Tram Locations

Stuart0742

The Citroen is a Traction Avant.

First ever front wheel drive car.

Look closely - this one is a right hand drive.

Probably a conversion because I don't think they would have produced any RHD.

The BSA front-wheel-drive 3 wheeler was made available with a optional fourth wheel in 1932, it became more of a `proper` car in 1933 when a four-cylinder engine was fitted. The 1929 American Cord L-29 was one of the most powerfull front-wheel-drive cars of its era, it was fitted with a 125 bhp engine of 4.9 litres capacity. We still pipped the post though with vox`s 1928 Alvis 12/75. W/E.

The BSA front-wheel-drive 3 wheeler was made available with a optional fourth wheel in 1932, it became more of a `proper` car in 1933 when a four-cylinder engine was fitted. The 1929 American Cord L-29 was one of the most powerfull front-wheel-drive cars of its era, it was fitted with a 125 bhp engine of 4.9 litres capacity. We still pipped the post though with vox`s 1928 Alvis 12/75. W/E.

That sounds a bit silly but I suppose its what Reliant did when they brought out the 4 wheeled Reliant Kitten, which was a four wheel version of their very popular 3 wheel vehicle the Reliant Robin.

As far as I know with 3 wheelers, the British designs always favour powering 2 of the 3 wheels so Reliants are rear wheel drive (1 wheel at front) while BSA / Morgan are front wheel drive (1 wheel at back)

However some of the German designs (BMW, Heinkel, Messerschmidt) have a single powered rear wheel.

Guest kenfozzy

Thanks for all the replies, I know have locations for my photo's, may use as then and nows later.

This is definately Abbey Lane, reswrved track. Parkside Road had the overhead wires crossing from one side to the other. Also there is no facility for motor traffic because of centre poles for the overheadwires. Kenfozzy.

Guest kenfozzy

This seems to be causing problems, so whilst you are thinking here is a simpler one, my 1st thought was Abbeydale Rd, but not sure now

Chesterfield looking towards Heely bottom. Meersbrook Park Road on right just after Pedestrian crossing. 'Taylors' newsagent on corner.

Kenfozzy

Back to the trams: another fine shot for your perusal.

Been a bit slow with these recently - sorry.

I was up there today so:

Abbey Lane, from the corner of Greenhill Road (left foreground)

Been a bit slow with these recently - sorry.

I was up there today so:

Abbey Lane, from the corner of Greenhill Road (left foreground)

Great stuff, vox.

How about this one. Looks like it should be easy, but I can't place it at all. Could be too much Henderson's again :wacko:

Great stuff, vox.

How about this one. Looks like it should be easy, but I can't place it at all. Could be too much Henderson's again :wacko:

Is it another Abbey Lane one. About 100yds further up than the last one?

Edit:

Just had a look on streetview and I don't think it is.

Edit:

Having been all the way along Abbey Lane and Abbeydale Road and back again on Multimap and Streetview and drawn a blank, I have had another look and I think you are right, Vox.

The building with the stepped frontage to the right of the tram is still there, on Camping Lane, and the white gate is between Camping Lane and Marshall Road - it appears to be a wooden fence of some sort now, looking at Google Streetview. The house facing the camera, just to the right of the rear tram is on Linden Avenue (not very clear on streetview), and the last house on Abbey Lane before the junction has a distinctive gable, still there today. There is also a school on the left (out of shot) which would agree with the road sign.

This shot in the Tramway Museum Photo Library is taken from a little bit further along Abbey Lane from the photo in question if you are right, and it makes sense to me now.

I think it is taken from near the junction of Abbey Lane, Camping Lane and Marshall Road (having been completely clueless for so long with it)

Edit:

Well, the street sign says Abbey Lane, and Lunts funeral premises are in the background. W/E.

Well, the street sign says Abbey Lane, and Lunts funeral premises are in the background. W/E.

Don't rub it it WE. :)

That's that one sorted then. - in a 3way, round-about, disjointed effort. :rolleyes:

I'll print it off and go up there sometime.

Brought forward as we never did solve the whereabouts of this tram photo.

Looks like Attercliffe Road/Baldwin Street.

Brought forward as we never did solve the whereabouts of this tram photo.

Having had another trawl around the maps and books at my disposal, I shall stick with my earlier reply to this one, that I think it is Attercliffe Road near Royds Mill Street, looking away from the city centre, the buildings on the left being numbers 207 and 209 Attercliffe Road (Maps 87 and 68)

Having had another trawl around the maps and books at my disposal, I shall stick with my earlier reply to this one, that I think it is Attercliffe Road near Royds Mill Street, looking away from the city centre, the buildings on the left being numbers 207 and 209 Attercliffe Road (Maps 87 and 68)

A map with a red arrow, as if by magic

Hi jmdee

Where abouts at Wadsley Bridge, my knowledge of that end of town is limited.

It is at the very end of the line at Wadsley Bridge, which is described in my books as Halifax Road at the junction with Southey Green Road (and hence not, as far as I can see, on any of the 1950s OS maps). Not a part of town I am familiar with, either.

Halifax Road has a long Right hand bend going down the hill at the point where Southey Green Road joins it.

I can't make a Left hand bend fit anywhere around there.

Halifax Road has a long Right hand bend going down the hill at the point where Southey Green Road joins it.

I can't make a Left hand bend fit anywhere around there.

We are looking away from town. Further digging around suggests the terminus is further up Halifax Road than the Southey Green Junction, round the corner but before the junction with Doe Royd Lane.

I think the open land behind the tram is the location of Gallaher's factory (seen in this photo from Picture Sheffield) and which is now a Lidl supermarket.

More shots of Wadsley Bridge tram terminus on the Tramway Museum website:

http://www.tramway.c...photo/?id=19720

http://www.tramway.c.../photo/?id=3058

We are looking away from town. Further digging around suggests the terminus is further up Halifax Road than the Southey Green Junction, round the corner but before the junction with Doe Royd Lane.

I think the open land behind the tram is the location of Gallaher's factory (seen in this photo from Picture Sheffield) and which is now a Lidl supermarket.

More shots of Wadsley Bridge tram terminus on the Tramway Museum website:

http://www.tramway.co.uk/smx/photos/photo/?id=19720

http://www.tramway.co.uk/smx/photos/photo/?id=3058

That's right madannie, between Southey Green Rd and Doe Royd. Meynell school is just off to the right.

Ok that sounds like a definite then.

I'll print it off and try for a comparison shot.

Not forgetting of course that the subtitle of this thread is "where can we get vox to go next?" lol