Anyone remember this on Holme Lane?

Sheffield History

Take a look at the picture below..

If I'm right - isnt this the site of the old 'Chuck Ranch' restaurant ?

The site is exactly the same today

Guest coffee cup

:) :):):)

Yes it was the Chuck Ranch, remember going there many years ago. Think it caught fire under suspicious circumstances.

Yeah I think you are right and at the time many people speculated as to what went on..

I thought it was the site - I wonder why it's never been redeveloped (or at least tidied up)

Guest coffee cup

I think Holme Lane as missed out some what. It used to have loads of shops I remember going to a bread shop, called Turners we used to order our our bread from their for the weekend, it was next door to a newsagents, where we used to get the papers plus if I could keep the change I used to get a 1/4 of sports mixture or midget gems.

:P:P:P:P

Those were the days !!!!!

Know it well from my childhood

Then it was dark, 'poky', dark green coloured and friendly old couple owned/run it

Guest coffee cup

Yes. although I have never been good ad maths I am sure the lady short changed me on more than once. Still prior to new Pence you could get an awful lot for a PENNY !!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Black Jacks, Fruit Salad, MOJOS, sherbert fountains, anglo bubbly, need I go on ?

Guest lesvegas

Know it well from my childhood

Then it was dark, 'poky', dark green coloured and friendly old couple owned/run it

I think this may be the shop ill soon be renting

Yours it up the other way isn't it ?

Towards Malin Bridge (and the Supper Spot - best chippy in the world)

Guest coffee cup

I beg to differ Admin, but Malin Bridge chippy is better {on one way road end of Rivelin Valley Road} is much better than Supper Spot, failing that Taplin Road or Worrall Road beat Supper Spot hands down !!.

ha ha ha !!

This argument brings back memories of a few weeks ago..

Anyway - back to your shop - isn't it at the other end from the shop this thread is on about ?

Guest coffee cup

Admin, you were the one that brought up the Supper spot which to my memory is very close to the Yew Tree, you said it was the best Chippy , sorry I beg to differ there are better even better than the two local ones I mentioned. If you want proper Fish & Chips then go to Broomheads at Crookes {cooked in Dripping bad for the figure but excellent - you did bring up fish and chips . !!

This chippy argument's been raging for weeks now..

ha ha !!

The Supper Spot

Home made meat and potato pie and chips

mmm......

My auntie and uncle had a shop on holme lane I think it was 70's /80's called Barnetts Trim dogs when they sold it the people moved it to somewhere above the Barracks on Langsett Road.

Guest lesvegas

Yours it up the other way isn't it ?

Towards Malin Bridge (and the Supper Spot - best chippy in the world)

Yes i think mines further down, its just that its been dark green for years

Sure I've seen this place on here, more recently ...

Well I did well to remember it - actually I just recognised it, not bad from 30 years ago - what was the Geology place just along from there, back towards Hillsborough, same side.

Years ago it used to be a chemist shop staffed by a very superior lady in a dazzling white coat. As a lad I used to go there to buy an obnoxious dye called something like "crysadine" for my father to colour his fishing maggots with. The maggots of course I had just purchased next door at Dawsons, which is still going strong today. I used to deliver papers for Faldings who were located just the other side of Haden Street. On the morning of the "Great Sheffield Gale" I eventually ventured out from home to collect my papers. As I left the comparitive shelter of Haden Street I stepped out into Holme lane and the wind blew open my great big canvas "Star" bag and the next thing I knew I was flying past the upstairs window of Dawson's shop and I made a painful landing about 10 yards nearer to Malin Bridge !

Happy Days !!!

Chrysoidine Dye was a very powerful orange dye

that colored maggots on skin contact,

not only did it color maggots it also transferred it's self onto anglers hands

and could not be removed by washing.

Another dye that was used was Annatto,

but Annatto had to fed into the growing pupa,

Anatto was more commonly used as a food coloring

and is still used today in food production, ie: margerine.