Unadopted Roads

RichardB

Guest Pomona

Unsure of this one lol

Still not got my three, Malin Bridge/Dial House, up Dykes Lane basically

Malin Bridge to Walkley - got a Pub on the end of it

Stocksbridge - too difficult unless you live there !

Guest boston

Hi

A section of Olive Grove Rd (between Heeley Bank Rd, and the SYT Garage) was unsurfaced for many years up until the late 70s, for some strange reason, whilst the rest of Olive Grove Rd was surfaced and the busses had to use Charlotte Rd to detour

Earl Marshall road was unadopted and indeed a private road - I believe until the 1960s. There was a gate at the Barnsley road end which was locked once a year to maintain its status.

Email me

In the sixties there was one off King James St. I think either Cross King James St. (Up top left before it met Grammer St.) or Rose or Falka St which were opposite each other at the bottom end, above the Lyceum pub..

yes you got it in one.. Cross King James Street was further up. Falka St and Rose St was nearer the bottom King James St..i was born on Falka St oct 1952. moved to Bamforth St 10 years later.King James St and surrounding area was demolished about 1964.

Guest plain talker

The road named MULLBERRY aVE? where the yorkshire ripper was caught at one time was unadopted .SKEETS

The road was Melbourne Ave, at the back of Sheffield Girls High School. and yes I STR it was a private/ unadopted road.

(sorry for coming in 2 years late, just seen this post! :o )

The road was Melbourne Ave, at the back of Sheffield Girls High School. and yes I STR it was a private/ unadopted road.

(sorry for coming in 2 years late, just seen this post! :o )

HI Plain talker Thanks for the correction l must have been daydreaming because l have known the name for 80 years since we went scromping apples on there after coming out of Broomhill school

How about this one in Nether Edge?

In the 1950's Rivelin Road by the entrance gates to the R.C. cemetery used to be unadopted. At that time the road surface was so rutted that you would have needed a army-surplus tank to drive up it. Rivelin Road is the steep hill that runs from Rivelin Valley Road up towards Walkley opposite Hollins Lane.

HD

Whilst we are on this subject Warminster Rd used to be named Wilkinson Rd. skeets

I understand that many roads in the districts that were taken into the city were renamed so as not to duplicate existing streets and cause problems with the post etc.

The suburb of Hillsborough, formerly part of the West Riding until around 1900 had many roads re-named at this time. As a kid I remember a lot of roads with nameplates containing a suffix " formerly XXXXXX road or street". For example Minto Road formally Milner Road and Portsea Road formerly Providence Road. I supposed Wilkinson Road was previously in Derbyshire.

HD

Reason for edit could'nt spell formerly

Strangely enough I snapped this only to-day on Talbot Gardens, unfortunately I didn't take a view of the whole street, but like McArthur "I will return" to take the full view.

I understand that many roads in the districts that were taken into the city were renamed so as not to duplicate existing streets and cause problems with the post etc.

The suburb of Hillsborough, formerly part of the West Riding until around 1900 had many roads re-named at this time. As a kid I remember a lot of roads with nameplates containing a suffix " formerly XXXXXX road or street". For example Minto Road formally Milner Road and Portsea Road formerly Providence Road. I supposed Wilkinson Road was previously in Derbyshire.

HD

Reason for edit could'nt spell formerly

I wish they'd get their finger out. In 1974 Oughtibridge became part of Sheffield, and there's a road there with exactly the same name as ours. Over the years we've had taxis at 3am, a skip delivered we didn't order, a TV licence investigator, and numerous letters, all for our opposite numbers. When they ran the green bag collections, it took 3 months and several phone calls to Veolia before they stopped going to Oughtibridge and came to us, despite having been told the correct postcode. We only discovered what was happening when one phone call elicited the information that not only had they called at no11, but they tried no11a as well. There isn't an 11a on our road, it's no 13.