Tram Locations

Stuart0742

Oh yes I recognise the location now, looking back towards town.

How far did the trams go up Halifax Road or is that the terminus

Not quite old enough to remember the trams, so I'm not exactly sure where the terminus was but I believe it was just about where the Lidl is now.

I've found this grainy shot of a tram leaving the terminus with Gallaghers in the background (for those who don't know the area Lidl was built on the factory site).

jmdee ..... theres some great shots of Hillfoot Bridge and the football specials I will find them out.

Right girls and boys...heres your next one...

Now that is a real puzzler. Only place I can think of is the terminus on the Ecclesall route above Banner Cross. Ecclesall Library would be on the left of the picture in the background.

Now that is a real puzzler. Only place I can think of is the terminus on the Ecclesall route above Banner Cross. Ecclesall Library would be on the left of the picture in the background.

To be honest, I'm not 100 % myself on this one but that was my guess.

Looking at the track layout, and the overhead (theres a trolleypole reverser there) it has to be a terminus.

So thinking logically it isnt Hillsborugh, Hallifax road, Lane Top, Brightside, Weedon st, Handsworth, Intake, Meadowhead or Fullwood so the only two left where Petre street (abandoned in the 1930's I think) or Ecclesall Road.

Ecclesall Road, was I think one of the first routes to go in the general abandonment scheme.

I was Showing these images to a friend at work today and he was telling me he once got his bike wheel stuck in the track at the Upwell Street bridge and had to carry on to the junction to get it free!

To be honest, I'm not 100 % myself on this one but that was my guess.

Looking at the track layout, and the overhead (theres a trolleypole reverser there) it has to be a terminus.

So thinking logically it isnt Hillsborugh, Hallifax road, Lane Top, Brightside, Weedon st, Handsworth, Intake, Meadowhead or Fullwood so the only two left where Petre street (abandoned in the 1930's I think) or Ecclesall Road.

Ecclesall Road, was I think one of the first routes to go in the general abandonment scheme.

Am 99% certain it's Ecclesall, but would be happy to be corrected.

No need to be corrected tsavo .... I'll add the last 1%

Ecclesall Terminus

The traffic disappearing to the left is going up Knowle Lane where the old library used to be.

Im origonally from Handsworth, any images from that area or tram pictures. Here are two of my mate Mick Ricks tram paintings.

Handsworth

Banners

Sue

Is that snow on the ground ??

Hi syrup, the original post card is poor quality and looking at both images I would say no it's not snow.

Also there is no snow on the pub roof or the adjacent roofs, and if you look at the trees they appear to be in full leaf.

I would say that the photo was taken in the summer perhaps, have you noticed the pole leaning against the cable post on the left of the picture, Is that used for changing the trams electrical things over?

Sorry but my knowledge of the trams is very limited.

Thanks hjdary and SteveHB, the first ones I think I have seen before but the third one is looking from a different angle than I have seen in any books or photos. I lived down Finchwell Rd where all the photos are at the top of, thank you. :)

Sue

I hope Charlie isnt too chilly in this frosty weather, I have to go in the car a few days lately as two wheels on ice is a recipe for disaster as a work collegue found out Thursday as she and hubby came off on an icy corner. Followed by a check up in A&E.

Hi syrup, the original post card is poor quality and looking at both images I would say no it's not snow.

Also there is no snow on the pub roof or the adjacent roofs, and if you look at the trees they appear to be in full leaf.

I would say that the photo was taken in the summer perhaps, have you noticed the pole leaning against the cable post on the left of the picture, Is that used for changing the trams electrical things over?

Sorry but my knowledge of the trams is very limited.

Hi SteveHB Yes i spotted the pole thingy, Are you sure it's not snow on the ground as there seem to be footprints going towards the group in the centre of the photo and the trees could be evergreens and no snow on the roofs due to poor insulation. But then again the children seem to be in their Sunday best the men in shirt sleeves could it be dust on the photo??

Hi SteveHB Yes i spotted the pole thingy, Are you sure it's not snow on the ground as there seem to be footprints going towards the group in the centre of the photo and the trees could be evergreens and no snow on the roofs due to poor insulation. But then again the children seem to be in their Sunday best the men in shirt sleeves could it be dust on the photo??

Hi syrup Yes I can see what you mean about the footprints, so think it would be best that I put the original untouched photo up, for yourself and others to view.

Steve. :-)

We were looking at these images this morning and the thing that stuck out was the how much the road layout has changed....the gardens of the houses stick way out in to the road .

Its a common thing in older shots of Sheffield I think. There are tons of images out there where the road has being re aligned and in some cases it prevents the modern viewer working out to where the shot was took.

Have a look at shots of Darnal...the Prince Of Wales Road now comes down and runs straight into Greenland Road but it used to turn left into Staniforth Road......or what about the road coming down from Walkey...it used to turn right at the Star and Garter but it now comes straight down to the Brook Hill round about.

ooh ooh ...and then there is Penistone Rd....how much has that changed..and moved position.

If we carry on moving roads and Junctions like this I predict that in years to come Penistone road will be somewhere near Stairfoot Roundabout in Barnsley!!

Guest mega_monty

Is that snow on the ground ??

It's not snow on the ground for a few resons, looking at the picture there's leaves on the trees for a start not a norm for winter months and looking at the dress of the people they dont look like they're dressed in their winter woolies.

Its most likely to be mud on the road as Handsworth Road or Main Road as it was called was nothing but a dirt track, see this attached picture taken further up the road.

It's not snow on the ground for a few resons, looking at the picture there's leaves on the trees for a start not a norm for winter months and looking at the dress of the people they dont look like they're dressed in their winter woolies.

Its most likely to be mud on the road as Handsworth Road or Main Road as it was called was nothing but a dirt track, see this attached picture taken further up the road.

Does anybody know what the single storey building is the left of the photo, a very ornate roof

I've just driven past there tonight...the house in the shot is still there and this led to a bit of a surprise..I thought the terminus was on the main road where the buses stop now but looking at the position of the house the old tram terminus must have been on the road that runs off the main road I think it is Silverdale road.

Guest bus man

I think the photo is on a tour as the tram is turning right to go up meadowhead, this was only used for school journeys to and from abbey lane