Haymarket

Sheffield History

HAYMARKET

Running down from Fitzalan Square to Waingate

INFORMATION

Short section of road in the city centre that runs down from Fitzalan Square to the markets/Waingate, probably best known for the huge Marks and Spencers store that was situated there..

Some of the shops previously on Haymarket:

Woolworths

Timpsons

Marks And Spencer

True-form

Willerbys

Lennards

PICTURES

Hi. Can anyone tell me what the Mock Tudor building was when it was first built.

Dont know what it was whenit was built but it used to be The Old Number Twelve Public House--AKA The Double Six.

HAYMARKET

INFORMATION

Short section of road in the city centre that runs down from Fitzalan Square to the markets/Waingate, probably best known for the huge Marks and Spencers store that was situated there..

Woolworths

Timpsons

Marks And Spencer

True-form

Willerbys

Lennards

Busy day on Haymarket

Guest The Giraffe

Does anyone know what the building was originally built for - the one now above KFC?

It looks too elaborate to just be the top of shops!

Does anyone know what the building was originally built for - the one now above KFC?

It looks too elaborate to just be the top of shops!

I am sure somebody will know the exact answer, but I think it was a Burton's (The Tailor) shop at one time, also the Halifax have been there.

Guest transit

I am sure somebody will know the exact answer, but I think it was a Burton's (The Tailor) shop at one time, also the Halifax have been there.

...John Collier tailers were there 60's-70's , in the two centre shops.

Where was Marks & Spencer on Haymarket?

I didn't know there had ever been one there.

I know there was a BHS (which seems to be missing from the list of shops now gone) but don't remember a M&S.

I posted this in the Christmas Illuminations thread but it belongs here as well. When I was home in June there was hardly anyone around this area compared to this pre Meadowhall crowd.

I posted this in the Christmas Illuminations thread but it belongs here as well. When I was home in June there was hardly anyone around this area compared to this pre Meadowhall crowd.

1st, great photo Mick

I do not want to defend Meadowhall, but is it all their fault.

30/40 years ago there were no large supermarkets selling everything, no Meadowhall, no Crystal Peaks, no large Tesco's etc.

The way of modern life is different, people don't go to town on the bus because they can drive somewhere else.

The Haymarket/Markets is quite run down, this has a knock on effect stopping people going there.

Then there is the internet.

Everything is conspiring against inner city shopping.

bit of a morning rant :)

bit of a morning rant :)

Stuart has been having these rants, - not just in the mornings, - for well over 40 years to my knowledge.

Annoying thing is, when its a rant about something which has got worse over time he is usually right! :o

Stuart has been having these rants, - not just in the mornings, - for well over 40 years to my knowledge.

Annoying thing is, when its a rant about something which has got worse over time he is usually right! :o

Its a pity it will never be as busy as it is in Mick's photo again.

Has anyone ever noticed the wood carved heads above the Neville Reed shop.

Its a pity it will never be as busy as it is in Mick's photo again.

There you go see,

He's moaning about not being as good as now as it was then and he's right again! ;-)

Has anyone ever noticed the wood carved heads above the Neville Reed shop.

Not noticed that Neddy.

Next time I go down there (probably Saturday morning) I'll try to remember to look to see if they are still "in situ" on the current building.

Not noticed that Neddy.

Next time I go down there (probably Saturday morning) I'll try to remember to look to see if they are still "in situ" on the current building.

There were quite a few at the tops of each window.

There were quite a few at the tops of each window.

Still there neddy.

Went down this morning but had no camera just my mobile phone, and it had insufficient zoom to close up the heads and was also low on battery at the time.

The Neville Read shop is now a "cash converters / secondhand exchange" type of shop but was closed when I passed.

Most of the heads are painted black and are located on the black mock Tudor style beams.

Still there neddy.

Went down this morning but had no camera just my mobile phone, and it had insufficient zoom to close up the heads and was also low on battery at the time.

The Neville Read shop is now a "cash converters / secondhand exchange" type of shop but was closed when I passed.

Most of the heads are painted black and are located on the black mock Tudor style beams.

Thanks for that, surprised they havn't been ripped off as part of a revamp.

Thanks for that, surprised they havn't been ripped off as part of a revamp.

Photo from last November, just about visible here, if you zoom in a bit, on the black beams just above that TO LET sign on the left.

HAYMARKET

INFORMATION

Woolworths

Timpsons

Marks And Spencer

True-form

Willerbys

Lennards

PICTURES

The House of Curls was on Haymarket. 70's & 80's

I'm pretty sure it was the 4 story building on the left. Behind the bus in this picture.

It had a very small reception area on the ground floor and a lift which took you to the main areas on all the upper 3 floors.

It was owned by Robert Weston of Weston Seniors and was a "Shampoo and Set" type place which rented out "bays" to individual hairdressers to run their own businesses. I'd have a guess at 50 or 60 identical bays in total on the three floors, although when I used to do maintenance work there, only the 1st floor was in use. A victim of changing times.

Here's a photo of me with my maintainance pal when we were stripping out one of the floors prior to selling off the equipment. Late 80's

:)