Sheffield Oddities

Sheffield History

There's some little oddities around this crazy city that I just dont' understand, that stick in the mind/memory for no apparant reason or are just strange little quirks and it leaves you wondering just how they came to be..

Today I found another one..

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-1-1171836986.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2007/post-1-1171836748.jpg

It's a set of working traffic lights in the middle of nowhere.

Situated at the bottom of the hill just below the Wards End Cemetery

The coloured filters are smashed to bits but sure enough the lights still work and flash away in the middle of nowhere next to the river..

There's zero traffic, no road, and the mud track that it's on is blocked off with huge blocks of granite so no cars could drive down it even if they wanted to (not to mention the huge water filled hole)

It's bizarre to see - I could resist taking a pic !!

Guest benjybok

There used to be a road which was called club mill rd and was used to access the power station in its glory days.

If i remember the lights should be on a bridge over the river don.

I walked as far along Club Mill Road as you can go, it was a couple of years ago, very dangerous. I've even challenge a four-wheel driven by an expert to tackle some portions of that road. It did strike me as VERY odd indeed, to have sets of lights over a single track bridge, which leads to precisely nowhere.

Image from PictureSheffield

It would be nice to see some pictures from the other end of Club Mill Road, near the bridge and the Farfield pub, I wonder if any of the old building remain on that stretch ?

I walked as far along Club Mill Road as you can go, it was a couple of years ago, very dangerous. I've even challenge a four-wheel driven by an expert to tackle some portions of that road. It did strike me as VERY odd indeed, to have sets of lights over a single track bridge, which leads to precisely nowhere.

Image from PictureSheffield

It would be nice to see some pictures from the other end of Club Mill Road, near the bridge and the Farfield pub, I wonder if any of the old building remain on that stretch ?

Very little remains at the Farfield end steelworks flattened Hillfoot School flattened, part of the boundary wall remains,

part of the Hallamshire vinegar factory is still there.

There used to be Parkwood Lodge on Clubmill and Willcocksons houses opposite the Silver mills.