Wardsend Cemetery

Sheffield History

Wardsend Cemetery has a distinct military influence due to its close proximity to Hillsborough Barracks. The obelisk monument commemorates the soldiers of 6th, 19th, 24th, 33rd, 51st, 55th Regiments of Foot, Victorian Army, who died whilst at Hillsborough Barracks during the period 1866 - 1869.

A friend has kindly sent me this photograph of the obelisk.

Strange going on now too I think

Since I last posted I have had various conversations and now have it confirmed that the Friends are no more. The cemetery is still under the control of the Sheffield Diocese who seem to have completely forgotten about it. I have reminded them and await their response

Chris

I have been reminded that I am still waiting a response., so I ve just reminded the Sheffield Diocese

Chris

A year ago, I said Club Mill Road was going to be a gonna ... too many traffic lights for a single lane bridge to nowhere... great pictures BTW, Thank You

Difficult to take "long" shots, anyone tried from the top of the hill ????

Went to Coopers Scrap Yard yesterday (the long way round) and saw the New Bridge.

It's well on the way to being finished

Richard said he thought that there were possibly plans to develope the area.

Looking at size and quality of the build, I wouldn't be supprised. It's a wide bridge of steel and stone. Not what you'd build if it was just for utillity purpose. I stood and looked around for a while but for some unknown reason I didn't take a picture ???

I'm going back for a work in progress one before it's too late.

I made the same mistake after the flood. Went down and saw the ruined bridge but - no photo???

If anyone has a picture of the old bridge before or after the flood damage (or maybe both) I'll try to take one from the same angle so it'll make a "then and now" or maybe even a "then, then and now"

I think the only place I'll be able to take a photo while they're still working will be from the Clubmill side of the river.

Guest darcy

I had a walk up there yesterday and also thought the new bridge does seem to be a bit substantial to just service Coopers. I also spotted 3 official looking guys looking around further down Club Mill Road taking pictures. They will have to shift a few tons of fly tipping before they start developing though!

It was my first visit to the Cemetary and I found it really moving. Firstly because you get a real sense of the hardship people went through at that time, especially seeing graves of young children. But mainly I was angered by the sheer lack of respect whoever is responsible for the site is showing by letting it get so bad!

Someone really needs to take responsibilty for the cemetary and, if not restore it to its former glory then at least tidy it up.

Imagine the outcry if a major cemetary such as City Road was left to get so bad. The only difference is Wardsend is out of sight.

I did notice that someone has made a token effort and cut back some of the ivy growing over the headstones but obviously needs much more.

The final insult to the "residents" is the stockpile of empty beer cans I noticed filling one of the larger opened graves. Not nice.

Someone really needs to take responsibility for the cemetary and, if not restore it to its former glory then at least tidy it up.

THankyou and can we now have some action on this from somewhere or other.

I have some things to report

Firstly, the cemetery is still with the Sheffield Diocese it is not a closedf cemetery.

Secondly, the Probation Service run a scheme for clearing and maintaining graveyards,

Thirdly, money was given to the so - called Friends and very little of what was promised was achieved.

Fourthly the blessed place is sitting next to a landfill site and it should be possible to get funding through that, its where the Friends got it from.

I have been in touch with just about everybody who could have anything remotely to do with the cemetery or who could help in any way and basically been ignored. People never get back to you about anything or lie.

What's to do next then suggestions please!!!!

Guest darcy

Frustrating isn't it!?

I've just sent an email to Angela Smith who is the MP for Hillsborough highlighting the situation. I'll update with any reply I receive.

I think the main problem is the lack of awareness of the cemetary by local people. If more people knew about it and its history there would be far more support.

So anyone who reads this forum please pass it on to as many people as possible!

Ron Clayton, who led a walk round Wardsend last weekend (part of Environment Weeks), said that that the Council will shortly be taking over responsibility for the cemetery.

Hugh

Guest Gramps

snip---

If anyone has a picture of the old bridge before or after the flood damage (or maybe both) I'll try to take one from the same angle so it'll make a "then and now" or maybe even a "then, then and now"

I think the only place I'll be able to take a photo while they're still working will be from the Clubmill side of the river.

