THE ALL SEEING I / I MONSTER

deejayone

THE ALL SEEING I / I MONSTER

INFORMATION

Not one of the most immediate names you think of when thinking of Sheffield music, but it's almost guaranteed that All Seeing I and I Monster's music will have touched you at some point.

One entry for 2 bands is quite deserved, as effectively they are quite the same in many respects, with a very similar musical style and both masterminded, in effect, by Sheffielder Dean Honer.

The All Seeing I are an English electronic music group from Sheffield, comprising Dean Honer, Jason Buckle and DJ Parrot (real name Richard Barratt). I Monster is a British electronic music group, comprising of Sheffield based producers Dean Honer and Jarrod Gosling.

Both groups formed in 1997, however it was The All Seeing I's turn to make the big-time first, with their re-hash of the classic song 'Walk Like A Panther' getting to number 10 in the charts in 1998. Tony Christie lent his vocals to the song to score this hit, several years before Peter Kay would help him make it big again. Before the release of 'Walk Like A Panther', however, they released a version of Sonny And Cher's 'Beat Goes On', which was commercially successful and ended up with Britney Spears' people asking them to produce a version of it for her debut album 'Baby One More Time'.

All Seeing I were famous around the city for using native Sheffielders on the vocals of their songs, such as the aforementioned Christie, and also Jarvis Cocker, Phil Oakey and Babybird. Their regular live vocalist was Bozz, who later went on to form electronica duo Hiem. The follow up to 'Walk Like A Panther' was 'First Man In Space', vocalled by Oakey which entered the charts at number 28.

Jason Buckle went on to be a part-time member of Fat Truckers and formed Relaxed Muscle with Jarvis Cocker and Richard Hawley. He also has a brief cameo as one of the Weird Sisters rock band in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, along with Jarvis Cocker.

Due to Dean Honer's successful involvement with All Seeing I, I Monster didn't release their first single until 2001. However, that single was to become hugely popular and used in many TV Programmes and Adverts. Using a sample of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, the Danse de Cygnes, 'Daydream In Blue' reached number 20 in the singles chart - but is still regularly used today in adverts for Ford Focus, UTtv Style channel and more. I Monster also scored with the song 'The Blue Wrath', which was featured as the opening theme tune to hit UK comedy film 'Shaun Of The Dead'. Their album neveroddoreven was released in 2003 and repackaged and re-released in 2004, but despite it's critical acclaim it didn't make a dent in the charts.

In another Sheffield Link, I Monster have provided some music to the newly reopened Weston Park Museum. 'An epic and bracing piece, the music has been provided for a permenant installation at the museum'.

PICTURES

I Monster:

LINKS

The official I Monster website: http://www.imonstermusic.com/

Those pictures look interesting - definitely recognise the location !

The place has changed now - I drove up to have a look at it and it's being completely ripped out and rebuilt (probably for a hotel or summat)

Hermeston Hall. At Oldcoates (just beyond Worksop).

Otherwise known as 'Ghosthouse' - it was featured on Most Haunted, as well as a pilot TV show called 'Spirit-Seekers' with former Most Haunted presenter Phil Whyman.

Lovely building - a lot of it made with the stone from nearby Roche Abbey, it was sold last year and the new owners are renovating large chunks of it - A family bought it and moved in, so I doubt a hotel is being built.

The dogs in the picture are of 'Hermy' (named after the house) and 'Mini' (the huge black one - apparently it was a small pup!).