Tram Locations

Stuart0742

Having just had a look on Google Street View, it should make a very interesting then and now.

Fantastic, I did not think anybody would get that one, back to the drawing board, see what I can come up with.

By the way I had no idea

Did we agree a location for this one of Steve's

Link back to post

Don't think we ever did - transit and myself made suggestions, but nothing was really decided. Having looked at it again, I can't really think of anything to add to my suggestion that we are looking away from town near the junction of Attercliffe Road with Royds Mill Street.

What about this one, should be straight forward

Handsworth Road looking away from the city, near the crossover at the bottom of Map 140, ie between the junction with Clifton Cresecent and where the Parkway now cuts across.

Even I can work out the next one

Beauchief tram terminus, at the junction of Abbeydale Road South and Abbey Lane. Fooled me for a bit, being taken looking the opposite way to most photos taken here. The tram is waiting to turn left into Abbey Lane.

Beauchief tram terminus, at the junction of Abbeydale Road South and Abbey Lane. Fooled me for a bit, being taken looking the opposite way to most photos taken here. The tram is waiting to turn left into Abbey Lane.

Yes it fooled me at 1st.

What does it say on the garage sign, can't decide myself

Guest binsted71

1920s, but should be easy. W/E.

Looks like Exchange Street looking toward the 'old' Town Hall/Law Courts. Norfolk Market Hall on the left and the building which preceded the Castle Market on the right.

Yes it fooled me at 1st.

What does it say on the garage sign, can't decide myself

Use of my low-tech magnifying glass shows that in view the upper line of letters is GAR, the lower is FUNERAL DIRECT, suggesting a combined service station and funeral directors!

Looks like Exchange Street looking toward the 'old' Town Hall/Law Courts. Norfolk Market Hall on the left and the building which preceded the Castle Market on the right.

A better quality version of this picture is on Picture Sheffield

Where is this location

Bridge Street, looking towards the Exchange Brewery from the West Bar end of the street (is this bit actually Coulston Street?). The photographer must be very close to the point at which the tracks diverge to West Bar and Snig Hill, as can be seen on Map 1

This one may be a little harder than the last

I think it is Eccelsall Rd looking towards the city centre, Summerfield St on your right and "The Star" cinema to the left

Map 273 Link

I think it is Eccelsall Rd looking towards the city centre, Summerfield Rd on your right and "The Star" cinema to the left

Map 273 Link

Makes sense to me, having been working on the basis that the awning on the left said Star on it. Is it not Summerfield Street on the right (to be a tiny bit fussy), and what is the building in the background.

Makes sense to me, having been working on the basis that the awning on the left said Star on it. Is it not Summerfield Street on the right (to be a tiny bit fussy), and what is the building in the background.

Yes Summerfield St, that was a Brain to finger malfunction.

The building in the Background, could it be the S & E Co-OP, not really sure

Yes Summerfield St, that was a Brain to finger malfunction.

The building in the Background, could it be the S & E Co-OP, not really sure

I think it is the S & E Co-OP

I see what you mean but:

There isn't room to get Summerfield St on the street sign and the awning looks like a tram stop to me.

Also there are a lot of chimneys on the buildings on the right hand side which don't seem to be on this Picture Sheffield photo.

FROM WILLIAM STREET

Just being devils advocate. :)

I see what you mean but:

There isn't room to get Summerfield St on the street sign and the awning looks like a tram stop to me.

Also there are a lot of chimneys on the buildings on the right hand side which don't seem to be on this Picture Sheffield photo.

FROM WILLIAM STREET

The street sign on the right is clearly long enough to fit Summerfield St on. What I describe as an awning (perhaps canopy would be a better word) looks like an awning (canopy) outside the cinema in this photo, to the right of the rear tram. It is also clearly further away fromt he camera in the original photo, the stop being marked by both the stop sign and the two white bands on the pole.

I see what you mean but:

FROM WILLIAM STREET

See this crop of the original

Definitely a cinema not a tram stop

As to the street sign, hard to make out but I think there is a "double MM" there

Same place isn't it? :)

Yes same photo, but you can clearly see its a cinema, it may even say "Star" in the ornate iron work :)