Tram Locations

Stuart0742

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

This shot has me confused at the moment, it will become obvious,

Terminus? Brightside area? its the 2 railway bridges I can't place

Brightside tram terminus. When I was a lad, that tram shed (on the right) was lit up at night and me and a lad called Billy Whittingham used to play "floodlit" football in there!

Brightside tram terminus. When I was a lad, that tram shed (on the right) was lit up at night and me and a lad called Billy Whittingham used to play "floodlit" football in there!

Thought it must be, exactly where was Brightside Terminus, still can't place those 2 railway bridges

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Thought it must be, exactly where was Brightside Terminus, still can't place those 2 railway bridges

You go straight down Brightside Lane to the very bottom, and it bends to left (that's where the terminus was). On your right as you turned used to be the old Jessop works (it has all changed now). Then, after you have turned, the first road on your right is Weedon Street (if you go on there, you go over a bridge, and it bends and takes you to Tinsley).

I haven't been down there for a very long time, but I am sure there was always two railway bridges over the top of the road, as on the pix. I am not sure if they are both still there, but I suspect they might be.

Anyway, it is definitely Brightside terminus.

You go straight down Brightside Lane to the very bottom, and it bends to left (that's where the terminus was). On your right as you turned used to be the old Jessop works (it has all changed now). Then, after you have turned, the first road on your right is Weedon Street (if you go on there, you go over a bridge, and it bends and takes you to Tinsley).

I haven't been down there for a very long time, but I am sure there was always two railway bridges over the top of the road, as on the pix. I am not sure if they are both still there, but I suspect they might be.

Anyway, it is definitely Brightside terminus.

Thanks OCSK, sorted it in my mind now, the 1st railway bridge has long gone

Guest Gramps

This shot has me confused at the moment, it will become obvious,

Terminus? Brightside area? its the 2 railway bridges I can't place

That must be a pretty unique photo. The first bridge carried the railway incline down into Jessops steel works and all I've ever been able to find is this old print on Picture Sheffield

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/s09755.jpg

Just before this bridge are the monumental gates into Jessops, which I think have a preservation order on them.

That must be a pretty unique photo. The first bridge carried the railway incline down into Jessops steel works and all I've ever been able to find is this old print on Picture Sheffield

Just before this bridge are the monumental gates into Jessops, which I think have a preservation order on them.

This is just the 1st of a batch of photos bought off Ebay.

It was that 1st bridge that was confusing me, when was it demolished.

Guest Gramps

This is just the 1st of a batch of photos bought off Ebay.

It was that 1st bridge that was confusing me, when was it demolished.

That's 'beyond my ken' I'm afraid. There seems not to be a 1950s map to cover the bridge, but map 170 shows a line still entering the works at that point.

Jessops also had access to the rail network via a low-level line that crossed Weedon street on the bend below the bridge. See map 175.

Hope to see more of that batch of photos.

Definitely Angel Street. Used to go there in my youth with my mother for Irish Linen chairbacks and armcovers and cheval sets. Still have some that were bought over 50 years ago.

That's 'beyond my ken' I'm afraid. There seems not to be a 1950s map to cover the bridge, but map 170 shows a line still entering the works at that point.

Jessops also had access to the rail network via a low-level line that crossed Weedon street on the bend below the bridge. See map 175.

Hope to see more of that batch of photos.

After risking life and limb, something that a photographer of the 1950's did not have to do, I have taken this comparison shot today.

To be fair I should have stood in the middle of the road about where the red colured marking finishes, however the traffic was a lot busier than it looks in this photo.

Just to the left of the traffic light the abutments of the railway bridge can still be seen. The only other point of reference is the far railway bridge.

After risking life and limb, something that a photographer of the 1950's did not have to do, I have taken this comparison shot today.

To be fair I should have stood in the middle of the road about where the red colured marking finishes, however the traffic was a lot busier than it looks in this photo.

Just to the left of the traffic light the abutments of the railway bridge can still be seen. The only other point of reference is the far railway bridge.

