ROSE INN

deejayone

ROSE INN

627 Penistone Road, Sheffield 6

Site of where 'Garrison Motors' (Peugeot Dealership) is now.

INFORMATION

Originally closed to make way for a new KFC Drive-Thru that never materialised (and in the end was built futher down the road), a McDonalds franchise was also touted for the site - however they eventually moved in next-door, on the corner of the entrance to the Barracks/Morrisons.

The Rose Inn was built to serve the Hillsborough Barracks, being stationed right next-door to the old married-quarters (now also demolished). This pub played a part in the Sheffield Flood as a makeshift mortuary.

A personal memory was going to t'Rose of a Saturday night, and still being served long after closing time - it was one of the first places I'd ever sung karaoke. Occasionally, you'd see the odd Sheffield Wednesday player playing pool in the small area behind the bar on the way to the toilet.

I was present on the very last night the Rose was open, which was an emotional affair - at the end of a long night in the early hours of the morning, the landlord invited people to take almost anything they wanted as a souveneer of their memories of the pub. I have drunken memories of sitting outside watching a seemingly endless stream of people walking out with bar-mats, pictures from the wall, beer pumps, furniture and - bizarrely - the toilet pans. I'd be surprised if anything was left in the pub after that night as it appeared the punters gutted the place to take their own memories of t'Rose back home with them.

Guest stumps

When did this shut, I remember going in a pub down there after games when walking back to my Grans flat ont' Kelvin.

I've had a pint or 2 in there, didn't pinch anything though <innocent> - I'd probably left Sheffield by then, nice picture, Thank You.

Rose Inn, No. 627 Penistone Road. 6th October 1987.s22043.jpg.b180557759b7863f16b810ec0446a6fc.jpgs22043

Demolished 1997 after much controversy. The Historic Society of Bradfield, The Flood Group and Councillor argued the case it was one of the finest examples of a Garrison Pub and was used as a temporary mortuary after the Flood of 1864; in doing so contributing to the City Heritage, to no avail.

A memorial stone has since been erected. 

March 1991s22160.jpg.45a2692aeb439ffda1b2ee7d1f7cf3f3.jpgs22160

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t13907&pos=4&action=zoom&id=108370

The Rose Inn Memorial Stone, Penistone Road, Sheffield - geograph.org.uk - 1126131.jpg

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Rose_Inn_Memorial_Stone,_Penistone_Road,_Sheffield_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1126131.jpg

Rose Inn was one of the Public Houses (none of them named) in this extract from:

A Complete History of the Great Flood at Sheffield on March 11 & 12, 1864. Page 78 & 79.

"FINDING OF THE DEAD BODIES. 
..... We have already mentioned the particulars of the finding of several of the bodies of the victims of the flood, and it is not necessary to dwell at length on this painful part of the subject. The public houses along the road were made use of as receptacles for the corpses. At one house, fourteen dead bodies were placed in the stable. Several of them were much disfigured, and in some cases it was apparent that there had been a desperate struggle for life. At another public house seven dead bodies were deposited. One of them was the corpse of a beautiful young girl, about two years old, who had lifted up her little arms, as though attempting to shield herself by covering her face with her hands. One dead body was found on the branches of a tree, another was caught between a beam and the wall of a house. 

Everywhere along the route of the flood were to be seen parties of policemen, each carrying a mantled corpse to some neighbouring receptacle. Many of the bodies had to be literally dug out of the mud and debris in which they were embedded, and many were the painful scenes which were witnessed as first one limb was visible and then another, and at last the whole of the mangled remains of a man or woman which had been completely hidden and buried beneath an accumulation of rubbish. The body of a girl, about twelve years of age, was found cut in two, as though by a heavy piece of timber or machinery. Some of the bodies were swept away to great distances. Thirteen were found at Rotherham, three at Mexbro’, seven at Kilnhurst, and several at Doncaster, a distance of 27 miles from the reservoir. 

In two days after the occurrence of the flood, no less than 156 bodies had 
been discovered. After that time they were found separately, or by twos and threes, for a long period. Some were found six weeks and two months after the flood, and even at that time there were supposed to be more than a score bodies still unrecovered. 

THE IDENTIFICATION OF THE BODIES. 
A large proportion of the dead were conveyed to the Sheffield Workhouse, and there laid out for identification. The total number taken to the Workhouse in a few days was 118, which number was increased from time to time as more were found. 

Persons who had lost their friends were invited to the Workhouse to identify the remains of missing relatives and acquaintances. The scene was one which cannot be adequately described. The dead lay in closely-packed rows in five rooms. They were laid on straw, and covered by a sheet. The bodies presented every possible appearance........"