Jessop Hospital

mickjj

Guest cheekymonkey

Wasn't "Dove of Peace" first sketched during a meal at Butlers in the 1950s, when Picasso was attending a peace conference in Sheffield?

yes they had no paper so he drew it on a popadom!!

haha no but that is a true story (allegedly) there is some info in the doorway to the indian resteraunt regarding it.

I was born at Jessops 30th December 1962 just a little early as I wasn't due until sometime in March 1963.

I am very thankful to Jessops, being born so early and during one of the worst winters in many years. If it wasn't for Jessops I wouldn't be here now.

I would love to get my medical records, bet they have all been lost with the demolition of Jessops :(

yes they had no paper so he drew it on a popadom!!

What a waste of a good popadom ;)

Waiter please can I have the chutneys to go with the free popadom

Guest plain talker

I was born in Jessops hospital in the heat wave of june 1976, the hospital has now been demolished and is in process of redevelopment, are there any more jessops babies out there????

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s17601

the bit of Jessops in the photo, that you linked to, AFAIK is still standing. that part is listed, to the best of my knowlege. (it's the post-war/ inter war part that's been demolished)

I wasn't born in Jessops, myself (a Nether Edge baby, me!) but my two younger sisters were both born in Jessops, as were my aunt's two children.

We hold a very special affection for the SCBU (Special Care Baby Unit) as my youngest sister (born 1977) spent the first few weeks of her life in there as a "prem". She turns 30 in December, and has a child of her own, now.

My aunt had two "prem" deliveries, a 30-week girl, in 1973, weighing in at 4lbs-and- loose change! and a 26-week boy, in 1986, weighing just 2lbs 2oz (exactly one kilo). Both children are fine, strapping adults, now. All thanks to Jessops SCBU keeping them alive through those crucial first few months.

Guest Kathleen

I was born there in 1948 can't recall much about it but i was very young at the time and it was a long time ago.

I was born there even earlier in 1937

I was born in Jessops hospital in the heat wave of june 1976, the hospital has now been demolished and is in process of redevelopment, are there any more jessops babies out there????

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s17601

my son was born at Jessops in 1985. When pregnant with my daughter some 11 years later i requested Jessops for her birth. my GP said no as second babies always arrive quicker than the first. I was in labour for 22 hours with her! I could have gone to America and back in that time and still had time to get back from the airport!!!! lol I had her at NGH instead not a patch on the old Jessops. he he

Guest dwarfersmeg

I was born there on 6th February 1979, spent my first 2 weeks in there I think!!

Hope the old part of the building stays, there's too many characterless monstrosities being thrown up in our city! :angry:

Guest Sheffield Steve

I was born in this hospital back in the 60's.

It broke my heart when I discovered it was being demolished. I cried - I mean really cried. Part of Sheffield's history and my own personal history gone forever for yet ANOTHER University project.

Breaks my heart.

At least Henderson's pickle factory is still across the road.

Guest Sheffield Steve

there's too many characterless monstrosities being thrown up in our city! :angry:

Couldn't agree more.

Look at that horrific steel fountain on Sheaf Square for example. Makes my heart bleed mate.

I had my 2 daughters in 1984 and 1989, I had my own room both times , great view of the church clock staring in at the window.Shame it's gone -great hospital.

The old original building is listed and can't be demolished. I went past the other day and they seem to be building all the way round it instead so the old place is disappearing!

Here's the original Jessops Hospital, I've walked past it hundreds of times but never noticed the plaque before until this weekend ........ A beautiful building!

and opposite another equally fine building!

It was not called "......Jessops Hospital....", it was called "..... Jessop Hospital....." as is "Jessop Wing".

Yes you are correct thanks,

I will amend the Topic title

I was born there on 6th February 1979, spent my first 2 weeks in there I think!!

Hope the old part of the building stays, there's too many characterless monstrosities being thrown up in our city! :angry:

I know this is late to reply to this but I have only just joined this site. My daughter was also born in Jessop's on 6th February 1979 !!

Anyone got any photos of how Jessop Hospital looks now? Looks as though the last set of photos was posted in October last year. :unsure: