Club WOW

Sheffield History

CLUB WOW

Valley Centertainment Park, Broughton Lane, S9 2EP

INFORMATION

Club WOW DJ Andy Brown

PICTURES

Pictured above - Jeni Jay - Britney Spears tribute act that appeared at Club Wow

We need your help here folks - do you have any pictures of the place ? If so post below and tell us..

Reviews at the time

I have visited club wow a number of times now and although not a regular visiter, I can ensure that anyone into getting drunk, and dancing to either pop, cheese or dance music will enjoy the experience.

One major problem with club wow tho, is it often needs more people in it, but personally I would rather a club having slightly too few people in, than too many.

Also if you are on the pull, club wow has always served me well, especially considering my lack of success in most other places, the women are quite attractive and very flirtatious.

This opinion will probably not offer much insight to the place, but the poor publicity club wow recieves is unfair. Truthfully you have to visit yourself if you want to know how good it is, and make your own opinion.

_ _ _ _ _

All I know about Club Wow is that you get on a free bus from outside Broomhill Friary or any of the halls, sit there for about 20 mins and then you get there! Apparently its Valley Centertainment. There is also a free bus back at the end of the night.

Every Monday night there is a student night of quality cheesy music and drinks are very cheap. Entry is either free or very cheap!

We practically lived in Club Wow last year, it was the best of the best. It was the sort of club you could go to and know everyone. However, Club Wow suffered when Kingdom opened and people no longer go there. We've been there since its demise and it has gone downhill considerably!

However, its a good place to get plastered and relax and chat with some quality cheese. The dance floor is often empty nowadays with a few very pissed people on it, strutting their stuff!

- - - - -

WHY why on earth did I ever let my friends drag me here. Then I realised. its to remind me that a backward country pub is actually not the worst place on earth. Club WoW is reknown amongst Sheffield students for being the worst place on earth to go drinking.

The club is located out of town which requires a taxi or catching the free bus out there. Once you get there dont even think about going for a beer before the club. The bars are way overpriced, and Brannigans is particularly non student friendly in its strict dress code.

The club itself looks fairly decent on the inside but very tacky, and we only paid about £1 to get in, as i was to learn there was a reason for this.

Club Zues is basically a small dance floor attached to the rest of the club, and not even worth bothering to go in, as its usually empty.

The main dance floor is a fairly good size and can hold a fair few hundred people.

The music played in there rangs from very bad 70's cheese and 90's cheese, to comercial house. The clientel ranges from students to under 18 year olds.

Drinks prices are fairly reasonable and they have some good offers on there usually especially on student nights.

I cant place my fingure on it, but something lacks at club WoW. To be honest its a very very poor version of Kingdom. Even if you hate dance and cheese its possible to go to Kingdom and have a good time, with club WoW you will probably end up board and theres no escape once you are there til the club shuts and the shuttle buses start running.

Theres little you can say about the place, as its not particularly good has nothing that really stands out about it.

Best advice is avoid.

- - - - -

WOW stands for World of Wonder. Well, the wonder with this place is how many under age people can you get in one over-18 night? Have a come a day to early and revisited my youth of nappy nights?

Club WOW is situated in a place called Valley Centertainment near the Sheffield Arena and Meadowhall shopping centre. It is nowhere near the centre of the city. To offset this however, there is a free bus ride every 15 minutes from the Devonshire Quarter near where all the decent bars are, so hop on one of these. WOW is another one of those clubs which you find charge absolutely ridiculous drink and entrance fees for nothing worthwhile. The likelyhood is that some under age kis will end up drinking too much for his little mind and ending up wanting a fight. Now there is a shock!

The music is mainly 'cheesey' with the main highlights being alice bloody deejay for christs sake. There is only one MASSIVE room but if there is anyone above 25 who goes, there is a side room which plays old tunes from the 60's/70's and of course our favourite era, the 80's.

If you ever come to Sheffield, please take this advice and don't end up going home with a bad view of Sheffield nightlife. There are much better venues in the city centre where there is a better atmosphere. Avoid this one like the plague.

Guest ShefGal

Club Wow has been closed down for along time now. I started going in there at 16, and enjoyed many of a good night, in both the big room and small room. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and sundays!!. Bring it Back!!

