Cycling

Guest tsavo

Most of us had bikes when we were kids. Lots of adventures and favorite runs. My adventure? Getting stuck in the tram lines and turning right into Fitzallen Square instead of going down Commercial Street.

Tramlines were definitely dodgy for the old bikes.

I used to bike it to work everyday to save the bus fare to buy a bike with gears.

I was one of those clever so and so's who rode fixed wheel.

I used to dodge the tramlines on the Moor.

Up Union St and down Howard Street.

If it was raining I couldn't stop at the bottom of Howard St.

Usually stopped by running into something on the island.

Cars went a lot more slowly then.

I used to race the 52 home to Handsworth - always won

Used to have a VW camper van which loved to follow the supertram tracks on City road and Norfolk park. You would be driving straight and the wheels would just follow the tracks when they turned. Scary, even worse when they were wet.

Sue

Favourite cycle rides were

Lincoln to the Cathederal. Spam sandwich and then straight back home

Eyam with fixed wheel; that was tough and coming back up the Surprise without gears was tougher

Chatsworth & Matlock

Cleethorpes on a long day

My bike today has 24 gears. Its OK but decisions decisions about the best gear to be in

Guest gerryallen

1958 - 1962 approx .Many cycling memories,,At that time along with my mate David (Ernie) Ward we, as Blades, cycled to away matches, Burnley, Bolton, Liverpool etc. and our longest trip to Norwich. We camped or used the Youth hostels. For the Norwich trip we camped, the first night we had trouble finding a field to camp as the street lights had been turned off, found a patch of grass and pitched our tent, following morning we awoke to find we were in someones front garden luckily noone was home. When we arrived in Norwich we again had a problem finding some where to camp and eventually set up between some trees just off the main road on the outskirts of the city. Coming back after the match (1 -1 ) our tent had been stolen, luckily some local lads told us who had taken it and we soon recovered it. A couple of OAP's took us in for the night, gave us breakfast and a couple of bob to see us on our way then we cycled 144 miles back to Carbrook !!!. We spent one bonfire night sleeping around the bonfire outside the YHA at Buxton or Bakewell

Sheffield Don Wheelers early 60s. We used to meet at the Plumpers pub near where Meadowhall is now. Longest ride there and back in the day was Bridlington. When you tell the grandchildren that, they say- yes but grandad why did`nt you phone your dad up to bring you back in the car? Easy, no phone, no car, no would do anyway. Happy days.