Haymarket

Sheffield History

I posted this in the Christmas Illuminations thread but it belongs here as well. When I was home in June there was hardly anyone around this area compared to this pre Meadowhall crowd.

Remember those crowns from Sheffield Christmas Illuminations from the 1960s.One year they were down the Moor, another in Fargate.They certainly got there moneys worth out of them, but they did look good!

Remember those crowns from Sheffield Christmas Illuminations from the 1960s.One year they were down the Moor, another in Fargate.They certainly got there moneys worth out of them, but they did look good!

Have a look at this thread abcman

Christmas Illuminations

On 30/08/2009 at 12:23, vox said:

The House of Curls was on Haymarket. 70's & 80's

I'm pretty sure it was the 4 story building on the left. Behind the bus in this picture.

It had a very small reception area on the ground floor and a lift which took you to the main areas on all the upper 3 floors.

It was owned by Robert Weston of Weston Seniors and was a "Shampoo and Set" type place which rented out "bays" to individual hairdressers to run their own businesses. I'd have a guess at 50 or 60 identical bays in total on the three floors, although when I used to do maintenance work there, only the 1st floor was in use. A victim of changing times.

Here's a photo of me with my maintainance pal when we were stripping out one of the floors prior to selling off the equipment. Late 80's

post-3521-1251630981_thumb.jpg :)

The House of Curls was the building that is the Davy's cafe on the older photos upthread. I passed it the other day and it still has the signage there. I read about it in a diary from 1975! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Serendipity said:

The House of Curls was the building that is the Davy's cafe on the older photos upthread. I passed it the other day and it still has the signage there. I read about it in a diary from 1975! 

Well spotted

Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 16-50-19 Google Maps.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/

On 16/10/2008 at 17:31, Guest The Giraffe said:

Does anyone know what the building was originally built for - the one now above KFC?

It looks too elaborate to just be the top of shops!

Is this the building referred to?

t04033.jpg.3a7a18c80324121a5d58569dd88d5382.jpgt04033

Halifax Building Society from Haymarket and the junction with King Street right. 1999.

Previously occupied by John Collier, tailors. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w02159&pos=29&action=zoom&id=92679

Haymarket / King Street, air raid damage, December 1940.  Fifty Shilling Tailors (later rebranded as John Collier.) 

s01319.jpg.2811614e2d94590f0f3f81daeb6fabee.jpgs01319

Brief History of The Fifty Shilling Tailors and John Collier. Also information about their buildings in the art deco style. 

https://buildingourpast.com/2022/04/12/the-fifty-shilling-tailor-and-john-collier/

Fitzalan Market was demolished 1930. C&A Modes built on part of the site (opened 1932) Fifty Shilling Tailors probably built about the same time or shortly afterwards. 

Some of the detail of the building visible on the extreme right. 

v01992.jpg.48742934ef8b0ef578fdc101040ec454.jpgv01992

High Street from Haymarket junction. Marples Hotel on left. 

(Information with Postcard: Subway now being built where X is marked, O marks edge of Fitzalan Square. Postcard bought June 17th 1965 from Shiregreen Post Office, Bellhouse Road (across from 224) after the new owners had moved in.) 

The site was the eastern end of the Fitzalan Market, which was offices (Fitzalan Chambers) where Tommy Wards' coal sales operation was. After demolition shop premises were built, one of which was Price's Tailors (1928) Ltd (trading as Fifty Shilling Tailors) which opened for business in mid June 1931.

• Thanks 1