Football Team (Who are they)

Stuart0742

I have this small photo (approx 3inX2in)

No details other than the name and address on the back, possibly 1950's.

Does anybody recognise anybody.

Guest transit

Sheffield History - we have a challenge !!

This looks like being a good one too !

First guess - the bloke stood on the leftin white jacket and socks looks like Cec Coldwell , the future physio ,trainer and briefly manager at Sheff Utd ,during the 60"s and 70"s. Could this be an early picture of Sufc youth team or even Sheffield Boys who were the team to strive for before becomming professional. If the address of Handsworth is / could be relevant , it is because Sheff Boys used to play on pitches at Handsworth on the other side of Handsworth Rd to where the Asda is. (most of which is currently having a housing estate built) I know back then (50,60,70s) that this was THE place for talent scouts of local clubs to asses future plaers.

We should perhaps start our search with this person and see if we can track them down..

This is so far out of my "comfort zone", haven't even a clue where to begin :( ; when you get his family back to 1900- I'll chip in lol

These guys look a little old for Sheffield Boys/SUFC Youth, I would say the average of age of the players looks to be around mid 20,s, could possibly be a works team.

Looking closely at the picture the dark patch to the left behind the goal could be a river or pond, the house in the background is also quite distinctive and could lead to identifying the ground. The gents in suits appear to be wearing arm bands, could these be of some significance?

Sorry no answers but possibly a few clues to help jog someone’s memory

OK as I've not posted since summer 2007 here goes:

I've found a birth in Sheffield for a John R P Topham, this is in the December quarter 1917. The mothers maiden name was Pearson.

I wonder if he is in the photo?

Oh and a happy 2008 to all.

J.R Topham

3 Enfield Place

Handsworth

Sheffield 9

England

Hi looking through another forum i found a PE Teacher named Topham at Yewlands School sadly no initials ?

This is a tough one. I wonder if anyone recognises the area where the field is. It looks like there could be another field (maybe cricket) to the right and a building in the distance.

Jodpurs anyone ?

Also, what is the white line between the armband and the goalpost on the RHS, a roadway maybe ?

Pretty flat for anything to do with Sheffield !!!

Either a works team or even a shot from abroad sent to Sheffield ? Englald .....

Jodpurs anyone ?

Also, what is the white line between the armband and the goalpost on the RHS, a roadway maybe ?

Pretty flat for anything to do with Sheffield !!!

Either a works team or even a shot from abroad sent to Sheffield ? Englald .....

Richard

I agree it could be a foreign team or possibly a military team, military could also explain the arm bands, and some of the people definitely have a Mediterranean pallor. The house in the background has a foreign look about its style. The intrigue deepens, the answer has to lie with Mr Topham or a relative, there are still a couple of Topham’s living in the close vicinity to Handsworth according to the phone book, and one is J Topham of Orgreave Lane.

Mark

Now here is a thought!

When I was a lad we used to go to Lodge Moor for the day on the sports field behind the pub on the left towards Wyming Brook.

There used to be German POWs playing football there and I remember the white vests.

In the photo there is a bloke in jodphur type trews (not English)

Enfield Place is just round the corner from where I used to live. It only had a few houses on it, lovingly known as the keyhole, because of its shape. By the way its S13

The building in the background puzzles me though, not Handsworth unless it is something not there now.

Now here is a thought!

When I was a lad we used to go to Lodge Moor for the day on the sports field behind the pub on the left towards Wyming Brook.

There used to be German POWs playing football there and I remember the white vests.

In the photo there is a bloke in jodphur type trews (not English)

I always thought this would be impossible, but "Stu's" post is food for thought, given the spelling of England on the back of the photo Englald seems to be a common mis-spelling of England, if the photo is just a local works team why include England in the address.

Were the POW's German or Italian in Sheffield?

I think they were mainly Italian, a few years ago after heavy rain a pile of badges, buttons and buckles were uncovered, these appear to have come from a pile of burnt uniforms.

Again if this is lodge Moor, the building is not recognisable and the lay of the land does not look right, I still feel the building looks Dutch or in that region, that as well as the fact that the card is addressed to ENGALD, would leave me to beilieve that this was taken abroad, maybe in a camp of mixed nationality POWs.