Memories of Sheffield Christmas Past !!!

Sheffield History

Ok then

It's that time of year so lets hear them

What are your memories of Sheffield's past Christmases

The lights

The tree outside the Town Hall

Your local pub events and memories

And anything else you can think of !

Over to you....

Guest salejackie

Ok then

It's that time of year so lets hear them

What are your memories of Sheffield's past Christmases

Over to you....

As a small child in the 50's staying with my grandparents on Petre Street sharing a bedroom with parents and brother. Waking about 6am and trying to feel the presents through the pillowcase without waking up mum and dad! Could never do it quietly enough!! The church bells ringing out from across the road. Roaring coal fire - going to the loo across the yard in the freezing cold. Getting the tram up to Sheffield Lane top to visit an aunty for tea. lovely memories

I remember that every year as soon as they switched on the illuniations that a gale force wind would come out of nowhere and seem to damage half of them lol Having said that I do miss them and the coloured lights they had round the Goodwin fountain that seemed to make the water change colour every few minutes.

Childhood memories include:

Visiting Father Christmas in his grotto at Castle House,

The pristine pages of the Topical Times football annual(quickly turning to the colour pictures to see if any Owls players had made it),

The Skippy bar in the selection box (what ever happened to them),

Both Morcombe & Wise and mike Yarwwod Christmas specials along with the "BIG" film,

"Eatme" dates with the long plastic fork,

The TV Times & Radio times special issues (we only had them at Christmas)

Going to the match on Boxing Day (especially 1979, although I was 24 then lol )

The smell of cigar smoke

I usually went to Castle House to see Santa

However one year I was really spoiled silly and taken to Debenhams for the 'upper class' experience

lol

I remember sitting in the train that they built and going on a 10 minute ride to see him

It was years later that I realised that we were sat still and that the things we saw out of the window were simply rolls of repeating artwork of lands far away

lol

Magical though

My memories of Christmas as a child growing up in 70's Sheffield are: (Of course) going to Redgates on a Saturday in the weeks leading up to Christmas and making a list of want I'd like, if I was lucky enough! The Sunday trip into town to see the lights and for some reason they always looked spectacular then! Christmas Eve was brilliant. The excitement almost unbearable. On Christmas Eve night we'd make our usual trip to The Attercliffe Radical Club or "The Rads" and meet up with friends and family. We'd always take sandwiches, pork pie, sausage rolls, black pudding (yuk!) pickled onions etc and have a good old knees up. We'd have to get there really early, something like 6 o'clock to get a seat - that's probably why we took our tea! Then they'd be our walk home with friends and family, laughing and joking and the excitement of the kids building as we got nearer home, anxious to get to bed and get to sleep before Father Christmas came! Brilliant! Now I'm all grown up with 2 kids of my own and the magic is still there although it'll never be the same as growing up down the 'cliffe! I tell my lad all the time how much he would have loved it down there. There was so much community spirit, which seemed to be even more at Christmas time - you don't seem to get that anymore.

Merry Christmas to all at Sheffield History!

First time I've heard of the Radical Club

What was that all about ?

In fact - I'm going to start another thread on it because no doubt we'll be able to find out a bit about it..

Memories:-

As A Child

Visiting Santa in the Sheffield and Ecclesall Co-op with my Grandad on Christmas Eve.

Grannies Christmas lunch cooked on the range

Going in the frontroom at grandparents house, this room was reserved for Christmas and Christenings and eventually funerals

Snowball drinks

Eating too many chocs and not beeing able to eat dinner

The men coming in from the pub late for dinner

Falling asleep at family parties and waking up in a strange bed, then being carried home to bed.

As A Teenager

Christmas kisses

Teenage house parties

Slade/ Mud/Roy Wood

Party Seven

Visiting Santa at Coop (did every one do that?)

Writing a note to santa at Aunties cause she had a coal fire an she sent the note up the chimney in the updraft. Magical.

Using the money that I had been given to buy exactly what I wanted from Redgates

Xmas day tea at Grandmas, walking from Handsworth to Darnall because there wasnt any buses running, and the smell of cucumber and home made pickled onions as we walked thro the door, eggnog (whats in that stuff?) and walking back late singing carols with all the other drunks that were doing the same route. Rubbing balloons on your jumper and sticking them on the wall with static. Watching someone blow those long balloons up, that everone had tried and failed to blow up, turning a nice shade of scarlet as the tried.

