Tram Locations

Stuart0742

That looks right to me. My suggestion of the saw mills was based solely on the map and not personal experience (these buildings were gone before I was born) but I can't see what else that building could be.

Never seen any of those giant arrows in the Station area, either lol

Too much of gent to ask about madannies age I would appreciate a date on this picture.

The picture of Midland Station appears to be 1966 as the Claywood flats are being built by Gleesons up on the hill near the cholera monument

The picture of the tram is advertising Littlewoods. If that is Littlewoods the football pools company then the picture can only be 1960 as gambling on football pools was only made legal and became a popular form of gambling in that year (as far as I know, I never gamble on such things) and of course 1960 was also the year when the trams ended.

Is this a 1960 picture?

Too much of gent to ask about madannies age I would appreciate a date on this picture.

The picture of Midland Station appears to be 1966 as the Claywood flats are being built by Gleesons up on the hill near the cholera monument

The picture of the tram is advertising Littlewoods. If that is Littlewoods the football pools company then the picture can only be 1960 as gambling on football pools was only made legal and became a popular form of gambling in that year (as far as I know, I never gamble on such things) and of course 1960 was also the year when the trams ended.

Is this a 1960 picture?

I don't know the date of the photo, but Football Pools have been around since 1923

http://community.footballpools.com/heritage/short-history

The sawmill is still shown on O/S Map #4 dated 1954 so I think the nearest we will get is 1954

Unless anybody knows when the sawmill was demiolished

Is this a 1960 picture?

The Walkley tram route closed on 7th April 1956, so it is clearly taken before then.

According to The Football League 1888-1988 by Bryon Butler, football pools began just after the first world war and the first £300,000 winner was in 1959. Wikipedia states Littlewoods Pools were started in 1923 with others following not too long after. Apparently it was not regarded as gambling as there was an element of skill (!)

The Walkley tram route closed on 7th April 1956, so it is clearly taken before then.

According to The Football League 1888-1988 by Bryon Butler, football pools began just after the first world war and the first £300,000 winner was in 1959. Wikipedia states Littlewoods Pools were started in 1923 with others following not too long after. Apparently it was not regarded as gambling as there was an element of skill (!)

Thanks madannie, didn't know that, thought football pools came in under more recent (1960) gambling laws, but as I said I'm not a gambler.

I suppose by "an element of skill" they mean that you can follow the teams form and study their performance over a number of games to make your forcast.

A bit like you can "follow a horses form" for gambling on the horses.

But that may be where my confusion comes from on this matter, - were betting shops legalised in 1960?

Try this view,

I think the Pepsi sign is top left of the Pepsi roof display

I think its all down to the angle of the tobacconist to the station

Thanks madannie, didn't know that, thought football pools came in under more recent (1960) gambling laws, but as I said I'm not a gambler.

I suppose by "an element of skill" they mean that you can follow the teams form and study their performance over a number of games to make your forcast.

A bit like you can "follow a horses form" for gambling on the horses.

But that may be where my confusion comes from on this matter, - were betting shops legalised in 1960?

I hesitate to quote Wikipedia too often, as it is obviously not always error-free, but on there it states betting shops were legalised in 1961, so I assume this is what you were thinking of.

I stand corrected on my comment about the buildings being gone before I was born. If the overhead shot was taken in 1966, then the cafe was still around after I was born (but not by much) :rolleyes:

I hesitate to quote Wikipedia, as it is obviously not always error-free, but on there it states betting shops were legalised in 1961, so I assume this is what you were thinking of.

I stand corrected on my comment about the buildings being gone before I was born. If the overhead shot was taken in 1966, then the cafe was still around after I was born (but not by much) :rolleyes:

We did have a discussion about the aerial photo link to topic

The request is still open for an upto date photo

Fleetwood

Indeed. Bold Street in Fleetwood. Taken yesterday in pouring rain, and actually looking like this:

Today was the last ever day of traditional trams running through the streets in Fleetwood due to a massive renewal project. Over the weekend several tours were run using Blackpool trams, and for some reason, Sheffield 513 popped up when I was there! Big bonus for me. She is looking in fine fettle with gleaming paintwork and no adverts. Pity the last tram decorations are no longer there, but at least she is operational.

Here are 4 recent locations as Then & Nows

Added to main Tram Then and Now Topic

So are they going to be entered for consideration as suitable for the 2010 then & now calendar or the 2010 transport calendar.

They seem to be eligible for both.

So are they going to be entered for consideration as suitable for the 2010 then & now calendar or the 2010 transport calendar.

They seem to be eligible for both.

A lot of photo's will be eligible for both, but not chosen, that's the idea of doing 2 calendars

Although a large profile of a tram is a nice picture in it's self, I don't think it's very "then & now" unless it has some background.

1 and 4 being very good, 2 being not bad and 3 being a bit pointless as far as showing a comparison is concerned.

Just my opinion. :)

Although a large profile of a tram is a nice picture in it's self, I don't think it's very "then & now" unless it has some background.

1 and 4 being very good, 2 being not bad and 3 being a bit pointless as far as showing a comparison is concerned.

Just my opinion. :)

Point taken, however there was quite a bit of discussion as regard these photo's, a comparison closes off the discussion and demonstrates the viewpoint/location.

Like you say a "Then & Now" should illustrate how a location has changed whilst including some point of reference that has not changed, to compare. :)

Point taken, however there was quite a bit of discussion as regard these photo's, a comparison closes off the discussion and demonstrates the viewpoint/location.

Yes I can see the reason for that type. Completely legitimate in the context of their posts.

Fortunately for me you didn't misunderstand my use of the word pointless, in the context in which I used it.

On the surface it could have sounded a bit harsh.

I like that about this forum. People are polite, and topics don't degenerate into opinionated mayhem. (as can be witnessed on many other forums) :angry:

Lets continue

The road seems quite narrow

South Road, Walkley, with Highton Street on the right. Not much chance to park a car on South Road back then!

South Road, Walkley, with Highton Street on the right. Not much chance to park a car on South Road back then!

It looks a bit narrower than it actually is I think.

It's not got any wider over the years. Still the same.

(Although it's not very wide anyway) if you see what I mean. :huh:

It looks a bit narrower than it actually is I think.

It's not got any wider over the years. Still the same.

(Although it's not very wide anyway) if you see what I mean. :huh:

What amazes me about this section of South Road is how the tram tracks take up so much of the road. Tramway orthodoxy had it that tramlines were built in the centre of wide roads, but obviously it wasn't always the case as is clear here.

Looking on Multimap, I would say the road is wider now than then, but I don't see how it can be.

What amazes me about this section of South Road is how the tram tracks take up so much of the road. Tramway orthodoxy had it that tramlines were built in the centre of wide roads, but obviously it wasn't always the case as is clear here.

Looking on Multimap, I would say the road is wider now than then, but I don't see how it can be.

Poor old vox, he`s obviously not as old as he makes out to be [lucky ###]. The road between Greenhow Street and Highton Street was widened in the 50s. This involved taking away most of the frontage of the church and I think so much of the ajoining houses front gardens. W/E.

Poor old vox, he`s obviously not as old as he makes out to be [lucky ###]. The road between Greenhow Street and Highton Street was widened in the 50s. This involved taking away most of the frontage of the church and I think so much of the ajoining houses front gardens. W/E.

That will explain why it looks wider to me - it is :rolleyes: