Tram Locations

Stuart0742

The Ultimate Answer

According to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

"Some time ago a group of hyper-intelligent pan dimensional beings decided to finally answer the great question of Life, The Universe and Everything. To this end they built an incredibly powerful computer, Deep Thought. After the great computer programme had run (a very quick seven and a half million years) the answer was announced.

The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42

Which suggests that what you really need to know is 'What was the Question?'".

Is it just a coincidence that the leading tram in the both photographs is number 42 and that you know the great question of Life, The Universe and Everything?

I'm going with Neddy....I think its Barnsley Road.....took from the cross roads near of Hatfield House Lane/ Barnslet Road and Elm Lane.

The photographer looks like he was stood on the corner of Elm Lane with his back to what is now the Netto. I think it was a Esso filling station back then.

The trams would have been near the end of their journey having just come up from Stubbin Lane they would go to the end of the line just over the cross roads at Lane top.

I'm going with Neddy....I think its Barnsley Road.....took from the cross roads near of Hatfield House Lane/ Barnslet Road and Elm Lane.

The photographer looks like he was stood on the corner of Elm Lane with his back to what is now the Netto. I think it was a Esso filling station back then.

The trams would have been near the end of their journey having just come up from Stubbin Lane they would go to the end of the line just over the cross roads at Lane top.

Right so they are coming up Barnsley Rd towards Lane Top, not my side of the city.

Dickdioxide's answer is excellent, anybody with out the knowledge will be confused. lol

The Ultimate Answer

According to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

"Some time ago a group of hyper-intelligent pan dimensional beings decided to finally answer the great question of Life, The Universe and Everything. To this end they built an incredibly powerful computer, Deep Thought. After the great computer programme had run (a very quick seven and a half million years) the answer was announced.

The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42

Which suggests that what you really need to know is 'What was the Question?'".

Is it just a coincidence that the leading tram in the both photographs is number 42 and that you know the great question of Life, The Universe and Everything?

There is something in the number 42, here it is again, this time, Is the location Halifax Rd?

Barnsley Road ?

Did the trams really run up Barnsley Rd? I seem remember them as going up past Firth Park? Could be wrong but that will be due to a wonky memory.

Previous picture of No.42 is Parkside Rd with the Wednesday Ground on the left

The filling station was called Credlands opposite the Pheasant Inn.

There is something in the number 42, here it is again, this time, Is the location Halifax Rd?

Looks like Catch Bar Lane, next to Parkside Road School (which I attended).

Is that the football ground to the left of the trams?

Guest plain talker

I'm inclined to agree that it's somewhere near Hillsboro football ground, (I'm thinking Leppings lane perhaps?) because of the Shirecliffe "skyline" in the background. (My cousin lived on Penrith Road, backing onto the tip)

Edit to add (although on a second look, the very right of the pic does look suspiciously like the wall of Hillsboro Park)

Guest transit

...Middlewood Rd - the bottom bit as it just branches off Penistone Rd. ,sandwiched between Hillsboro Park on the right and the Football ground on the left. Could be football specials. In the background, would just about see the ski village on the hills nowadays! :o

Barnsley Road ?

Spot on with that one. Hjdary is correct in his location too. Tsavo the trams came up Stubbin lane then turned up on to Barnsley road (see picture below) to head up to Shefiled Lane Top.

Seem to be some differences, looking at a OS map I would go with Parkside Rd. Looking down towards the bend, with the park on the right

I'm inclined to agree that it's somewhere near Hillsboro football ground, (I'm thinking Leppings lane perhaps?) because of the Shirecliffe "skyline" in the background. (My cousin lived on Penrith Road, backing onto the tip)

Edit to add (although on a second look, the very right of the pic does look suspiciously like the wall of Hillsboro Park)

The wall is part of the School, a covered shed, quite long, there were double-sized wooden gates their as well, and a locked iron gate-type-doorway-effort. A little further back from the photo on the interior of the wall there were a set of painted cricket stumps. There is no part of the Park showing, though it is lurking nearby :rolleyes:

Seem to be some differences, looking at a OS map I would go with Parkside Rd. Looking down towards the bend, with the park on the right

Still Catch Bar Lane, the "Sheds" I mentioned are against the word Lane. Footie ground on the left, School Wall on the right; no view of Hillsborough Park. Trust me, I used to be a Belgian Whelk Smuggler, or I whet to that School.

Still Catch Bar Lane, the "Sheds" I mentioned are against the word Lane. Footie ground on the left, School Wall on the right; no view of Hillsborough Park. Trust me, I used to be a Belgian Whelk Smuggler, or I whet to that School.

The most convincing answer is from Richard, my old grand-mother told me that Belgian Whelk Smugglers do not lie :)

The most convincing answer is from Richard, my old grand-mother told me that Belgian Whelk Smugglers do not lie :)

Iron gate I mentioned is by the first letter "a" of Catch Bar. The big shed next to that part demolished by late 1960's, cricket wicket painted on the interior wall.

Large wooden gates marked by the arrow symbol (bus/tram stop to one side or the other of the gates).

Sheds against the word "Lane" and further down Catch Bar existed/may still exist.

"L" shaped building was a single storey pre-fab by 1970.

Building 104 was Administration and assisted learning.

Basically you started in the "H" shaped building next to building 104 and as you aged progressed down the buildings on Parkside Road.

Building "up" on the map from 104 was a single storey canteen.

Iron gate I mentioned is by the first letter "a" of Catch Bar. The big shed next to that part demolished by late 1960's, cricket wicket painted on the interior wall.

Large wooden gates marked by the arrow symbol (bus/tram stop to one side or the other of the gates).

Sheds against the word "Lane" and further down Catch Bar existed/may still exist.

"L" shaped building was a single storey pre-fab by 1970.

Building 104 was Administration and assisted learning.

Basically you started in the "H" shaped building next to building 104 and as you aged progressed down the buildings on Parkside Road.

Building "up" on the map from 104 was a single storey canteen.

Thanks for all the replies, I know have locations for my photo's, may use as then and nows later.

Purely a guess, Stuart, but looking at all the trees, Nether Green?

Yes I can see that, also this one is with it in the pile

This shot has me confused at the moment, it will become obvious,

Terminus? Brightside area? its the 2 railway bridges I can't place