School Dinners

Guest tsavo

Love em or hate em, some of us still had to eat them.....hates and favourites.....there must be some favorites surely?

My hate, figs in custard.....oh oh sorry, off to the bathroom at the very thought!

Mmm Chocolate marble cake with peppermint custard. Mmm My favorite :wub:

You're either much younger than me or went to a much posher school!

I am younger but I think the dinnerladies were a bit more adventurous than most. he he Brook School by the way. Wouldn't call it posh.

1963 Seems so long ago i can vaguely remember the school canteen meals apart from the puddings Sago was good, But when it was something with Custard it was so sweet and lumpy you couldn't always recognise what was underneath.

I do remember the best times when we was old enough to leave school at lunch times it was down to the local bakers shop for half a loaf then on to the Chippy to have it filled with chips and scraps MMMM

1963 Seems so long ago i can vaguely remember the school canteen meals apart from the puddings Sago was good, But when it was something with Custard it was so sweet and lumpy you couldn't always recognise what was underneath.

I do remember the best times when we was old enough to leave school at lunch times it was down to the local bakers shop for half a loaf then on to the Chippy to have it filled with chips and scraps MMMM

Would that have been "Hoskins" chippy opposite the "Horse Shoe" on Bellhouse Road Syrup?? We used to be there doing the same thing it was fondly known as "Cobbing" where you hollowed oout the loaf ready to be filled.

Would that have been "Hoskins" chippy opposite the "Horse Shoe" on Bellhouse Road Syrup?? We used to be there doing the same thing it was fondly known as "Cobbing" where you hollowed oout the loaf ready to be filled.

Hi mickjj Absolutely spot on we used to get the cob from the bakery in the shops by the cobblers on Hatfield then walk on to Bellhouse for the chips and in the later months before leaving across to the Horse shoe for a quick half Happy Days

Hi mickjj Absolutely spot on we used to get the cob from the bakery in the shops by the cobblers on Hatfield then walk on to Bellhouse for the chips and in the later months before leaving across to the Horse shoe for a quick half Happy Days

Cobbing must have been common across a lot of schools, we did it at Norfolk School, half a cob from Davy's Bakers then down to the chippy.

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Spam fritters! lovely...liver yuk! semolina mmm, sausage pie lip-smacking, shortcake and custard..nice when you didn't have to do a ura gella on your fork with trying to break the biscuit! cheese flan..one of the favourits..potatoes tasted like they was cooked a year ago!

Guest witch74

My fave was cheese croquettes and chips! Followed by chocolate shortbread pinwheels with chocolate flavour custard....yum!!

When I was in the infants school, every now and then we would get a large glass of yoghurt and a biscuit after the obligatory mince gravy and mash.

Never had school dinners when I was at the juniors but when I got to the comp it was hot dogs every day for five year!!

I still cant pass a hotdog stand now with out having one (or three)....I cant stand those "chipshop" sausage type one you get at some fairs..it has to be a westlers with boiled onions.

*drools and strays off topic*...recently I got a card for Costco down on the wholesale markets and they have a canteen where for £1.50 you can have a Hotdog and coke....these are the best ever and are doing my watse line no good at all!!

Guest bluffman

Always liked the "chicken" supreme and the cheese pie...never liked school puds, they were just not right.

not to bad for a first post!

Always liked the "chicken" supreme and the cheese pie...never liked school puds, they were just not right.

not to bad for a first post!

welcome to the site bluffman, hope you enoy it and have many memories to share with us

Went to Hurlfield from 61 to 66 and had the best dinners ever.

Most of us used to go to the local chippy!!

"Cob and 6" That was a cob of bread, bought with your pal, cut in half then filled with 6d of chips. Brilliant.

Anyone on here go to Hurlfield/ Remember going for a cob and 6?

Guest SheffBlade

Cheese Flan. Was convinced I'd hate it. Just didn't like the look of it at all!! Once tried though Mmmm.... never had the same since *sigh*

I Loved cheese croquettes, never seen 'em in the shops though!

For afters it has to be sponge with pink icing and pink custard :rolleyes:

Hated finding out that the jug of water had been laced with salt by the kids who had the table on 1st sitting lunch :angry:

Guest SheffBlade

Mmm just remembered chocolate sponge with choc sauce. I'm not a huge fan of choccie but that was just yummy!

I am younger but I think the dinnerladies were a bit more adventurous than most. he he Brook School by the way. Wouldn't call it posh.

I've just joined this. I went to Brook- by no means posh- and the dinners were always good. I loved the rice pudding !!!

Hi Hutch

Do I know you then Im 40 something from Finchwell Rd. Went to Handsworth first, Athelstan then Brook.

Welcome to the site.

Looks like we were there at different times but a lot of my childhood was spent on the fields between Waverley Lane and the old pit site.