at this photo I had that eureka moment, yes I have it! .... now the question is should I disclose it or give someone else a chance .... here's a clue.

The photo must have been taken early afternoon (direction of shadows) so the 2 lads (if its a Saturday afternoon) could be going to the afternoon matinee at the cinema from where outside of, the photo was taken.

...well that narrows it down to around 20? cinemas then !!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :huh

...well that narrows it down to around 20? cinemas then !!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :huh

Well it's not the Gaumont so it's down to 19 now.

Can we rule out a few.

I don't think it's:

Darnall

Attercliffe

Pennistone Rd area

Town Ctr.

Abbeydale

Lowfields

Highfields

Crookes

Walkley

Ecclesall

Just a sudden thought.

Could it be Winter Street ?

Guest alexander

The tram has just left what today is Shalesmoor tram stop heading away from city on Infirmary Road , the building on the left is the pub thats still there and in the distance on the right is St Phlips churchyard

alexanders correct he wins the coconut, if I had one. The 2 lads are just coming up to Obson Road (map 29). The present day photoghraphers location is in the central reservation of Penistone Road, traffic whizzing past on both sides and now the trams are on the left, no longer on the right ..... the pub is The Wellington.

alexanders correct he wins the coconut, if I had one. The 2 lads are just coming up to Obson Road (map 29). The present day photoghraphers location is in the central reservation of Penistone Road, traffic whizzing past on both sides and now the trams are on the left, no longer on the right ..... the pub is The Wellington.

Photo on it's way. Give me a day or so.

Getting It may involve "van doors open" and "hard hat on" to look official.

So it would be the Roscoe?

Photo on it's way. Give me a day or so.

Getting It may involve "van doors open" and "hard hat on" to look official.

If I remember correctly the road up the side of the Roscoe was called Jobson Road. I think someone has been at the OS map with an eraser. As a young lad I used to go to the Saturday morning matinees to watch wee pipe Barton Special Agent etc, and the queue of spotty lads wearing snake belts to hold up their short trousers used to wend it's way up Jobson Road. In much later years I used to collect bottles of LPG from a depot on Jobson Road for our static caravan.

HD