THE ROYAL HOTEL

Sheffield History

THE ROYAL HOTEL

The Royal Hotel, Penistone Road, Owlerton, Sheffield 6

INFORMATION

Was closed and demolished for the road widening scheme. The area is now a drive thru Kentucky Fried Chicken !

PICTURES

That's the one that used to be on the corner of Owlerton Green and Penistone Road, where Swann Morton's is now, isn't it?

Was it demolished for road widening, or before that?

That's the one I was telling you about the other day on here - big dark smoky place facing B&Q/Owlerton Track

Guest codeyes

That's the one I was telling you about the other day on here - big dark smoky place facing B&Q/Owlerton Track

The Sportsmans Group was on next corner down wasn't it??

hi guys , can anybody remember what they used to call the little pub that used to be where lilys bakery or round about there .

(opp newboulds bakery i think)

You mean the Lily's bakery that stands today (and sells the world's best oven bottom breadcakes ?)

think i remember the name .. the vic .. might be wrong , also i can remember the old light horseman ,penistone rd , but i carn't for the life of me remember where it was , its one of those memorys that had gone forever , untill i spotted it on this excellent site .

it's prob one of many thats gone..... like the old penistone rd before it was widened , just old memories that this site keeps bringing back.....brilliant..

Hi Tobybongo !

Thanks for posting

It's the contributions that keep the site interesting so feel free to post your memories on any subject on the site and help the site grow

On 18/03/2007 at 19:25, tobybongo said:

think i remember the name .. the vic .. might be wrong , also i can remember the old light horseman ,penistone rd , but i carn't for the life of me remember where it was , its one of those memorys that had gone forever , untill i spotted it on this excellent site .

it's prob one of many thats gone..... like the old penistone rd before it was widened , just old memories that this site keeps bringing back.....brilliant..

Was the Old Lighthorseman on the opposite side of the road to Lily's etc?

On 18/03/2007 at 19:25, tobybongo said:

On 26/03/2020 at 10:52, Sheffield History said:

Was the Old Lighthorseman on the opposite side of the road to Lily's etc?

image.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brian Eastell said:

The other pub near the Royal Hotel was the sportsman 

Ah thank you Brian!
Welcome to the site too!

The pubs on Penistone Rd.

The pub near the Royal was called the Sportsmans group. The Light Horsemen was on the same side towards town The royal lancers was on the corner across the road were now the offices are still called the Lancers. Between the SG and the LH stood the Rose where the car sales is. Across the road was the Cambridge. Nearer Neepsend there was the Don and the Owl. I can't remember exactly, but I am not talking about the Farfield which later became the Owl.