Tram Locations

Stuart0742

Well I don't think it's Staniforth Road,

it's Chesterfield Rd.

two images from Google SV

This would explain why I couldn't make it look like anywhere on Staniforth Road. Then again, I couldn't see anywhere on any tram route which looked the same either, including Chesterfield Road :o

Makes sense to me now, having studied the present day images and appropriate map (no 265).

EDIT:

Steve HB obviously posted the map whilst I was typing the message above, so the link I added is superfluous and has been removed.

I dont't know where this tram shot was taken?

My suggestion is Attercliffe Road near Washford Bridge, on the basis of the tram's destination and of the Effingham Steel Works buildings in the background.

I think it is at the junction with Royds Mill Street, but the relative position of the steel works seems a bit wrong when compared to the relevant maps (68 and 87)

The alternative is that the tram is nearer to Washford Bridge, with the Effingham Steel Works other building in the background, but the two buildings on the left don't appear on the maps in the right place.

Guest transit

My suggestion is Attercliffe Road near Washford Bridge, on the basis of the tram's destination and of the Effingham Steel Works buildings in the background.

I think it is at the junction with Royds Mill Street, but the relative position of the steel works seems a bit wrong when compared to the relevant maps (68 and 87)

The alternative is that the tram is nearer to Washford Bridge, with the Effingham Steel Works other building in the background, but the two buildings on the left don't appear on the maps in the right place.

...the "cafe" looks like what became the Washford Fisheries chip shop through 80's- 90's - now a double glazing showroom . The tram is blocking the view of "Salmon Pastures" and is approaching Norfolk Bridge (about 400yds0on its way towards the Wicker/ Town. ????

...the "cafe" looks like what became the Washford Fisheries chip shop through 80's- 90's - now a double glazing showroom . The tram is blocking the view of "Salmon Pastures" and is approaching Norfolk Bridge (about 400yds0on its way towards the Wicker/ Town. ????

According to the Pubs section of the forum, the Washford Chip shop was formerly the Washford Arms which was a public house until 1970, so the cafe on the left can't be the chip shop.

In addition, the shadows indicate the sun is behind the photographer. If the tram is heading towards Town it would indicate the sun in the north-east, i.e. very early in the morning. If the tram is heading away from town the sun will be in the south-west (i.e. afternoon), which (at the risk of making assumptions) is more likely for the majority of people getting on the tram, and possibly for the typical tramcar photographer.

Looking at the maps and aerial photos in Picture Sheffield, I can't see any large steel works in the Salmon Pastures area, whereas the maps suggest several on the north side of Attercliffe Road, including the two shown as Effingham Steel Works. Could the two properties on the left be 207 and 209 Attercliffe Road (with the shadow of 203 being cast on the side wall)?

Given this, and again making an assumption that the tram destination is correct, I still think we are looking away from town on Attercliffe Road.

May be the "skate" was under the trolly bus out of reach and therefore much safer. The idea of it being towed behind does not bear thinging about.

Not sure how the vehicle could have stoped at the side of the road but if it was just for a demonstration may be that did not matter.

Further information re the Trolley bus demonstration in Sheffield.

They used one of the new Rotherham trolley buses, it was in 1917 and was from the Shoreham Street Depot. The trolley bus had an attachment to the front axle steering the bus along the tramway using one trolley for the power and the wheels on the tram way for the "earth" connection.

So no trailing skate and no danger. Unless the wheels came off the rails.

I do wonder what would have happened if the wrong trolley was connected to the live cable.

jiginctrolley

Guest bus man

Looks like the top of Parkside Road again, this time looking across to the bottom of Wadsley Lane. Also note that the tram is 189, one of the surviving trams at Crich Tramway Museum.

Its on one of the tours

Its on one of the tours

I had a feeling it was a tour, with it being right at the very end of Parkside Road. I suspect it was the tour of 30th March 1958, when tram 189 covered some fifty miles, almost the last work the car had before withdrawal and presentation to the Tramway Museum Society.

Time for a new location, should be easy

I think this one is at the junction of Neepsend Lane and Mowbray Street, with the Norfolk Hotel on the right and the site of St Michaels and All Angels on the left, the tram heading out of the city.

I think this one is at the junction of Neepsend Lane and Mowbray Street, with the Norfolk Hotel on the right and the site of St Michaels and All Angels on the left, the tram heading out of the city.

What's the new modern looking building to the left of the tram?

You say was. is it not there now?

Opened 1957 ish, owned by Shell. First and possibly the only tenant was Samuel Higgins and later his sons, motor engineers, general repairs and servicing. Filling station closed in the 80 s then became a used tyre shop, then became derelict. Not been down there for years so no idea when it was demolished. In Greece Shell service stations identical to the 1957 Burton Road premises still operate, attendant service and all. W/E.,

Certainly isn't.

This belongs on then and now as well I suppose.

Great minds think a like, 1 then 2 now's, both nows taken this lunchtime but who got there 1st lol

Is that your white van VOX?

There you go a bit of slightly off topic detective work :)

Great minds think a like, 1 then 2 now's, both nows taken this lunchtime but who got there 1st lol

Don`t tell Richard B, but Belinda Bedford might still be hanging around on that right hand corner. W/E.

It shure is. Well spotted.

I went there via Rutland Rd where I saw (I now know it was you) taking photos from the bridge. Of Obourn's I guess.

So the answer depends on whether you took this photo before or after Osbourns. :)

It shure is. Well spotted.

I went there via Rutland Rd where I saw (I now know it was you) taking photos from the bridge. Of Obourn's I guess.

So the answer depends on whether you took this photo before or after Osbourns. :)

OK I get the prize for being 1st then as I had already taken my photo before I got to Rutland Rd bridge :)

OK I get the prize for being 1st then as I had already taken my photo before I got to Rutland Rd bridge :)

Where is this and who can be the 1st to take a modern day photo from the same location

Where is this and who can be the 1st to take a modern day photo from the same location

I'm fairly certain of the location, but I don't think I'm going to make the journey just for a photograph just at the moment. I do have a picture from late last year, but it is not quite the same angle as I wasn't as side on as the original, unfortunately.

As a slight digression, the tram is one of 14 trams which Sheffield bought from Newcastle Corporation in 1941 to ease the pressure of passenger numbers in the war.

I'm fairly certain of the location, but I don't think I'm going to make the journey just for a photograph just at the moment. I do have a picture from late last year, but it is not quite the same angle as I wasn't as side on as the original, unfortunately.

As a slight digression, the tram is one of 14 trams which Sheffield bought from Newcastle Corporation in 1941 to ease the pressure of passenger numbers in the war.

ok, the bus is No.76 to Low Edges, so it must be coming through from Ecclesfield somewhere out that way, but where exactly?