There are pics of the old bridge and the flood damage on Sheffield Picture.com.

The Sheffield & District Family History Society recorded all the legible MIs about 30 years ago - they're probably available in Local Studies or direct from the S&D FHS direct on digital media.

Frustrating isn't it!?

I've just sent an email to Angela Smith who is the MP for Hillsborough highlighting the situation. I'll update with any reply I receive.

I think the main problem is the lack of awareness of the cemetary by local people. If more people knew about it and its history there would be far more support.

So anyone who reads this forum please pass it on to as many people as possible!

Over the last 18 months I have written or emailed to Angela Smith, the councillors for the area, the Chief Exec, the Council Leader, and Sheffield Diocesan Board and you name it, and when I have had a the courtesy of a reply it has usually been a brief acknowledgement and a promise of further action which never materialised. So I wish you the best of luck, although,cynically, I suppose you might have a better chance because of looming Eorupean elections and the current furore over MPs expenses.

Guest darcy

I received a reply from Angela Smith expressing concern but pointing out the area is not in her constituency. It comes under David Blunkett's patch. I emailed David Blunkett and received a reply from his assistant saying Mr Blunkett did have a meeting with members of the local community where Wardsend Cemetery was discussed. She would make him aware of my concerns and is sure he will be interested in the points raised.

The email was also forwarded to Ron Clayton from the Friends of Wardsend Cemetery who sent me a couple of emails last night.

In the first mail he said he recently visited Wardsend and subsequently re-raised issues with Mr Blunkett himself. He also mentioned that there are currently only 3 active members of the friends of wardsend Cemetery remaining and is trying to resurrect the group via the local history society etc..... I'm sure if anyone would like to get involved he'd apreciate the help???? Anyone?

And in his second mail he mentions the good news- the Council are taking over responsibility for the Cemetery and he has got some support from various groups for a funding bid.

The email was also forwarded to Ron Clayton from the Friends of Wardsend Cemetery who sent me a couple of emails last night.

In the first mail he said he recently visited Wardsend and subsequently re-raised issues with Mr Blunkett himself. He also mentioned that there are currently only 3 active members of the friends of wardsend Cemetery remaining and is trying to resurrect the group via the local history society etc..... I'm sure if anyone would like to get involved he'd apreciate the help???? Anyone?

And in his second mail he mentions the good news- the Council are taking over responsibility for the Cemetery and he has got some support from various groups for a funding bid.

Well done darcy,

and thanks for the update.

Call me a cynic, but now I know that there's is an election looming.

As an old Sheffield observer, I am concerned that there is no publicity about this or if so I have missed it. Are we going to have a repeat performance of the previous Friends?

I have emailed Ron Clayton this morning

IN addition I have had emails from Paul Scrivens, Council leader. and the Sheffield Diocese I hae also been in touch with the National Association of Cemetery Friends who confirm that there has been no correspondence from the Friends since 2006, so who are these 3 active members? The website no longer functions, and the telephone numbers I have from 3 years ago no longer work.

The new bridge has me seriously worried about what's in store.

Chris

quote'Virus' May 4 2007, 10:59 AM' post 6315

I found this on the excellent site "Historic Hillsborough", is it the building you're after? Looks a bit big to me but you never know!

I remember the first time I went to Wardsend Cemetery with my dad it would be around 1948, the Chapel was still there then as I can remember being lifted up to look through a broken window and seeing the organ. The cottages in the picture are still there and are at the side of the Five Arches on Herries road, Wardsend House is a bit further north and shown on the attached map. [anyone recommend a good scanner?] W/E.

I found this on the excellent site "Historic Hillsborough", is it the building you're after? Looks a bit big to me but you never know!

I remember the first time I went to Wardsend Cemetery with my dad it would be around 1948, the Chapel was still there then as I can remember being lifted up to look through a broken window and seeing the organ. The cottages in the picture are still there and are at the side of the Five Arches on Herries road, Wardsend House is a bit further north and shown on the attached map. [anyone recommend a good scanner?] W/E.

