Tram Locations

Stuart0742

Either that or all tram photographers in the fifties were dwarfs lol

Would taking a photo from waist height make a gradient look steeper than it really is - several of the photos on this thread have fooled me initially by looking to have gradients steeper than they really are (to my eyes, anyway).

Good question.

It certainly makes a difference to the perspective in other ways.

Looks like I'm off to put that way to the test sometime soon then. :)

Good question.

It certainly makes a difference to the perspective in other ways.

Looks like I'm off to put that way to the test sometime soon then. :)

Something else I have noticed, especially when taking comparison shots for then and nows, the 1950's tram photographer, quite often stood in the road. Obviously the traffic conditions do not allow this nowadays.

That'll do for me.

Whilst doing the odd then and nows, I've noticed that a lot of these old photos are awkward to get right as far as the height is concerned. I've ended up almost kneeling down to get the same view. It recently occurred to me that they were probably using "box type" cameras where the view finder is on top, making the lens at just above waist height. (for normal people lol )

Not sure about that vox,

Using a TLR (twin lens reflex) like a Roleiflex or Roleicord, or if your rich even a Hasselblad (not all waist level cameras were cheap little box cameras you know) seemed to make little difference to perspective when compared to eye level viewfinders and SLR 9single lens reflex) cameras.

Many of my older pictures were taken from eye level not waist, but even so compared to a modern view of the same place ukelele lady seems to think I was looking out of someones bedroom window or on the top deck of a bus lol

Woodseats Terminus - Abbey Lane.

Done :)

When you're there, it is more of a slope down to Meadowhead than one would imagine.

The silver car on the right disguises this fact.

===========

Edit:

If you look at the end wall of the building center/left, there's a name stone.

CAJUSA - The only thing I can find is a place in Bosnia.

today's location

not Sheffield and nothing to do with trams, but is that VOX's van on the promenade lol

Caught me moonlighting for seasidetownhistory.co.uk :)

Caught me moonlighting for seasidetownhistory.co.uk :)

I bet Madannie knows where the mystery seaside town is lol , no clues yet

no tramway, but not trams

Not a funicular railway (tramway) up the side of a cliff then,

like the one at Scarborough

or the one at Saltburn

Not a funicular railway (tramway) up the side of a cliff then,

like the one at Scarborough

or the one at Saltburn

No just a tramway on the level with no trams

No Weymouth

I thought they were railway lines at Weymouth as I was once driving along a street there with tram lines in a Reliant Robin van (it was 1984) and there was this train coming down the road towards me. The lines seemed to be heading to the station along the centre of the road.

So why would vox want to go to Weymouth at this time of the year? <_<

The south west have had worse weather than us.

I thought they were railway lines at Weymouth as I was once driving along a street there with tram lines in a Reliant Robin van (it was 1984) and there was this train coming down the road towards me. The lines seemed to be heading to the station along the centre of the road.

So why would vox want to go to Weymouth at this time of the year? <_>

The south west have had worse weather than us.

He wasn't it was just a white van on the Weymouth beach webcam

It is a railway line but worked under Tramway rules

Any must get back on topic

He wasn't it was just a white van on the Weymouth beach webcam

It is a railway line but worked under Tramway rules

Any must get back on topic

As shown here, taken on a visit in March 2008. All track was still in situ but inused for some years. Pity, as it would be useful for the Olympic Games. as the sailing is based in Weymouth.

Back to trams :)

Where's this one taken

Handsworth terminus, at the junction with Orgreave Lane. The chapel in the background is the chapel at Handsworth Cemetery on Orgreave Lane. Map 156 shows it very nicely, and I imagine a large arrow will appear on a section of the map quite soon!

Tram 325 was one of the cars purchased during the second world war from Bradford, regauged and fully enclosed before entering service in Sheffield.

Handsworth terminus, at the junction with Orgreave Lane. The chapel in the background is the chapel at Handsworth Cemetery on Orgreave Lane. Map 156 shows it very nicely, and I imagine a large arrow will appear on a section of the map quite soon!

Tram 325 was one of the cars purchased during the second world war from Bradford, regauged and fully enclosed before entering service in Sheffield.

There you go, never one to disappoint

My grandfather rode the trams (conductor) in the twenties and I think a bit earlier.. He was called Charles Frederick Drake. (known as Fred). He went blind suddenly c. age 57. He had been a valet to Duke of Connaught prior to return to Sheffield with Irish wife. Simply pipe dreaming that a photo or reminiscence will turn up. Cheers and 'any road up'

Francine X

Hi Francine

Wecome to the site i am sure many members will only be to willing to help you do you have a relation called Laurence,

Check this site it may help.

http://www.cyberpictures.net/sheffield/cyh.htm

Hi Francine

Wecome to the site i am sure many members will only be to willing to help you do you have a relation called Laurence,

Check this site it may help.

http://www.cyberpictures.net/sheffield/cyh.htm

Hi Francine and welcome to Sheffield History.

With a name like Charles Frederick Drake I would have thought his friends would have called him Charlie,

After Charlie Drake, the comedian lol

Just for a change, I thought I would post a few tram pictures. I am fairly sure of the location of most of them, just looking for confirmation (or otherwise).

So, picture number 1:

Just for a change, I thought I would post a few tram pictures. I am fairly sure of the location of most of them, just looking for confirmation (or otherwise).

So, picture number 1:

God this is hard, its usually my empty brain asking your full brain lol

My brain thought it knew this one but then changed its mind, the cottage rings a bell