Park Square ^60 Something

Guest J.A.C.

Guest J.A.C.

Hi you lot

I just thought these might be interesting (albeit taken with a dodgy camera) in 1960 something.

Best Regards

Jim.

I wonder what year these are?

Looks like a tower crane being used on the new Sheaf Market.

Any chance of bigger scans?

I wonder what year these are?

Looks like a tower crane being used on the new Sheaf Market.

Any chance of bigger scans?

Hi Grinder Bloke

Yes that is a tower crane on the market site. This was taken from the top floor of Crown Street Flats which have since been removed & made into single storey. The nearest I can get to a year is 1965 /1966 I have tried another scan but the quality of the original leaves a lot to be desired.

Best Regards

Jim.

Hi Grinder Bloke

Yes that is a tower crane on the market site. This was taken from the top floor of Crown Street Flats which have since been removed & made into single storey. The nearest I can get to a year is 1965 /1966 I have tried another scan but the quality of the original leaves a lot to be desired.

Best Regards

Jim.

It's me again.

Try these for size,they are a little better.

The garage advertising reliable used cars is T. Clarke & Partners who I think are still going strong.

Best Regards

Jim.

Guest carlie167

Hi you lot

I just thought these might be interesting (albeit taken with a dodgy camera) in 1960 something.

Best Regards

Jim.

Loved the photos, remember, a bad photo is better than no photo. And Im not saying yours are bad by the way, I always like to see any old photos of Sheffield, it changes so fast and I dont get down as often as I would like too. Thanks. :) :)

Hi Carli

Of course you are right any photo is better than none, and many is the time Iv'e thought I must take a picture of that before things change, then by the time I come to take a picture whoosh! it's gone. (I can feel a new year resolution coming on) Many thanks for your reply.

Regards

Jim.

Hi Carli

Of course you are right any photo is better than none, and many is the time Iv'e thought I must take a picture of that before things change, then by the time I come to take a picture whoosh! it's gone. (I can feel a new year resolution coming on) Many thanks for your reply.

Regards

Jim.

Hi Jim

I agree, we should always carry a camera, you don't know what you might see and as you say next minute its gone.

Digital cameras are small enough nowadays

Stuart

I love to take my camera with me.....when we had the floods last year it was with me in the van the whole time but unfortunatly my boss moved me to Nottingham for the week to avoid the water!

Didnt get a single decent shot!!

It's me again.

Try these for size,they are a little better.

The garage advertising reliable used cars is T. Clarke & Partners who I think are still going strong.

Best Regards

Jim.

Thanks Jim

I found a clue to the date!

Where is says reliable used cars, the car parallel to that sign is a Ford Capri, that car didn't go on sale until early 1969.

Every picture tells a story :)

Thanks for the rescans.

The next question, do you by any chance have anymore historic picture of Sheffield?

Guest carlie167

This was taken around 1983 looking towards Hyde Park Flats. I think it was taken from the car park near where the Sheaf Market was.Not quite Park Square but still.......... :) :)

This was taken around 1983 looking towards Hyde Park Flats. I think it was taken from the car park near where the Sheaf Market was.Not quite Park Square but still.......... :):)

Thanks for the photograph Carlie, you can just see Crown Place were the original photos were taken from, its the new brickwork on the righthand edge of your photo.

Regards

Jim.

This was taken around 1983 looking towards Hyde Park Flats. I think it was taken from the car park near where the Sheaf Market was.Not quite Park Square but still.......... :):)

Carlie ..... after risking life and limb with the traffic this morning, I can safely say "your" photo was taken from on Park Square Roundabout. As you can see very little has changed apart from the flats disappearing from the skyline.

Regards the other photos because of the height of Park Square roundabout (now) its just not possible to get the same angle and view. I think the most noticeable difference is the amount of greenery.

Thanks for that Dr Stanley, and glad you are still in one piece after dancing with the traffic!!!!!!!! lollollol

Hi Dr Stanley

Thanks for risking life & limb today excellent photos, but tell me is the second one really taken at the bottom of Duke street as were my originals I have not been down there for ages. What I do remember from the sixties is Kilsun vans going round with a sticker on the back saying a blind man was driving this van.

Regards

Jim.

Guest transit

Hi Dr Stanley

Thanks for risking life & limb today excellent photos, but tell me is the second one really taken at the bottom of Duke street as were my originals I have not been down there for ages. What I do remember from the sixties is Kilsun vans going round with a sticker on the back saying a blind man was driving this van.

Regards

Jim.

As you say -excellent photos , but picture 2 is looking BACK from where the BLACK car is in the original photo , just above the middle of the photo- more or less exactly where the BLACK car was on todays photo. Note also the kids playground infront has long gone.

Thanks Jim

I found a clue to the date!

Where is says reliable used cars, the car parallel to that sign is a Ford Capri, that car didn't go on sale until early 1969.

Every picture tells a story :)

Thanks for the rescans.

The next question, do you by any chance have anymore historic picture of Sheffield?

Sorry to be picky but the MK1 Capri hit the road in1968. Only a year out but we have to be factual don't we lol

Hi Dr Stanley

Regards

Jim.

Hi Jim ..... Yes, my photo was taken across from the junction of Duke Street, I guess that when your photo was taken Park Square Roundabout was still flat, not like today. Take a look at the photo below, taken a while back ..... my photo was taken at the extreme right of the black and white chevron board.

Does anyone remember that when Park Square opened, no traffic lights! ..... Imagine that today.

Hi Jim ..... Yes, my photo was taken across from the junction of Duke Street, I guess that when your photo was taken Park Square Roundabout was still flat, not like today. Take a look at the photo below, taken a while back ..... my photo was taken at the extreme right of the black and white chevron board.

Does anyone remember that when Park Square opened, no traffic lights! ..... Imagine that today.

Hi dr stanley I used to use Park Square on a regular basis it was all-about getting in the correct lane on entry to the roundabout and knowing exactly where you was going, But them days the roads were a lot quieter, Many of my friends who didn't use Sheffield regular were scared of it and would avoid it at all costs.