Had quite a bad rep though and being in an out of town position struggled to keep people going back

It will always be difficult for Sheffield unless they build a full village of bars and clubs in one spot out of town.

Guest sheffsteel

I went years ago on a Friday when i was in my early 30's.

I thought it was like a 5th or 6th form school party.

There were lots of people whom looked about 16 or 17, maybe even younger.

The old stagers were about 21, so obviously I felt totally out of place.

I agree about the comments regarding Sheffield. The centre of the nite life keeps

changing places and theres too many drinkin places spread out miles all over the place.

Theres alot of quantity but very little quality.

The town planners tried to build up the Attercliffe area but now they've given up and

lost interest part way through the process. Sheffield has lots of half developed projects

everywhere.

*EDIT*...after I posted this I realized that it was Branigans that we were in not Club Wow. Sorry

I only went there the once and good god, that was enough.

I went to a friends stag do and we started in town and later on got the "free bus" which cost ten bob to club wow.

As we walked through the doors we could smell the desperation!!

We stood very quietly hoping not to be noticed as this pack of old hags circled for the kill. There was wrinkled old leathery flesh every where and it wasn't pretty. The only highlight of the night was watching the small bloke and his mate..the tall bloke, dance on the steps with this gorgeous bird who we all had trouble keeping our eyes off.

I was soooooooo happy when my phone rang and my other half said she was waiting outside for us, as these two "ladies" had decided to come over and chat to me and my mate. The whole time I was on edge incase I tripped over some of her wrinkly flesh.

Not nice!

Guest BrokenCircles

True story:

I was in Wow (like I was every Friday night back then!) snogging the a face of some bloke that I had randomly pulled on the dance floor (no effort was ever required for this, you could guarantee the feel of a sweaty hand on your bum within seconds of entering the place) when the bloke stopped suddenly, and was looking worriedly over my shoulder at something behind me. I turned around, and there was my Mother, arms crossed and tapping her foot (and I don't mean along with the music either)! You see I was 16 at the time, and definitely not supposed to be there! It turned out she had been on a work 'do' at Brannigans next door and they had decided to come to Wow afterwards.

Well, I swear I nearly died. Funniest of all was this poor bloke's panic stricken face, which was covered in glitter, thanks to my classy glittery lip gloss! Oh the shame.

Still, it didn't put me off and I enjoyed quiet a few good nights in Wow. It was perfect for us teeny-boppers, who had just missed out on the joys of Roxy's (I regret that I missed out on that experience very much, its like a badge of honour when people talk about their mis-spent youth in the Roxy) although I can see why older people disliked it.

We never bought a drink in there because we didn't have the money so we used to get tanked up on jugs of 'Cut-The-Bull' (vodka and Red Bull) in the pubs in town before we got there.

If we really liked our pull we would go over to the High House or Secret Garden, which were the seating areas, for a good smooch. And if he really liked you, he might buy you some curly fries in the food area!

Of course we grew up and moved on, Kingdom was the favorite for a long time. A lot of people speak ill of places like Wow or Roxy's and other places, and while I can certainly see the negative side, I think people should look back fondly, as I do, because we'll never get those days back. And they were good, fun days and I don't regret a thing.

Guest Chairmanpaolo

Me and my friends went to the opening night of Club Wow when we were students - the free bus going there (taking us from Ranmoor Halls) was fine, but was absolutely swamped at chucking out time, and there were hundreds of people left queuing in the car parks outside. Dozens of folk were caught short and had to slink away to the vacant lot next door, clambering over the concrete and weeds in their saturday night best! We walked for about 2 hours before getting a taxi. It wasn't as riotous as Kingdom or Roxys and the music wasn't as good as the Leadmill or Music Factory - couple that with the location and it was never going to last long. One detail stands out - my mate dropped his (plastic) pint pot and as soon as he did a woman with a dustpan and mop appeared and swept it up before disappearing again.