Leaving a mince pie and Brandy for Santa not forgetting a carrot for Rudolf. Do you remember those big chocolate foiled coins that Santa turned over when he had been. Leaving a pillowcase on the end of the bed for Santa to fill. Satsumas, didnt like much fruit but always liked Satsumas.

Morcombe and Wise of course, buying Radio Times (never buy it any other time, still buy it now) Two Ronnies and Generation Game Christmas specials. 007 Boxing day or Great Escape.

Sprouts..........and the after effects.............letting rip on the way to Grandmas he he

Not forgetting the Queens speech.

Sue

Aye the Castle House Father Christmas was always the highlight as a nipper. As I got older, going out for a few pints in the Golden Ball, and then down Hillsborough. Good fun.

I just got back from a pub over here, and there were 4 people in!!!!!!!!!!

Its not the same here in anyway shape or form!!!!!!!!! :(

Aye the Castle House Father Christmas was always the highlight as a nipper. As I got older, going out for a few pints in the Golden Ball, and then down Hillsborough. Good fun.

I just got back from a pub over here, and there were 4 people in!!!!!!!!!!

Its not the same here in anyway shape or form!!!!!!!!! :(

I know the feeling. The worst thing is there is not a single pub open here tomorrow. I really miss that lunchtime drink on Christmas Day

Guest carlie167

I remember writing a list and sending it up the chimney to Santa, putting the mince pie, milk and carrot out by the fireplace for Santa, did I think he only had one reindeer!!!!!!!!!!!. Then standing at the door listening for sleighbells. Seems as if times were far more innocent but its probably just that memories get softened by time. Anyway I had happy christmases as a child, and still listen out for sleighbells now!! :):) :)

Guest witch74

When i was young one place stands out in my mind as the best place to visit father christmas! Debenhams on the moor early 80s! You got on a train and it seemed like you were on a real journey dead exciting when you were young! At the end a short walk round a winter wonderland and there he was good old santa with a present for you and pretty decent toys if i remember rightly.They just don't seem the same nowadays.

When i was young one place stands out in my mind as the best place to visit father christmas! Debenhams on the moor early 80s! You got on a train and it seemed like you were on a real journey dead exciting when you were young! At the end a short walk round a winter wonderland and there he was good old santa with a present for you and pretty decent toys if i remember rightly.They just don't seem the same nowadays.

Before they built the ManPower building and the Moor continues through to the junction of Ecclesall Road and London Road, there used to be a grotto on the left going down with a real forest. Actually it was a load of Christmas trees.

Also the B & C Co-Op always put a good show

My memories must go back to the early 70's at Debenhams, Maybe it was still Pauldens? any way the best present I got from Father Christmas's grotto was "Glow Globs". It was a transluscent modelling clay that glowed in the dark. Had hours of fun with it! lol

Castle House was THE place to go. Iremember the queue going all the way down the stairs. I even remember getting a box of Metal Puzzles as my gift one year. I wonder if they still make them???

Guest nosy nellie

When I was a small child there were no Castle House or shops on the Moor,nothing much in town only bombed buildings so I cannot remember going to see Santa or grotto;s.But I always remember having fabulous family christmases what I call proper christmasses when all that mattered was that the whole family was together,not a lot of money,sweets still on ration,but all the goodies like buns and pastry were all home made and tasted a lot better than all the supermarket fare that they have these days.Plenty of laughter and singing.Also the small carpet was rolled back so the grown ups could have a dance.We also went mummering at night and were welcomed into neighbours houses and given home made mince pies and a small drink.

OMG I remeber that!!! One time I remember you went on some sort of train like those 3d rides you see at the seaside, those space shuttle rides except this was more like a sleigh ride..it really felt like you was on a journey to see santa!

Guest Tigeratplay

The Christmas Lights in the City Centre during the 1960's and 1970's were like nothing we'd seen before or since. The were great and all over the centre of town - not just a few scraps tied to the lamposts, but loads and loads of lights and beautiful displays. Would take ages to get round and look at em all. The department stores back then also went to town with their window displays, unlike the tatt that;s turned out up and down the country today, which looks the same in every town and city... Happy days. ;-)

The Christmas Lights in the City Centre during the 1960's and 1970's were like nothing we'd seen before or since. The were great and all over the centre of town - not just a few scraps tied to the lamposts, but loads and loads of lights and beautiful displays. Would take ages to get round and look at em all. The department stores back then also went to town with their window displays, unlike the tatt that;s turned out up and down the country today, which looks the same in every town and city... Happy days. ;-)

You will enjoy looking at the pictures in this thread

Christmas illuminations