Tram Locations

Stuart0742

ok, the bus is No.76 to Low Edges, so it must be coming through from Ecclesfield somewhere out that way, but where exactly?

Maybe the full photo from which I cropped the 76 bus will make it a bit clearer.

Maybe the full photo from which I cropped the 76 bus will make it a bit clearer.

Stubbin Lane.

Runner up again. Heavy breaths.

Cough wheeze :(

Stubbin Lane.

Runner up again. Heavy breaths.

Cough wheeze :(

Yes, but my photo is not taken from exactly the same place, as well as having a bus int he way! I think we still need a "now" shot from the correct spot on Stubbin Lane. Go for it, vox lol

I like that one Stuart,

it would make a good January on a Transport Calendar!

Yes very January looking, I am shivering looking at it

I like that one Stuart,

it would make a good January on a Transport Calendar!

Better hurry up and find out where it is then for a then & now.

Better hurry up and find out where it is then for a then & now.

I know exactly where it is vox,

thought we were also having a Transport Calendar?

;-)

Guest transit

I know exactly where it is vox,

thought we were also having a Transport Calendar?

;-)

....good idea - seconded - a transport calendar !!

Failing the Transport Calander here's the Calendar Transport. lol

Those are very large calendars so would need to have high resolution pictures on them to allow for the enlargement to that size.

Unfortunately those calendars are clearly marked in red "low resolution" lol

A cold winter scene here

but where is it ?

The old Leadmill Road Tram-sheds on the R/H side in this view,

on Stuart's photo the tram is blocking the view of the Norfolk Arms PH (aka 'Dodgers')

Image from Google SV

The old Leadmill Road Tram-sheds on the R/H side in this view,

on Stuart's photo the tram is blocking the view of the Norfolk Arms PH (aka 'Dodgers')

Image from Google SV

Well flaber my gast, I should have got that one :(

Well flaber my gast, I should have got that one :(

Flabber your gast :blink:

It made you shiver just looking at it :huh:

You only used to live just across the road from it :unsure:

You're not telling me you didn't know the answer to that one before you posted it <_<

Flabber your gast :blink:

It made you shiver just looking at it :huh:

You only used to live just across the road from it :unsure:

You're not telling me you didn't know the answer to that one before you posted it <_<

I was thinking of a different location, not the usual viewpoint for that location, excuse, excuse, excuse, hang my head in shame

Right after the embarrassment of the last 1 here is the next one

Sheaf Street, opposite the Midland Station. I am finding it hard to describe exactly where because it is all so different now, and it is just to the south of the bottom of Map 4. The tobacconist's and the pepsi-cola sign are on that area of land between Sheaf Street, Harmer Lane and Pond Street. I don't know what the building there now is. The sign visible through the lower deck of the tram says "Newsums" and has an arrow pointing off to the right. The tram is presumably on the Midland Station to Walkley service and is waiting for departure time back to Walkley.

Sheaf Street, opposite the Midland Station. I am finding it hard to describe exactly where because it is all so different now, and it is just to the south of the bottom of Map 4. The tobacconist's and the pepsi-cola sign are on that area of land between Sheaf Street, Harmer Lane and Pond Street. I don't know what the building there now is. The sign visible through the lower deck of the tram says "Newsums" and has an arrow pointing off to the right. The tram is presumably on the Midland Station to Walkley service and is waiting for departure time back to Walkley.

To add a bit more information in my attempt to explain the location, these two images in the Tramway Museum photo collection show the building behind the tram (Cosy Cafe) from a different angle, which hopefully put it into context with Midland Station

http://www.tramway.co.uk/smx/photos/photo/?id=1363

http://www.tramway.co.uk/smx/photos/photo/?id=9109

I think I get it

I can picture the tobacconist, see below

The only thing I can not get my head round is, the building in front of the tram,

The sign visible through the lower deck of the tram says "Newsums" and has an arrow pointing off to the right. The tram is presumably on the Midland Station to Walkley service and is waiting for departure time back to Walkley.

Wow! how on earth did you work NEWSUMS out from what's there?? :o

I spent 20mins on that bit and got a possible W?$%OMS lol

Wow! how on earth did you work NEWSUMS out from what's there?? :o

I spent 20mins on that bit and got a possible W?$%OMS lol

A bit of putting two and two together and making five :rolleyes:

Having decided that it was Sheaf Street I wanted to find a picture to illustrate my thinking. One of the pictures searching for Sheaf Street throws up is one of Newsums on the corner of Sheaf Street and Harmer Lane. I therefore decided that the sign behind the tram said Newsums.

Like Stuart0742, I am puzzled by the building to the right of the tram, though. Towards the end of the trams, this area became a car park, as seen in Stuart's overhead shot. Map 4 suggests it might be part of the Albion Saw Mills, but I can add nothing more.

A bit of putting two and two together and making five :rolleyes:

Having decided that it was Sheaf Street I wanted to find a picture to illustrate my thinking. One of the pictures searching for Sheaf Street throws up is one of Newsums on the corner of Sheaf Street and Harmer Lane. I therefore decided that the sign behind the tram said Newsums.

Like Stuart0742, I am puzzled by the building to the right of the tram, though. Towards the end of the trams, this area became a car park, as seen in Stuart's overhead shot. Map 4 suggests it might be part of the Albion Saw Mills, but I can add nothing more.

If the building to the right of the tram are the old saw mills, the photo must have been taken from opposite the from of the station

If the building to the right of the tram are the old saw mills, the photo must have been taken from opposite the from of the station

That looks right to me. My suggestion of the saw mills was based solely on the map and not personal experience (these buildings were gone before I was born) but I can't see what else that building could be.

Never seen any of those giant arrows in the Station area, either lol