Cousins - Handsworth

Sheffield History

The following belongs to a friend of mine (Mr Briddon !)

It's the 'Cousins' tobacconist and confectionary shop

Advertised and displayed so immaculately in the window are 'Burnt Almonds' by Rowntree and it looks like the popular cigarette brand of the time was Players.

It's a shop that was in his family and the picture is believed to have been taken in the 1920's

Would anyone know where it would have been ?

We would love the address so we can get a recent pic of how it is now..

I think that this is one of the best photo's posted on this site - it just recreates the time perfectly in all manner of ways

Guest mega_monty

Hi, Cousins was at 39 Handsworth Road in a line of shops with the Triangle estate behind, the shop is still there today. If you come off the Parkway from town and take the left turn at the Handsworth roundabout and follow Handsworth Road for approx 200 yards you will see these shops on the right hand side just before the White Rose as you decend the hill towards the railway bridge.

I would be interested if your friend Mr Briddon would allow us a copy of these pictures for a Handsworth History project I'm working on.

The man in the photo is Mr. Algy Cousins

OH MY GOD

That has just knocked me for six.. I can't believe it !!

I was wondering for ages where Cousins was - I couldn't picture it

Then you go and post a picture that reveals an amazing coincidence..

That shop is right next door to my family's chippie that was owned by my grandad !!

When I grew up Cousins was an insurance brokers run by a bloke called Alan

Thank you so much for identifying this location !!

I'll email Christian about the pictures - he's a member on the site too

Do you have any other pictures of the chip shop next door ?

The Triangle Fish Bar

Guest mega_monty

OH MY GOD

I can't believe it !!

That shop is right next door to my family's chippie that was owned by my grandad

When I grew up Cousins was an insurance brokers run by a bloke called Alan

Thank you so much for identifying this location !!

I'll email Christian about the pictures - he's a member on the site too

Thanks, I think it was called Cavendish Insurance or something of the like, thats only what I remember it being, not sure what it is now though. I dont have any other pics of the chip shop next door, but its still a fish and chip shop today

Yeh - cavendish - that's the one

I remember as a child getting my spending money on a Saturday and running round from the back room of the chippy, past the Cavendish, and into the hardware shop next door which was like an aladdins cave to me and my cousins

We bought some amazing toys from there like aeroplanes you could build - in packets the same size as playing card packets

Guest mega_monty

Was your grandads chip shop called Stanways ? my dad can recall this and knew their son Trevor

Was your grandads chip shop called Stanways ? my dad can recall this and knew their son Trevor

Hi,

No - it was the Triangle Fish Bar

During the 70's and 80's

Before that - I think he had a chippy down on main road on land that is now flattened

Guest Christian Briddon

Hi, Cousins was at 39 Handsworth Road in a line of shops with the Triangle estate behind, the shop is still there today. If you come off the Parkway from town and take the left turn at the Handsworth roundabout and follow Handsworth Road for approx 200 yards you will see these shops on the right hand side just before the White Rose as you decend the hill towards the railway bridge.

I would be interested if your friend Mr Briddon would allow us a copy of these pictures for a Handsworth History project I'm working on.

Hi there,

I have no problem with you using the pictures for your project. I'm amazed to see more pictures of the shop!!

Cheers,

Christian

Guest Christian Briddon

Hi Monty,

I was telling my granny last night about the pictures you posted and she said she had a copy of the same picture of Algy in front of the shop. I was wondering where you got it from? Was it used in a newspaper or a magazine?

Cheers,

Christian

Guest transit

Yeh - cavendish - that's the one

I remember as a child getting my spending money on a Saturday and running round from the back room of the chippy, past the Cavendish, and into the hardware shop next door which was like an aladdins cave to me and my cousins

We bought some amazing toys from there like aeroplanes you could build - in packets the same size as playing card packets

Cavendish Insurance shop- which has been there for years -has just closed for good as the owners are retiring .Currently up for sale/to let but still has all the Cavendish signage and info up.

Guest mega_monty

Hi Monty,

I was telling my granny last night about the pictures you posted and she said she had a copy of the same picture of Algy in front of the shop. I was wondering where you got it from? Was it used in a newspaper or a magazine?

Cheers,

Christian

Hi, Fantastic pictures as a classic car buff I like that picture of Algy with his cars, he looks really proud. Sent you a PM with regard to these pictures

I was so pleased to come across this, Algy was my grandfather and I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him so it was really nice to see.

My Mother and her two sisters used to live above the shop (she is younger sister of Christian's Grandmother) and she has often described the shop and their lives there to me.

I showed the posts to her at the weekend and it took her back

Michelle

Guest mega_monty

I was so pleased to come across this, Algy was my grandfather and I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him so it was really nice to see.

My Mother and her two sisters used to live above the shop (she is younger sister of Christian's Grandmother) and she has often described the shop and their lives there to me.

Michelle

Hi glad to hear we've been of some help with your family history :) nice to learn about Algy and his family.

Michelle

Brilliant, I love it when someone here, finds someone "there", makes the whole thing more worthwhile :rolleyes:

Went past yesterday - the building still has Cavendish signs up and is still up for rent

Had to go to Handswoth today but only had my phone with me.

Images are not the best but still not too bad........

p.s the chippy is now rubbish!!

Thank you for putting these on Hjdary, it's fascinating to see how different the shop looks now. Shame it's been let, I could have pretended to be a prospective tenant and had a look round!

I think it looks much more romantic in the old photos, what with the fancy upstairs windows and all the choccies on display. You almost feel like you could walk straight in

Guest jeyre60152

Wow, real childhood memories!

I lived at 22 Handsworth Rd from 1973 to 1981 when I left for the RAF.

I can remember the chippie (brill), the hardware shop and the insurance broker (even back then).

On the opposite corner to the chippie was an old fashioned 'corner shop' that sold everything, I couldn't tell you the amount of times I ran up there for bread or milk and later beer and fags!

Crikey - it looks like the original frying range is still in place from when my grandparents had it !

I wouldn't be suprised if it doesnt have the same fat in!!

Its not the best chippy in the area anymore.