Horse omnibus.

Dickdioxide

Dear Forum.

I am trying to find out about the actual routes and operators of the horse omnibus services to Walkley (and Crookes).

I have found references to the following:

City-Shalesmoor-Upperthorpe- Common Side ( Springvale Hotel) using 4 horses.

City - Broad Lane- Harcourt Road

(City- )West End Hotel- Northumberland Road- Common Side (was a horse tram ever used along the tracks to the West End?)

Any suggestions?

RB

Dear Forum.

I am trying to find out about the actual routes and operators of the horse omnibus services to Walkley (and Crookes).

I have found references to the following:

City-Shalesmoor-Upperthorpe- Common Side ( Springvale Hotel) using 4 horses.

City - Broad Lane- Harcourt Road

(City- )West End Hotel- Northumberland Road- Common Side (was a horse tram ever used along the tracks to the West End?)

Any suggestions?

RB

Hi Dickioxide Will this help http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl

I think that one of the first and most documented of the horse bus operators was Ruben Thomas (Thompson?)....and I think that he was from the Qjueens road area...I have an onld map somewhere which listed the residents of the streets on the map and there was quite a few houses round Queens road area with the same surname.

I have seen photos of Ruben with a motor taxi too..probably one of Sheffields first.

I think that one of the first and most documented of the horse bus operators was Ruben Thomas (Thompson?)....and I think that he was from the Qjueens road area...I have an onld map somewhere which listed the residents of the streets on the map and there was quite a few houses round Queens road area with the same surname.

I have seen photos of Ruben with a motor taxi too..probably one of Sheffields first.

HI I have posted pictures of Ruben Thompson's horse bus, and Joseph Tomlinson's 4 in hand coach with my father behind the reins on one and my G,Father on the other, outside of the Sportsman lnn, Ruben Thompsons premises was on Queens rd , immediately to the right of Havelocke Bridge

across from the pub, if you can find these pics good luck co's l can't . Skeets

Found it, I think. Try here:

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...p;hl=&st=25

PS. If you can't remember where a past posting is, you can check through you all your past postings and topics. (or anyone else's, by going to their profile.)

Call up your profile, select OPTIONS and select either view member's topics or posts.

Easy, and it must be if I can do it!