Unusual Motorcycle built in Sheffield.

Guest neracar-ken

Guest neracar-ken

Back in the 1921-1922 era, the Directors of Sheffield Simplex, who built prestigious cars that rivalled Rolls Royce prior to WW1, wanted something to build in the factories that had been used for armaments etc. during the war. They got a Licence to build an unusual motorcycle called a Ner-a-Car, which was designed by an American, Carl A. Neracher. It seems that they built an extra building at the Tinsley Works to produce them, and also moved two aircraft hangars from Doncaster Aerodrome to Finningley/Blaxton to use as Assembly Shops. One still remains intact, by Blaxton railway station, and has an unusual Belfast Truss roof structure.

You can see more about these, together with an abbreviated history, on my website, http://neracar.co.uk.

The Kelham Island branch of the Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust has two models on display, although neither of these was actually built in Sheffield. I was privileged to have the two-stroke model, WB 7160, on loan for the summers of 2001 and 2002. I subsequently rode it in the 2001 Banbury Run, an event for pre-1931 motorcycles held by the Vintage Motor Cycle Club, where we had ELEVEN of these competing in the 80th year since their introduction.

There is a short movie of me riding it just after recomissioning it at my home in 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn_wDPWZ6-k

Guest carlie167

Hi neracar- ken, and welcome. Thought you might like to see this picture we took of a Ner a Car motorcycle at Kelham Island Museum, I think it was about 1983 or thereabouts. I never knew until then that Sheffield produced motorbikes, so, see what you think. :) :)

Guest neracar-ken

Hi neracar- ken, and welcome. Thought you might like to see this picture we took of a Ner a Car motorcycle at Kelham Island Museum, I think it was about 1983 or thereabouts. I never knew until then that Sheffield produced motorbikes, so, see what you think. :):)

Yep, that's the one that I'm riding in the video on Youtube. That must have been taken just after it was donated by the previous owner, Frank Wood. He owned it from the early 1960's until he donated it. I don't think it was actually ridden from your photo until they lent it to me for the summer of 2001.

They also have another one, a 4-stroke model, TT5850.

Guest carlie167

Glad you liked the photo, just watched the clip of you on you tube, must say ,you look to be having a good time. :) :)

Guest neracar-ken

Yep, as you might of guessed, I'm a Ner-a-Car anorak! I always enjoy riding my own, although rides are very few now, I'm afraid - my fault, not the bikes!

Guest waxonwaxoff

Hi neracar- ken, and welcome. Thought you might like to see this picture we took of a Ner a Car motorcycle at Kelham Island Museum, I think it was about 1983 or thereabouts. I never knew until then that Sheffield produced motorbikes, so, see what you think. :):)

Hi carlie wold it be ok to copy this picture? My partner is trying to put a collection together for his grandad. Frank wood who used to own the bike.

Thank you

You can see more about these, together with an abbreviated history, on my website, http://neracar.co.uk.

This Came as a bit of a shock!

quote; Martin Philp 11th September 2009

"Sadly my father Ken Philp passed away earlier today.

I intend to keep his Model A on the road and this site running as a source of information to all those interested in the Neracar motorcycle, and may add any interesting items to it. However I do not have his depth of knowledge of the bike so will not be able to answer queries.

Martin Philp"

RIP Ken