The History Of Cole Brothers and Coles Corner

mickjj

Did you know they are going to reopen the Cambridge Street shop when they have refurbished it

selling furniture and they have pulled out of buying the Fire Station.

Guest darcy

'syrup' Apr 8 2009, 09:57 PM'

"Did you know they are going to reopen the Cambridge Street shop when they have refurbished it

selling furniture and they have pulled out of buying the Fire Station."

The Cambridge Street shop is being used temporarily as a clearance shop by John Lewis because the re-development program has been put on hold for the time being. Unfortuanatly its then going to be knocked down!

The Sevenstone redevelopment will cover a large amount of land in that area including the fire station which is also being knocked down to make way for the new John Lewis and other retailers.

Guest Fiona E

picture from the book 'images of sheffield' - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Images-Sheffield-G...TF8&s=books

My 2 x Gt G/father, George Warren, was, I believe, a director of Cole Brothers. He married the sister, Anne Cole in 1851 having worked for Cole Brothers at their Fargate shop. He was quite a wealthy man and - again family stories - was earning more than £1,000 in 1900. He died in 1905. His son Joseph Cole Warren was born in 1852 but completely disappears after the 1871 census. I would be interested to hear/learn more of Cole Brothers and my relative's connection.

My 2 x Gt G/father, George Warren, was, I believe, a director of Cole Brothers. He married the sister, Anne Cole in 1851 having worked for Cole Brothers at their Fargate shop. He was quite a wealthy man and - again family stories - was earning more than £1,000 in 1900. He died in 1905. His son Joseph Cole Warren was born in 1852 but completely disappears after the 1871 census. I would be interested to hear/learn more of Cole Brothers and my relative's connection.

Hi Fiona, and welcome to the Forum! It's always fascinating to hear of the people involved. £1,000 in 1900 must have been a small fortune!

Thanks for posting, and we hope to hearing from you again. :)

In 2008, £1000 0s 0d from 1900 is worth

£80,659.08 using the retail price index.

£436,390.00 using average earnings.

Did he get bonusus?

Tragic how they could pull down a great building like that to replace it with that tasteless unsuitable white thing. Totally out of place. At least they did a better job of fitting orchard square in down the other end.

Promised a better scan of the Coles picture, here it is ...

Here is a polite request for maps of Cole's Corner pre- and post 1867. As close to those dates would be nice but really looking for as good an image as possible of the "Corner" itself, 50 yards either way.

Hope new Members enjoy this picture (1905), one of my favourites.

No, I've changed my mind, one of the finest pictures of Sheffield History anywhere.

Here is a polite request for maps of Cole's Corner pre- and post 1867. As close to those dates would be nice but really looking for as good an image as possible of the "Corner" itself, 50 yards either way.

Hope new Members enjoy this picture (1905), one of my favourites.

No, I've changed my mind, one of the finest pictures of Sheffield History anywhere.

Any further information on this place, or a date estimate please.

Hubbard, Fargate Mourning Warehouse, possibly on site of Cole Brothers Fargate/Church Street?

Guest Trefcon

WW1 Roll of Honour for Cole Brothers coming soon!

I've only just discovered this, my partner has been working at John Lewis for about 3 years and has just told me about it!!!

This is my favourite image on SheffieldHistory - what do you think ? Are there any better in your view please ?

Promised a better scan of the Coles picture, here it is ...

I work for the John Lewis Partnership, please see the image from our website for the current store in Barkers Pool.

Hi my mum used to work in Coles...the electric depratment.. She remembers a manager called Miss Middleton and a deputy Manager called Stenton (she thinks) She won a works dance competition there once, the prize a break in London.This would be in the 1940's and she remembers the courting couples always met at Coles Corner..

B9E7A580-A433-4A78-B3DF-114864EE0644.jpeg

Here is the carpark that was cleared in order to build Cole Brothers (now John Lewis) in Barkers Pool

I worked in Fargate Court when Cole Bros decided to relocate, there was absolutely no reason why the frontage couldn’t have been preserved, the building was very sound having been well looked after by both John Lewis and Cole Brothers. The monstrosity that replaced it could only have been achieved by something that I and many more were/are totally unaware of. We can all pick out the ‘iffy’ ones, but without the assistance of the very folk that made these things happen were on a hiding to nothing, such is life.

3 minutes ago, DaveJC said:

I worked in Fargate Court when Cole Bros decided to relocate, there was absolutely no reason why the frontage couldn’t have been preserved, the building was very sound having been well looked after by both John Lewis and Cole Brothers. The monstrosity that replaced it could only have been achieved by something that I and many more were/are totally unaware of. We can all pick out the ‘iffy’ ones, but without the assistance of the very folk that made these things happen we are on a hiding to nothing, such is life.

Altered were to we are.

With the news today that John Lewis (aka Cole Brothers) will not reopen in Sheffield, it brings the history of one of Sheffield’s finest department stores to a very sad end.

Another huge nail in the coffin of the City Centre and very soon it will probably be a case of the last one out, please turn the lights off.

Much as I am not a fan of Meadowhall, maybe they are planning to take over the Debenhams site there? How sad that a city the size of Sheffield has such a paltry offering of major stores in the centre..... and yes, I know the argument about the changing demographics, but no comfort to the partners, nor anyone who still likes to shop in person and not purely online.