Trade Directories

Guest Surreal

Guest Surreal

Hi,

Does anyone have any theories on this one relating to Sheffield Rothwell families:

In the Post Office trade directory of 186I have a guy named William Rothwell listed as a master baker in Gainsborough. He doesn't appear in any other trade directory either side of this year.

My question is, how did people get listed in the trade directories and can anyone find any reference to this guy? Been searching for this for years.

Cheers,

Darren

Can't speak for the 1860s, but in the 1950s they used to come round from house to house asking if the lists they had were correct. Good luck with the quest and welcome to Sheffield History. Hope you enjoy it.

Hi,

Does anyone have any theories on this one relating to Sheffield Rothwell families:

In the Post Office trade directory of 186I have a guy named William Rothwell listed as a master baker in Gainsborough. He doesn't appear in any other trade directory either side of this year.

My question is, how did people get listed in the trade directories and can anyone find any reference to this guy? Been searching for this for years.

Cheers,

Darren

One theory is that people paid to be listed, hence "I won't find my xxx-relative, he used to lick worms for a living and couldn't afford to pay ....", however, the number of Ag Labs and other such jobs may make Tsavo's idea more likely; there were lists, these were updated manually and re-printed.

Certainly data from an 1861 listing more correctly describes the situation in 1860 since the data had to be collected, collated and then printer; much as any popular magazine of today dated September will certainly have been "on the shelves" since late July and therefore the gossip/news in it relates to June or even May.

Looking at Ancestry.co.uk gives the following conclusion :

William Rothwell died in the period April to June 1861, Boston registration district (could be any of a number of outlying villages), volume 7a, page 236.

George probably died April-June 1877, Spalding district, Lincs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some "blurb" covering how I believe the above may be true ... or may not, it might just give you something to give your research a boost ...

1901, 1891, 1881, 1871 no sign of William Rothwell

1861 only reference I can find is :

Thomas Rothwell, aged 51, beer retailer and pig jober (sounds like fun !)

Mary, wife, 61, born Gosberton, Lincs

Elizabeth, 26, daughter

William, 22, invalid, born April-June 1839

George, 20, cannot make out job, "Pasbator" ??

all living at Fosdyke Bridge, Lincs

--------------------------------------

Thomas, 48 (nice !, surely should be 40), pig dealer and beer retailer

Mary, 51

Elizabeth, 16

Sarah, 14

William, 11

George, 10

Old Inn, Old Inn Corner, Fosdyke

--------------------------------------

Thomas, 30, Publican

Mary, 40

Betsey, 6

Sally, 4

William, 2

George, 4 months

---------------------------------------

None of this is fact, just my findings, no sign of a Baker, could be another branch, I could be well wide of the mark ...

Hope it's of interest, Good Luck and Welcome to the site.

(No funny mentions of horses in this reply lol )

I only found one Rothwell living in Gainsborough 1861 an Elizabeth aged 65.

Specifically in Gainsborough, I agree Elizabeth, widow, born 1796, aged 65, born Gainsbro

Thomas Rothwell, however, plods on

Thomas Rothwell, 60, pig dealer

George Rothwell, 30, Castrator

Roman Bank, Pulover House, Fosdyke

Thomas Rothwell, head, widower, 70, jobber

Old Eaude Bank, Fosdyke