This shot is quite old, looks like a busy location, but where?

The evidence (Clues)

1 Lefthand tram is goint to Hunters Bar

2 Middle tram 219 is going to Walkley (This tram was withdrawn in 1930)

3 Righthand tram is also goint to Walkley (I think)

There is a photo taken from a very similar position, clearly showing both bridges, on page 23 of Sheffield Corporation Tramways by Kenneth Gandy. This is th only other photo of this tram terminus I have seen.

Found a few more untitled Tram photos

Where is this?

Looks to me like the terminus at Fulwood, which was in Canterbury Avenue. The tram is clearly on single track and to one side of the road, which agrees with the maps I have of the system. Apart from termainal layouts, the only sections of single track were in rather less rural areas of the city. I have not been able to find any other photographs anywhere of this terminus, however.

The evidence (Clues)

Could it be Glossop Road Junction ?

The evidence (Clues)

This one had me baffled for some time. As the Walkley tram is a double-decker it must be after 1918. With the regular service pattern at this time I can think of no location where a Hunters Bar tram is heading in the opposite direction to a Walkley tram. There were many rush hour extras from both the East End and the City Centre which took unusual routes, however.

The track layout had me puzzled as well. What appears to be a simple triangular junction (of which there were several in the City) is complicated by the presence on the right of the picture of another set of points. The only place where such a layout existed (according to my maps) is at Tinsley Tram Depot, the points on the right leading into Tinsley Depot. (it is not actually a triangular junction at all)

I am fairly certain that this picture is at the junction of Sheffield Road and Weedon Street, with the Commercial Hotel behind the Walkley bound tram 219 (a picture in www.picturesheffield.com seems to confirm this - search for Weedon Street.

Clearly the line of trams is catering for the works extras, the Hunter's Bar tram turning into Weedon Street to take it's place at the back of the queue, it's destination bllind already set for it's next trip. The tram on the right is on the single linking line from the entrance to Tinsley depot onto Weedon Street.

This one had me baffled for some time. As the Walkley tram is a double-decker it must be after 1918. With the regular service pattern at this time I can think of no location where a Hunters Bar tram is heading in the opposite direction to a Walkley tram. There were many rush hour extras from both the East End and the City Centre which took unusual routes, however.

The track layout had me puzzled as well. What appears to be a simple triangular junction (of which there were several in the City) is complicated by the presence on the right of the picture of another set of points. The only place where such a layout existed (according to my maps) is at Tinsley Tram Depot, the points on the right leading into Tinsley Depot. (it is not actually a triangular junction at all)

I am fairly certain that this picture is at the junction of Sheffield Road and Weedon Street, with the Commercial Hotel behind the Walkley bound tram 219 (a picture in www.picturesheffield.com seems to confirm this - search for Weedon Street.

Clearly the line of trams is catering for the works extras, the Hunter's Bar tram turning into Weedon Street to take it's place at the back of the queue, it's destination bllind already set for it's next trip. The tram on the right is on the single linking line from the entrance to Tinsley depot onto Weedon Street.

Brilliant deduction Holmes, I can see it now, I was not thinking of that side of the city.

Tram 492 Cravens. New 1927, Withdrawn 1952. W/E.

What's the wall left foreground?

The wall is part of the rather hefty looking stone built tram shelter in Fitzalan Square. I am not sure when it was built and removed, or if the stone was ever cleaned! A best current guess is it was built just after WW1 and removed about the same time as the trams were abandoned.

There is a picture of it looking quite clean on Picture Sheffield and another one, a bit grimier, here

The wall is part of the rather hefty looking stone built tram shelter in Fitzalan Square. I am not sure when it was built and removed, or if the stone was ever cleaned! A bset cyurrent guess is it was built just after WW1 and removed about the same time as the trams were abandoned.

There is a picture of it looking quite clean on Picture Sheffield and another one, a bit grimier, here

And here is a better photo ... :)