Tram Locations

Stuart0742

Is this easy, not quite sure my self

Looks like the top of Parkside Road again, this time looking across to the bottom of Wadsley Lane. Also note that the tram is 189, one of the surviving trams at Crich Tramway Museum.

Looks like the top of Parkside Road again, this time looking across to the bottom of Wadsley Lane. Also note that the tram is 189, one of the surviving trams at Crich Tramway Museum.

mmm I see that now,

This is an old one

This one appears on page 87 of Chas C Hall's book Sheffield Transport, where it is described as the original Darnall terminus, listed as Main Road, but I am not sure exactly where on Main Road this was, except it was the continuation of Staniforth Road and not the bit which ran off to the north.

The tram is carrying the route letter C, indicating Crookes, so if this is set correctly the tram is heading towards the City. The route letter also dates the photo to later than January 1903 when the through Darnall to Crookes service was started. The tram in the picture has a top cover fitted no later than 1905, which narrows down the date quite precisely.

A bit of digging around and trying to get some kind of comfirmatory shot of the exact location reveals this!

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s19697%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOURhcm5hbGxfVHJhbV9UZXJtaW51cyUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaA==

which says it is Staniforth Road, Darnall. If it is Staniforth Road, it must be at or very close to the junciton with MAin Road.

A bit of digging around and trying to get some kind of comfirmatory shot of the exact location reveals this!

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s19697

which says it is Staniforth Road, Darnall. If it is Staniforth Road, it must be at or very close to the junciton with MAin Road.

So we are looking back along Staniforth Rd towards Main Rd ?? with Main Rd going off to the left.

So we are looking back along Staniforth Rd towards Main Rd ?? with Main Rd going off to the left.

After a good rest, it now makes sense to me (and should have last night, really). It is Staniforth Road, looking towards the junction with Main Road, as is clear from the Picture Sheffield caption and a comparison with Map 123.

The tram is at the terminus, beyond the crossover, with the destination letter set for the journey back to the city and Crookes (towards the photographer's position) which will begin by using the crossover onto the correct track.

Moral - never try to identify old photo locations after a long and tiring day :)

After a good rest, it now makes sense to me (and should have last night, really). It is Staniforth Road, looking towards the junction with Main Road, as is clear from the Picture Sheffield caption and a comparison with Map 123.

The tram is at the terminus, beyond the crossover, with the destination letter set for the journey back to the city and Crookes (towards the photographer's position) which will begin by using the crossover onto the correct track.

Moral - never try to identify old photo locations after a long and tiring day :)

Looks like it's taken roughly where the pork shop is and where the bank is on the opposite side, maybe just about level to where the footbridge goes over the railway.

Looks like it's taken roughly where the pork shop is and where the bank is on the opposite side, maybe just about level to where the footbridge goes over the railway.

I am not that familiar with the Darnall area, so I am not sure where the pork shop and railway footbridge are. It could be exactly where I am describing. I have based my assessment of the location on the following.

Comparing the photo with various views from Google Earth and Multimap, the photographer must have been somewhere near the junction of Staniforth Road and Studley Road (now Studley Court). The wider view in the Picture Sheffield version clearly shows an odd shaped building (no 642) on the junction of Staniforth Road and Kirby Road (now Kirby Close) which is still there, as are the properties behind it along Staniforth Road on the RHS. Similarly the building on the left (no 689), on the corner of Staniforth Road and Irving Road is still standing but is no longer a bank.

Is this looking along West Bar towards the top of Corporation St?

I don't think it is - the buildings on the junction of West Bar/Corporation Street are higher than the one in the background. Not that I have a clue where it is!

Only things I can see are the tram destination being Millhouses, and the building in the background. If the tram is on a regular service, it is somwehere between Tinsley and Millhouses - a lot of terraced housing to choose from on that route!

I don't think it is - the buildings on the junction of West Bar/Corporation Street are higher than the one in the background. Not that I have a clue where it is!

Only things I can see are the tram destination being Millhouses, and the building in the background. If the tram is on a regular service, it is somwehere between Tinsley and Millhouses - a lot of terraced housing to choose from on that route!

Unless, anybody knows this location, the only real clue is the building in the left background and the fact the tram is travelling to Millhouses, which would suggest the location is Attercliffe area

Probably was just to Templeborough then.

Seem to remember it was the "skate" they used for the return. Must have been interesting if this ever derailed as it would leave the skate connected directly to the overhead live, and at ground level where it could come into contact with things / people, although I suppose it could easily be isolated just by the driver switching off current to the motor.

May be the "skate" was under the trolly bus out of reach and therefore much safer. The idea of it being towed behind does not bear thinging about.

Not sure how the vehicle could have stoped at the side of the road but if it was just for a demonstration may be that did not matter.

May be the "skate" was under the trolly bus out of reach and therefore much safer. The idea of it being towed behind does not bear thinging about.

Not sure how the vehicle could have stoped at the side of the road but if it was just for a demonstration may be that did not matter.

I'm sure the skate was towed behind and not under the bus.

If it was under it would effectively tie the bus to the rail and it would essentially be just another tram and would lose the advantage of a trolley bus of a small amount of fredom of movement (the "play" in the trolley, and in this case the "play" in the skate) to do intricate turns and manoevers.

I'm sure the skate was towed behind and not under the bus.

If it was under it would effectively tie the bus to the rail and it would essentially be just another tram and would lose the advantage of a trolley bus of a small amount of fredom of movement (the "play" in the trolley, and in this case the "play" in the skate) to do intricate turns and manoevers.

Every description I have seen about the use of skates has described them as having been trailed behind the vehicle. I still can't find any photos from this country,, but a couple of photos from overseas can be seen here:

Groningen

Perth In this one, the skate is used to allow the trolleybus to make a left hand turn, but the skate appears to have gone straight on!

In this one, the skate is used to allow the trolleybus to make a left hand turn, but the skate appears to have gone straight on!

Which increases the risk of the skate becoming derailed and the resultant problem of the bus itself still being connected to the live overhead and insulated by its own tyres from the road!

Guest binsted71

Here's another easy one,

must admit that I'm not 100% sure of the answer.

This looks like the corner of Fox Hill Road and Halifax Road. The former brickworks on the right is now the Kilner Way Retail Park. <_<

Here you go a bit more modern

This seems to be causing problems, so whilst you are thinking here is a simpler one, my 1st thought was Abbeydale Rd, but not sure now

Here's another easy one,

must admit that I'm not 100% sure of the answer.

Another one for the red phone box challenge then, but I think Steve has been cheating.

"Have a Park Drive" Steve (see old advert in the picture)

Not that I am a smoker (and Steve probably isn't either) but I seem to remember they were very popular cheap cigarettes in the days before the dangers of smoking were fully appreciated. I think they didn't even have a filter :o if I can remember rightly as my dad used to smoke them at one time.

They seemed to be so popular at one time that when handing them around instead of saying the more usual "Have a fag" it was "Have a Park Drive", - hence my comment above.

This seems to be causing problems, so whilst you are thinking here is a simpler one, my 1st thought was Abbeydale Rd, but not sure now

Staniforth Road looking towards Darnall.

JIGINC

I am stumped by this one as well, as is obvious by my lack of posts on this thread recently. A Sheffield born work colleague of my partner is sure it is Staniforth Road, but is not certain of the exact location.

I am stumped by this one as well, as is obvious by my lack of posts on this thread recently. A Sheffield born work colleague of my partner is sure it is Staniforth Road, but is not certain of the exact location.

Well I don't think it's Staniforth Road,

it's Chesterfield Rd.

two images from Google SV