Guest 30_degrees

Me and my friends went to the opening night of Club Wow when we were students - the free bus going there (taking us from Ranmoor Halls) was fine, but was absolutely swamped at chucking out time, and there were hundreds of people left queuing in the car parks outside. Dozens of folk were caught short and had to slink away to the vacant lot next door, clambering over the concrete and weeds in their saturday night best! We walked for about 2 hours before getting a taxi. It wasn't as riotous as Kingdom or Roxys and the music wasn't as good as the Leadmill or Music Factory - couple that with the location and it was never going to last long. One detail stands out - my mate dropped his (plastic) pint pot and as soon as he did a woman with a dustpan and mop appeared and swept it up before disappearing again.

From one end to the other. One of my mates was a DJ at WoW for some time along with another whose employer is mentioned in these pages so I'm going no further there.

Before first Liesure got into real difficulties they were looking for ideas to increase foot fall in all their venues, not just WoW. One of the ideas floated was to make promotional videos in the clubs. The idea was to film people in the local area in the evening with a promise for further one on one interviews in the club, this worked and venues were stuffed when we were there. This went nationwide with a venue being visited each Friday and Saturday for some months. Apart from the filming being great fun, we could only work up to about 12.30 so we had the run of the club before being chucked out ourselves well after closing.

One night at WoW, "Busted" were appearing and I got the job of filming them on stage. When WoW closed I started working at Charisma in Donny (one night there a was a blond under a power shower and a party clad S. Fox, but that's another story) and finished up working on the "Blazing Squad" party fire engine.

Club WoW might have appeared a bit desperate at times but I loved the club scene from being with the celeb's to cleaning the bog's. lol

i remember spending a lot of time in here. i don't think we missed a friday or saturday night in about 2 years. it was one of those places where you always saw the same faces. i was about 17 when i first went and loved every minute, probably because it was full of my own age group. :rolleyes: and it wasn't far to walk home lol

Guest paddyman

Just to put the record straight,

the DJS at club wow where Lee Curtis(notts lad now lives in donnie) ( x carios& karisma) Neil Becks (stage name) Andy Oliver, near the end the where loads of one nighters in the secret garden and club zus room

the reason i know this first Liesure brought me back to Sheffield as I had worked here in the 70s 80s before moving to Doncaster,

I was at WOW three months before it open setting up all the sound and lighting and stayed to the end when first Liesure closed its doors.

I have gone back to my roots in music I DJ a northern soul night twice a month,

If I you want to know about Sheffield clubs 70s 80s then WOW in 2000,

I worked most of the clubs in Sheffield.

I started in the Silver Blades then Samanthes,Tifany's, Baily's, Crazy Dasiy, Romeo and Cairo Jax,

Bradford blue lace, 7th heaven - Karisma Doncaster Lexington Ave Hull, ect ect,

then finished my tour of duty with first Liesure at club WOW

dj sound & lighting tec, bad speller.

just to put the record straight the DJS at club wow where lee curtis(notts lad now lives in donnie) ( x carios& karisma) neil becks (stage name) andy oliver, near the end the where loads of one nighters in the secret garden and club zus room

the reason i know this first Liesure brought me back to sheffield as I had worked here in the 70s 80s before moving to doncaster, I was at wow 3months before it open setting up all the sound and lighting and stayed to the end when first Liesure closed its doors,

I have gone back to my roots in music I DJ a northern soul night twice a month,

If I you want to know about sheffield clubs 70s 80s then wow in 2000 i worked most of the clubs in sheffield I started in the silver blades then samanthes,tifanys,bailys, crazy dasiy romeo, cairo jax

bradford blue lace, 7th heaven - karisma doncaster lexington ave hull, ect ect then finished my tour of duty with first Liesure at club wow

dj sound & lighting tec bad speller

Thank you for posting your contribution paddyman,

and welcome to sheffieldhistory.

Guest paddyman

Thank you for posting your contribution paddyman,

and welcome to sheffieldhistory.

thankyou for your kind words, I have got he bug now I am going do a run down of the clubs & djs as I rember them I hope my inside track brings peoples memories back to the disco age

Hi Guys,

Any of you work at Club WOW in 1998-1999?

I would really like to speak to anyone who worked there at the that time.

Cheers

Danny

Guest mickjordcam

went there every weekend froom 2000 to 2003 loved it me and all my mates and when we walked in we used to know nearly everybody there was like home from home had some great times

Anyone remember working at club wow in the late 90s?  I would love to speak with someone.

you can reach me at danielseankerry@gmail.com

Danny