Wardsend Cemetery

Sheffield History

Guest mrladlow

I am not sure if I have posted this on this site (it is on the Sheffield Indexers site). It is a version of a map Richard posted earlier in the thread, with the sections added (not drawn accurately to scale):

In the NP section, the OLDHAM graves are in the long thin narrow section of the three.

Hugh

hugh do you know of any other points of interest in the grave yard? i was there today having a snoop fell n my ass a few times. i found the open grave at the front and what i think was left of the chapel? could you help me? some friends and i are going down @ the dead of night sometime to see if we can capture any activity!!! is the area haunted? any info would be greatly appriciated.

mrladlow

hugh do you know of any other points of interest in the grave yard? i was there today having a snoop fell n my ass a few times. i found the open grave at the front and what i think was left of the chapel? could you help me? some friends and i are going down @ the dead of night sometime to see if we can capture any activity!!! is the area haunted? any info would be greatly appriciated.

mrladlow

For me a cemetery is full of stories waiting to be discovered, but I don't know if they are the sort of stories you are looking for. Have you read the story earlier in this thread about the riot and the so-called grave robbing? There are some Sheffield Flood victims, some unidentified. Lots of military graves, including WW1 soldiers in graves that would be war graves if the cemetery wasn't derelict.

Years ago I was there at dusk with a writers' group. We felt we were being watched and eventually saw two dark shapes in the trees - a pair of tawny owls.

Hugh

Guest mrladlow

For me a cemetery is full of stories waiting to be discovered, but I don't know if they are the sort of stories you are looking for. Have you read the story earlier in this thread about the riot and the so-called grave robbing? There are some Sheffield Flood victims, some unidentified. Lots of military graves, including WW1 soldiers in graves that would be war graves if the cemetery wasn't derelict.

Years ago I was there at dusk with a writers' group. We felt we were being watched and eventually saw two dark shapes in the trees - a pair of tawny owls.

Hugh

yeah i saw it, really interesting. we are gonna go to a feww other places. know anywhere else with the same magic? gonna check out the new plot area this week didn't know it existed when i went.

A quote from Admins post #1,

"Wardsend dates back as far as 1161 and was then called wereldesend.(relating to a forest clearing), by 1336 the spelling had been changed to Werlsend and by 1388 it was call Wordesent.

Wardsend House was built on this site in 1477 and stood for 400 years,before being demolished in 1957."

Looks like it may be a typo, these last couple of dates are not quite right?

Guest Gramps

A quote from Admins post #1,

"Wardsend dates back as far as 1161 and was then called wereldesend.(relating to a forest clearing), by 1336 the spelling had been changed to Werlsend and by 1388 it was call Wordesent.

Wardsend House was built on this site in 1477 and stood for 400 years,before being demolished in 1957."

Looks like it may be a typo, these last couple of dates are not quite right?

The Rootsweb page that Admin linked to isn't there anymore, but yes it should be 480 years. Wardsend House was demolished I think when the brewery distribution centre/warehouse was built, but I'm not sure of the date; and I believe the old waterwheel buildings went at the same time.

The house that the Rawsons built in the 18th. century replaced an earlier farmhouse.

[bTW I have my attachment panel back - thanks ;-) ]

The Rootsweb page that Admin linked to isn't there anymore, but yes it should be 480 years. Wardsend House was demolished I think when the brewery distribution centre/warehouse was built, but I'm not sure of the date; and I believe the old waterwheel buildings went at the same time.

The house that the Rawsons built in the 18th. century replaced an earlier farmhouse.

[bTW I have my attachment panel back - thanks ;-) ]

Thanks Gramps.

Guest Gramps

I am not sure if I have posted this on this site (it is on the Sheffield Indexers site). It is a version of a map Richard posted earlier in the thread, with the sections added (not drawn accurately to scale):

In the NP section, the OLDHAM graves are in the long thin narrow section of the three.

Hugh

The really interesting thing about that plan is the 'slag heap area'...perhaps the site of the 16th. century Wadsley Bridge blast furnace, which I think is still uncertain ?

Anyway two further plans of the cemetery area. The 1902 OS map shows the situation of the Mortuary Chapel and the 1855 map has the footbridge already there before the cemetery.

On the 1902 map there is a footpath subway shown under the railway line giving access to Old Park Wood, - is that still there ?

The really interesting thing about that plan is the 'slag heap area'...perhaps the site of the 16th. century Wadsley Bridge blast furnace, which I think is still uncertain ?

The slag is from the Neepsend Power Station. (Picture Sheffield image) It spills over into the cemetery and may cover some graves.

On the 1902 map there is a footpath subway shown under the railway line giving access to Old Park Wood, - is that still there ?

The slagheaps now have lots of landfill over them, They come right down to Club Mill Lane and cover the footpath leading to the 'subway'. There might be some sign of the subway the other side of the railway.

Hugh

Guest Gramps

The slag is from the Neepsend Power Station. (Picture Sheffield image) It spills over into the cemetery and may cover some graves.