Hi Waterside Echo,

the quality of your scan is OK,

it just needed lighening up a bit.

Don't forget it's an old map and even the best scanner on the market

can't add whats not already there.

[anyone recommend a good scanner?] W/E.

Hi Waterside Echo,

the quality of your scan is OK,

it just needed lighening up a bit.

Don't forget it's an old map and even the best scanner on the market

can't add whats not already there.

Having said that W.E. - if you, or anybody else, decide you do need a scanner, I've got a redundant one free to a good home. MusteK - USB with the software disc etc. It will eventually get slung if no one wants it. I just bought a printer with a scanner included.

Having said that W.E. - if you, or anybody else, decide you do need a scanner, I've got a redundant one free to a good home. MusteK - USB with the software disc etc. It will eventually get slung if no one wants it. I just bought a printer with a scanner included.
Hi `vox. Thankyou for the reply. I will PM you my email address. Regards, W/E

That's quite detailed map W/E

any objections to me copying it into the 'Other Maps/Plans/Layouts' Topic?

`SteveHB` No objections at all. The fact is I do not have a scanner [though `vox` has kindly offered me one] and I have been using my camera to photo items then downloading to my computor. I had to fold the map to enable me to do this so the top 1/4 part is not shown. I will try and get the whole bit I have on later this week. Regards, W/E.

`SteveHB` No objections at all. The fact is I do not have a scanner [though `vox` has kindly offered me one] and I have been using my camera to photo items then downloading to my computor. I had to fold the map to enable me to do this so the top 1/4 part is not shown. I will try and get the whole bit I have on later this week. Regards, W/E.

Thank you,

will wait a bit then.

Any problems with regards to scanning maps ask RichardB,

He's an expert!

lol

Hi `SteveHB .` Will download rest of map today. W/E.

Hi,

All of you good people who have been to the cemetery, have any of you got among your photos a copy of a grave for Eliza Oldham died January 1956? She was my great Auntie and I know she is buried in there somewhere but never got up to have a look and after reading the threads here dont know if I dare !!!

:o

Karen

Hi `SteveHB` I will try and find the rest of the map. W/E.

All of you good people who have been to the cemetery, have any of you got among your photos a copy of a grave for Eliza Oldham died January 1956? She was my great Auntie and I know she is buried in there somewhere but never got up to have a look and after reading the threads here dont know if I dare !!!

Karen

hello Karen,

Eliza is buried in grave NP258 where NP stands for 'New Portion'. This is the area above the railway which was opened in 1900. The relatively low number means this is between the main path (above) and the railway (below). I don't have a photo (yet) but this is the inscription:

In loving memory of Ernest the beloved husband of Mary Ellen OLDHAM

who died 17th August 1940 aged 41 years

“His memory is as sweet today

As in the hour he passed away”

Also Eliza OLDHAM dearly loved mother of the above who died 6th January

1956 aged 86 years

“Now at last with your son you rest

God bless you dear mother you was one of the best”

Also Mary Ellen OLDHAM wife of the above who died 2nd September 1968

aged 77 years

My plan says that the adjacent grave NP257 is also an OLDHAM grave. The name I have noted is James OLDHAM. This is not in the published inscriptions so I don't have any further details.

If you do go, be prepared to be shocked by the state of the New Portion. For several years deep bracken has grown over the area and each summer, when the bracken is dry, someone sets fire to it. Many memorials have been damaged by these fires.

I will be getting down to wardsend in the near future (when we get some proper dry weather) and I will see if I can get a photo of these graves. Meanwhile, if you would like to pm me an email address I will send you some plans (which are works in progress and are bound to include mistakes)

Hugh

I am not sure if I have posted this on this site (it is on the Sheffield Indexers site). It is a version of a map Richard posted earlier in the thread, with the sections added (not drawn accurately to scale):

In the NP section, the OLDHAM graves are in the long thin narrow section of the three.

Hugh

Hi `SteveHB .` Will download rest of map today. W/E.

W/E,

I have added the compleated map into 'Other Maps/Plans/Layouts'

Thanks for that.