Sheffield History

THE OLD LIGHT HORSEMAN

155 Penistone Road, Sheffield 6

INFORMATION

Closed by Tetley's. Demolished several years later when the road was widened

PICTURES

post-1-1171829234.jpg

post-1-1171893237.jpg

i have very good memoires of the old light horseman, as i used to live there. used to watch all the workers from osboune musshets at work loads of memoires

Hi Jen (and welcome to the site !)

Do you have any pictures you could let us see of the place ?

Spread the word too - ask the old regulars to get on and tell us all about the pub !

Hi Jen I suspect your Mum and Dad ran the place back in the 80s I remember The Old Lighthorseman very well a large part of my 'mispent' youth was spent in there getting to know the other regulars and larger than life characters I also remember the Disco Nights which I have some photographs somewhere I must dig them out.

Happy Days!! :D

It would be fantastic if you could post the pictures

If you have any then post them on the site or email them to us and we'll do it for you !

I'd just like to say what a terrific site this is and yes I will get those pictures posted as soon as I can dig them out.

:D

The site being terrific is down to the members posting their pics and memories more than it is down to us

Thanks for joining !

Here are few pics of the inside of The Old Lighthorseman I can't remember an exact date but I would think anywhere between 83 - 87 anyone out there recognise any faces? that's me kneeling down in the middle of the picture with the large cheque being presented to a local charity this was taken by the Sheffield Star and did finish in the paper the money was raised by the regulars at the time in a sponsered ' Pub Crawl ' which involved calling in at every pub along Wadsley Bridge and Penistone Road starting at the White Horse at Wadsley Bridge and finishing in the Old Lighthorseman is there anyone else who was involved remember any of this?.

BRILLIANT POST !!!

Thanks for posting the pictures

I'm going to take a look and see if I recognise anyone - and if I do get them to post a hello !

Very nice - I bet the ladies where after you back in the 80's !

I was so tempted to superimpose you into an old Wham video or perhaps an episode of Coronation Street with Sally

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think jen who posted the earlier reply is in one of the pictures but I'm not saying which one I hope she can confirm this for me at some point.

hello there o my god i have some of them pictures i remember you and all the others and the things we did for charity, know some faces like lorraine and derek, harry gary and christine, bert and jean who used to put his teeth in his beer on new years eve and yes i'm the young good looking one in the picture ha ha

:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 of the best times was on bonfire night big bonfire, loads of fireworks, loads of food just an excuse to get drunk and a have a good time

The bonfire nights were excellent It always seemed to be freezing cold every single year too and those jacket potatoes which used to burn your fingers even If you were wearing gloves It always used to amaze me where all the wood came from to make such a huge fire each year.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest upperthorpe lady

Wait until I tell Lorraine & Derek they're on the net!!! lol

When I was a kid, I used to do Jean's paper round with her on the Kelvin, we lived a few doors away from the Doyles.

I'll let Andrea know she's on here aswe;; ;-)

I remember Lorraine and Derek I think Derek used to call her ' Laney ' or something like that fond memories!!!

i remember watching the sheffield star walk going past the pub and throwing sponges at them lollollollol lol

Guest daveyboy66

I remember going in there with my mum who used to play in the womens darts team at the Monkey so used to play there. It was always areally friendly pub with good ale

Guest daveyboy66

If you don't mind can you tell us what's your Mum's name daveyboy66???.

Doreen Hill, both of my brothers Mark and Simon used to pop in occasionally too

Guest senseisimon

I remember Lorraine and Derek I think Derek used to call her ' Laney ' or something like that fond memories!!!

I'm Simon Lorraine and Dereks Lad and yes he called her 'LANEY'

Guest senseisimon

i remember watching the sheffield star walk going past the pub and throwing sponges at them lollollollollol

Hi Jen

Remember me? I'm Simon Derek and Lorraines Lad