The slagheaps now have lots of landfill over them, They come right down to Club Mill Lane and cover the footpath leading to the 'subway'. There might be some sign of the subway the other side of the railway.

Hugh

Thanks for bringing me down to earth Hugh, - I'd completely forgotten about the power station.

The path from Penrith road running down past the allotments seems to be the same path that led to the subway on the 1902 map.

http://www.earthtools.org/index.php?x=-1.4...=7&m=Hybrid

Hugh

The last sighting of the top subway entrance was an iron manhole type covering about four feet square, would imagine long gone, you walked accross it as part of the public footpath at the side of the railway.

There also used to be a cableway that went across the railway to dump the waste from the power station(black ashes).

Guest darcy

I've received a letter from David Blunkett regarding the future of Wardsend Cemetery.

he agrees the place has fallen into considerable disrepair and has recently met with the Friends of Wardsend and City Council Officers to discuss the place. The council have a 10 year renewal and development scheme for Parkwood Springs- and the curtailage which includes Wardsend Cemetery.

Unfortunately the regeneration interested in Wardsend Cemetery has coincided with the economic downturn and the consequent enormous restriction on future public expenditure. It is therefore going to be a longer term project.

Nevertheless Mr Blunkett does think that voluntary action backed by both the City Council and possible future Lottery grants could go some way. As would the re-engagement of the Church of England.

Its is comforting to know that at least plans do exist to redevelop the area even if it will be a slow process. I'm sure raising awareness of the cemetery and a bit of public pressure on the Council will help........

Guest mexy02

hello

i hope you dont mind me posting here. My husband and i stumbled upon Wardsend today after visiting coopers and i was shocked and curious to see a graveyard in the car park. We had a quick walk around to read a few graves, and then my husband pointed out the open grave to which i wanted to leave even though still curious, so i came home to do a bit of research as we had no idea what the graveyard was. Then i found this site and its so fascinating.

Has anyone gone to the sheffield star about this place to report what the church/council/mps are letting it fall beyond disrepair??? This could be our graves in 100 years time with people discussing us. It a disgrace and so disrespectful that it is just left in this manner. As i have read many people have relatives buried here. As for the soldiers is this what they fought and gave their lives for to be left in an untendered grave yard. I am from rotherham but believe this should be looked after. When we pay for loved ones to be buried shouldn't they be looked after even in death??? i think the soldier stories will stir more emotions given the currnet climate in the world

An "interesting perambulation" this Friday 14 August around Wardsend, led by the "Friends of Wardsend"

http://www.thestar.co.uk/letters/Join-our-...oric.5542153.jp

Hi

I went on the "perambulation" it was very interesting but sad.

I can't see them ever tidying all this up, it should never have got to this stage.

They need plenty of helpers and funding. David Blunkett made a short visit too.

I wonder if we should make an appeal to the Lottery. :(

Here are some photographs.

These are gravestone not bushes.

Hugh

The slag heap area used to be separated from the graveyard by a iron fenced path about eight feet wide that ran from the railway footbridge(now demolished) to near the main gates.

Guest jimbob jnr

Hello there,

i've lived in sheffield nearly 30years and never knew about wardsend, been up there for the first time today, it's interesting but sad all at the same time. Took a few photo's and had a walk around, is any of the chapel building still evident ?

Thanks Jim

I did notice signs of a footprint of a building in there....

As you walk down Club Mill Road towards Coopers and glance to your right at the first sighting of a gravestone there's a flat area surrounded by trees. if you scramble about in there you'll notice bits of old wall and signs of old gateposts. I also noticed bits of old iron fence stuck up here and there.

Guest simon38

I was up there today with my wife and kids and we had a great morning looking at and reading some of the great old head stones.

Does anybody know what happened to the sexton that was robbing the graves. My money is on hanging.

The last time i went to wardsend cemetery the old stone bridge was still standing. i know it fell down in the floods the other year, is the new bridge in the same place? as i want to have a look round the cemetery some time this weekend

mick

The last time i went to wardsend cemetery the old stone bridge was still standing. i know it fell down in the floods the other year, is the new bridge in the same place? as i want to have a look round the cemetery some time this weekend

mick

Mick see posts in this topic including post #94 and the link to the Star article.

Guest simon38

mick

Yes the new bridge is in the same place.

I saw this Hugh, would have taken ten minutes to straighten the stone out of the way :angry:

Without using a gantry to lift the stone safely it would be a bit difficult, bottom of that headstone, the foundation stone will be about 3ft long and 1.5ft x 1.5ft thick. We put a fence up like that around a cemetery not long ago, and if we had done that to a headstone :angry: .....we'd be sacked!

mick

Without using a gantry to lift the stone safely it would be a bit difficult, bottom of that headstone the foundation stone will be about 4ft long and 1.5ft x 1.5ft thick. We put a fence up like that around a cemetery not long ago, and if we had done that to a headstone :angry: .....we'd be sacked!

mick

Are the friends of wardsend cemetery still active? if so who's in charge?